PDA

View Full Version : going to 7

moin
05-06-2002, 02:06 AM
Hi,

Right now I'm happily working:airguitar with ps6. But I want to skip to 7. What are some new things that are very important in 7? what important things have changed/moved?

CurtisS
05-06-2002, 06:24 PM
I just loaded it last week. Besides some of new filter effects like Liquify, there is a built-in Image Browser that is extremely useful. And it runs in OSX (which is why I upgraded).

moin
05-17-2002, 01:00 PM
hmmm... in that case I'm not in a hurry and also not looking forward to it.

frog
05-17-2002, 03:07 PM
7 is good:

image browser is well useful, honestly.

new brush engine, much easier to get painterly effects. Painting in photoshop has always been too clean, now you can have some texture in your mark-making. far more options for the brushes too.

healing tool, like the rubber stamp on steroids.

you can save presets for all tools, in case there are settings you use a lot. you can also save workspace layouts, great if you have different layouts for different tasks.

I like it :)

moin
05-17-2002, 04:02 PM
hey thanks...now I'm actually looking forward too it!!!

What about the speed? is it faster that the previous version?

with speed I mean: start up, filters, saving and those kind of things.

Catfish
05-18-2002, 10:16 PM
I haven't noticed any changes in speed.

The new brush engine is very cool, but takes a bit of getting used to.
Y'know those preset brushes up the top left? I never use those anymore in PS7, because they reset your carefully selected brush settings. Instead, you have to be careful to just change the brush tip in the brush palette box, or use the [] keys to increase/decrease size. There're a number of little workflow changes like that - takes a bit of getting used to, but I don't notice it anymore.

bibi5000
05-19-2002, 02:52 AM
Photoshop works MUCH faster on a mac. Don't know why.
Besides, lots of RAM speeds Photoshop up.
And use shortcuts as often as you can.
It's also very helpful to create actions for stuff that you use often (i.e. create new layer with feathered selection of x pixels, or copy selection to new layer and apply a certain layer effect, or save the image to a new file and apply a dirt texture to the image, filter it and make a seamless texture out of it... you get it? Actions are COOL!)

But one thing about Photoshop 6 & 7 sucks: the brush palette doesn't float anymore. :mad:

I am still using Photoshop 5.5

Catfish
05-19-2002, 08:12 AM
Odd - the brush palette float on the PC version.

frog
05-20-2002, 08:24 AM
I find that it works about the same on a mac or pc :)

BTW, the brushes palette doesn't float in 6, but in 7 it can. However it's quite big in 7 so I prefer to leave it in the palette well or use right-click to access it - however that doesn't always work on a mac ;) You can also link it to a button on your Wacom pen.

Lots of people seem to have stayed with 5.5, but 6 and 7 have offered many worthwhile changes IMO. Embrace change, it is good :)

studiomiguel
05-20-2002, 05:29 PM
One word for PSD 7.
STABILITY

We were having lot's of trouble at our shop with 6 crashing and generating SCSI errors (a server confilct) on files.
With 7 all of our woes are gone.
7 also has lot's more creative power, i.e. painter. Brushes are more easily created to mimic natural media.
Transform tool is now restricted to the canvas is your layer is so large that it has image area outside the canvas boundaries. This was a huge point of frustration for us before.
Now, if only they'd allow us to scroll into the artboard (area outside the canvas) when zoomed in. All would be good.... oh, also, sub folders for the folders in the layers pallette....
Yet, I digress.
I like 7.

Catfish
05-20-2002, 06:32 PM
Lots of people seem to have stayed with 5.5, but 6 and 7 have offered many worthwhile changes IMO. Embrace change, it is good

I thought 6 was really, really bad. It didn't give any nice new features, the new interface was nothing exciting, and lots of things were actually broken from 5. For instance, an image needed to be in focus before you could use a shortcut key on it - if you clicked on the layer palette, then it was no longer in focus. Lots of little things like that which slowly added up, interupting workflow and bugging the hell out of me.

However, 7 is nice. :)

bibi5000
05-20-2002, 08:33 PM
Here's a screenshot of Photoshop 1.07 running on my old Powerbook. Aah, this was the most beautiful and exciting thing of my youth...

frog
05-21-2002, 06:47 PM
And I thought I was long in the tooth after using it since version 2.5 :)

bibi5000
05-23-2002, 12:15 PM
I begin to feel old....

;)

burningmind
05-26-2002, 11:03 AM
Photoshop is turning into the bitmap equivelant of m$ Word with every new version. Lots of gimmicky useless new features, while regular workflow is slowly being destroyed.

Moving the gradient tool in with the paintbucket tool to make room for the utterly useless stickynote tool in the tool bar in PS6 was annoying (for the 3 people that use it, move it into some damn menu) , but taking the airbrush tool and placing it OUT of the toolbar so the healingbrush can fit in is just ridiculous. The new grouping of items in the toolbar is a nice thought but WHY is the healingbrush first and the paintbrush second? Which do you use more?

I hate the new "docking station" that houses brushes, layers, etc. In theory a nice idea until you need to make a new channel/layer etc. You'll need to tear the palette off to acces the little triangle menu, my preferred way of working.

The new paint engine is far too little far too late. Maybe if they had done this 3 versions ago it might stand up to Corel Painter's brush engine, but in comparison Photoshop's engine is a joke.

I hate the new icon. At the size it is in my taskbar it's an indistinguishable mess of blue's and greens. I used to instantly be able to locate Photoshop, now I launch ImageReady by mistake half the time.

Look at the new Macromedia icons for Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX, Fireworks MX, etc. They're shining examples of clear distinguishable icons.

Why can I still not resize captured brushes? Why can I still not work with multiple layers in multichannel mode? Why can I still not have total control over inks in duotone mode? Who really uses gimmicky crap like liquify?

For a long time user of Photoshop (since 2.5) I feel Adobe has begun to just rape Photoshop since version 6.

So part of the solution to this? Give THE USER the control back over their workflow. Give us FULL GUI customizability. Let US decide what and where should be in the toolbar, etc.

As for the rest, I hope they stop focussing on gimmicky crap and fix the longstanding holes in their app.

Also, I feel they should just integrate Imageready. It's silly I can make slices from layers in PS, but have to go to IR to make slices from guidelines. IR as an app is a joke, it slows to a crawl when used for anything serious. Plus it's rollover tools are buggy as hell. I just hate having to switch to Fireworks for the most simple of tasks ;(

frog
05-26-2002, 01:18 PM
I have a couple of issues with every new release of photoshop myself, but some of the stuff you have said isn't entirely accurate, and some I wanted to comment on anyway:

The new grouping of items in the toolbar is a nice thought but WHY is the healingbrush first and the paintbrush second? Which do you use more?

I don't see why this is important, they are millimeters apart, one has to go on the left and one on the right... If you keep your toolbar in the default position then the paintbrush is closer to the workspace anyway :) And as I'm sure you know most people use the shortcuts to access the tools, so wether the gradient and the bucket are together doesn't really matter since you just hit 'g' either once or twice depending which one you want. Same with the brush and pencil.

I hate the new "docking station" that houses brushes, layers, etc. In theory a nice idea until you need to make a new channel/layer etc. You'll need to tear the palette off to acces the little triangle menu, my preferred way of working.

This isn't true, the triangle menu is still available within the docking station in version 7, as are the icons at the bottom of the palette.

Why can I still not resize captured brushes?

You can. Have you actually used version 7?

The new paint engine is far too little far too late. Maybe if they had done this 3 versions ago it might stand up to Corel Painter's brush engine, but in comparison Photoshop's engine is a joke.

Photoshop will never have a brush engine as good as Painter's, that's like comparing apples and oranges or moaning that the vector tools in illustrator are better. I'm pleased that they have improved the brushes, they're a vast improvement on what was there before, so why complain?

I hate the new icon.

You can change the icon, back to the old one if you like :)

So part of the solution to this? Give THE USER the control back over their workflow. Give us FULL GUI customizability. Let US decide what and where should be in the toolbar, etc.

The best way to handle Photoshop's palette heavy GUI is to use two monitors, one for your work and one for your palettes. This doesn't have to be expensive, I bought a second-hand 15" trinitron monitor for 40 and a second-hand Matrox PCI card for 20 to get dual monitors in win 2000. This makes life in all Adobe and Macromedia applications a lot easier.

My main gripe is that they still haven't fixed the nasty jaggy wacom strokes, if you draw a flowing line in Painter of Illustrator it curves smoothly, not so in Photoshop. Other than that I am very grateful for the new brush engine in 7, and the healing tool is also very useful if you ever do any photomanip or texture work.

the airbrush being part of the brush options is actually good, you can now use several tools in airbrush mode (rubber stamp, pattern stamp, history brush, dodge & burn etc).

The interface changes that happen between every version you just simply get used to in time, especially if you use the shortcuts :)

frog
05-26-2002, 02:23 PM
Correction:

regarding the unsmooth lines with a Wacom, I've just discovered that in the brushes palette there is a little checkbox named smoothing that fixes this problem, hurrah!!!!

:thumbsup:

burningmind
05-26-2002, 04:52 PM
And as I'm sure you know most people use the shortcuts to access the tools, so wether the gradient and the bucket are together doesn't really matter since you just hit 'g' either once or twice depending which one you want. Same with the brush and pencil.

Nope, hitting 'g' just selects the current tool that's in the foreground. You still have to manually switch from gradient to paintbucket.

This isn't true, the triangle menu is still available within the docking station in version 7, as are the icons at the bottom of the palette.

Not while they are docked. You have to tear them off to acces the little triangle.

Photoshop will never have a brush engine as good as Painter's, that's like comparing apples and oranges or moaning that the vector tools in illustrator are better.

How is comparing one brush engine that aims to mimick natural media with another brush engine that aims to mimick natural media like apples and oranges?

I'm pleased that they have improved the brushes, they're a vast improvement on what was there before, so why complain?

Because they should have done it three versions ago, the current implication is hardly to be taken serious.

You can change the icon, back to the old one if you like :)

The old icon isn't part of the icon library in the new icon file. I now have it set to some generic photoshop file icon which most resembles the old one. I could re-install 6 and use something like microangelo, but why should I? Who on earth designed such ugly non-functional icons? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The best way to handle Photoshop's palette heavy GUI is to use two monitors

This is a clear sign of a bad GUI. A 2nd monitor should never be a necessity for any app. Macromedia cleaned up their interfaces by getting rid of all the floating panels in a GOOD way in their new MX versions. I find the PS docking panel a shoddy implementation

frog
05-26-2002, 05:55 PM
Excellent, tit-for-tat!!! :)

Nope, hitting 'g' just selects the current tool that's in the foreground. You still have to manually switch from gradient to paintbucket.

Not if you set your preferences to not use the shift key for tool switch, or if you haven't then hit shift-g.

Not while they are docked. You have to tear them off to acces the little triangle.

This is not true, the triangle is available when they are docked, it appears by the palette name when you highlight the docked palette.

How is comparing one brush engine that aims to mimick natural media with another brush engine that aims to mimick natural media like apples and oranges?

Because it's called Photoshop , it was never intended as a natural media emulator but as an image retouching tool. The app called Painter was the one that was designed to mimick natural media.

I haven't used the latest versions of the Macromedia packages but if they've tydied them up that's great :) The old versions of Flash and Director were a nightmare with one monitor.

burningmind
05-26-2002, 06:26 PM
Not if you set your preferences to not use the shift key for tool switch, or if you haven't then hit shift-g.

OK, so how do I go from brush to airbrush without the mouse?

This is not true, the triangle is available when they are docked, it appears by the palette name when you highlight the docked palette.

Found it. Honestly though, is this the best solution?

Because it's called Photoshop, it was never intended as a natural media emulator but as an image retouching tool.

Then why the new brush engine? Is it not better to focus on workflow and key features then?

I haven't used the latest versions of the Macromedia packages but if they've tydied them up that's great :) The old versions of Flash and Director were a nightmare with one monitor.

Well, download the Flash MX demo and give it a look. Flash 5 was floating panel hell, the new MX interface that they're using for all their new apps is very well thought out. It's a radical departure, but sometimes you need to do these things.

frog
05-26-2002, 06:57 PM
OK, so how do I go from brush to airbrush without the mouse?

Well, the airbrush is now an option rather than a tool, and as I said in my first post this does have the benefit that many tools can behave like an airbrush. It does mean though that there is no longer a key for it... A minor annoyance if you switch between brush and airbrush a lot I agree. If you use a tablet it's no problem though, just reach up to the toolbar and click the airbrush and then carry on painting.

Another thing I like to do is when I'm using a brush is I toggle the palette on by clicking the icon on the far right of the options bar so that I have access to all the controls and then toggle it back off when I need to (F5 works for this too). this means I can position the palette in a convenient spot near where I'm painting without it getting in my way.

Then why the new brush engine? Is it not better to focus on workflow and key features then?

As I said, the brush engine is a vast improvement on what was there before. It is actually surprisingly good. It won't ever rival Painter though, because Painter is a dedicated natural media emulator and has a bewildering amount of options. It's good that we are now able to create artwork in Photoshop that isn't just limited to that ultra clean look it had in the past. the other thing is that many people will be grateful for the ability to get some brushwork into their images without having to grapple with Painter's awkward interface.

I will definitely check out the new version of Flash, hopefully the new interface won't be too much of a learning curve :)

burningmind
05-27-2002, 05:49 AM
A minor annoyance if you switch between brush and airbrush a lot I agree.

Like me :) I can tell you it's a MAJOR annoyance.

frog
05-27-2002, 08:41 AM
One thing I would have liked is for the right-click when the brush is selected to bring up the full brush palette rather than just the presets, then you could easily change any of the settings (including the airbrush option) without having to move your pen/mouse or press a key.

One way round this is to create your own brush library and load that so that it comes up on the right click menu rather than the default photoshop library, but unfortunately the aibrush option is still not accessible this way - it is only on the toolbar and in the full brush palette.

Another airbrush annoyance is that the shortcut for flow control seems broken, in my version anyway. According to the documentation pressing a number key controls opacity and pressing shift + a number key controls flow. In my version the shift key does nothing, and the number key controls opacity with a normal brush and flow with the airbrush but to control both you have to use the mouse or pen. This is presumably a bug that will be fixed in the next update.

As for workflow, I find it ok. What improvements would you like them to make?

frog
05-27-2002, 12:37 PM
After giving this a little more thought I have a solution.

You can create and save your own brush presets, that specify what brush and settings you want (including airbrush). All you then need to do is create an action that calls up this preset and you can assign a key to that action.

There are 35 different key combinations you can use so it's quite easy to create an action set that calls up quite a few different brushes.

If you print yourslef out a table with your keys & actions you'll have a custom set of shortcuts :)

AndrewMyers
06-05-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by burningmind
[B] Photoshop will never have a brush engine as good as Painter's, that's like comparing apples and oranges or moaning that the vector tools in illustrator are better.

I wonder why people always do the apples/oranges thing. I mean, I can compare apples and oranges right now: They are both fruit. Apples are red and smooth, while oranges are orange and bumpy. I could go on.

I use Photoshop mainly as a painting medium. I use 6 right now, but I've tried out 7. I've got several problems with it.

First off, I pretty much use 2 main parameters of the brush - if it's opacity or size are controlled by the stylus or not, and if it's hard edged or soft edged. I use the [] keys a lot to resize. Sometimes I'll make my own custom brushes. I find it much harder to just get these few simple things working in a fast manner in 7. It seems so much harder to just get a round brush that's size is pressure affected, and that's it.

Also, many times I'll take screenshots from one program and bring them in to Photoshop for whatever reason. Prior to 7, you could just take the screenshot, and when you opened a new file, it would automatically be the size of whatever image is in the clipboard. This no longer seems to be the case. Am I wrong?

Other than that, it's alright. There are other things that I hate about Photoshop that I'm not sure have been fixed or not (since by beta of 7 has since run out).

Whenever I undo, Photoshop ALWAYS goes back to whatever layer it was on before the undo, and sets layer visibilities back, as well. THIS IS SO ANNOYING! How many times I can think of the heartache I've had when I'll spend 5 minutes working on the color of a character only to find out that the whole time I've been painting on the SKETCH LAYER because I used "undo" right after creating the new layer. This is one of the most annoying things ever, and I'm telling you, I run into it all the time. This leads me to believe that many other people have this problem, too. Am I right? Has this been fixed in 7?

Or what about Photoshop not liking when you try to just make one dot of color with a Wacom tablet? If I'm ever doing anything requiring a dot (therefore without any stroking motion) it just doesn't register, and I end up having to use the mouse.

Other than these things, I do love Photoshop and use it every day.

Andrew

Iain McFadzen
06-20-2002, 06:32 PM
Our studio all installed PS 7 yesterday, and it is so bad almost everyone went back to using PS 5.5 today. The new stuff is worthless and they have broken stuff that was just fine the way it was.

What a crock of shit.

frog
06-20-2002, 07:03 PM
The new stuff is worthless and they have broken stuff that was just fine the way it was

If you do any amount of painting in PS then you wouldn't think that. In the past it was a nightmare getting some texture and grit into a photoshop painting, now it is easy.

There's nothing broken in it, just some things have moved or changed. In 3 weeks of use you will have completely forgotten it.

Iain McFadzen
06-20-2002, 07:47 PM
If you do any amount of painting in PS then you wouldn't think that. In the past it was a nightmare getting some texture and grit into a photoshop painting, now it is easy.

I paint in Painter, I do photo manip and textures in PS. I'll admit the new Clone variant is quite nice, but that's it. Hardly worth the upgrade.

There's nothing broken in it, just some things have moved or changed.

If something is needlessly more dofficult to achieve than it was before then it is broken IMO. And they STILL haven't fixed that 50%grey/invisible cursor issue that's been there for years.

In 3 weeks of use you will have completely forgotten it.

I am not going to use it so I am unlikely to find that out one way or the other.

Iain McFadzen
06-20-2002, 08:30 PM
OMG! I just found out that you can't save a .tga file with a seperate alpha channel from PS7!! I thought that defaulting the .bmp format to 32bit w/alpha was stupid enough (a lot of other apps can't even read them) but at least they give you the OPTION to save as good old 24 bit.

lol that is gonna really annoy the entire games and post industries in one go. I reckon my employers will be asking for their money back. I'm just glad they bought it before I wasted my own cash on it. I am mildly disappointed but if I had payed for it out of my own pocket I would be absolutely livid.

I repeat: what a crock of shit

Worst update ever.
/

frog
06-21-2002, 09:38 AM
Hahaha, that's true, they "fixed" the TGA file format and there's been an uproar on the Adobe forums about it. You can get round it by copying the TGA import/export plugin from a previous version and overwritng the new "improved" ones.

Granted that is a f*** up on their part.

For the rest of it I think that the upgrade is great, so I guess it's horses for courses...

Jol
06-28-2002, 11:10 AM
Interesting thread and comments (Hi Iain).

We have a team just switched from 5.5 to 7 and not very happy with getting to grips with the new look.

Has anyone got any recomendations on books other than the shipped manuals. We've really liked the Peachpit Press Wow books in the past but the Photoshop 7 books aren't out yet.

Has anyone used any 3rd party Photoshop 7 books yet and got any recomendations? Everyone here is pretty up to speed on 5.5 so really something thet deals with the main changes (especially in the GUI) would be good.

ANy suggestions welcome, thanks.

frog
06-28-2002, 01:01 PM
No tutorials that I know of yet I'm afraid, and it's so long since I used 5.5 that I can't even remember what changed between that and version 6... Except I remember being annoyed about the brushes palette being removed but now it's back again.

If you have specific questions about 7's GUI or workflow please post here or even email me. I honestly think that the changes are being overexaggerated, you get used to them quickly and then forget all about it. that's what I did anyway :)

I guess though, if you have no need for the brush engine you may not need to upgrade, especially if you fear change :D *joke, please don't flame me* :D.

:)

Jol
06-28-2002, 01:13 PM
Thanks Frog.

I think the new brush stuff will be useful as we hand paint a lot of textures. Not really afraid of change but as the team has a big work load we want change to go as smoothly as possible.

Still keen on knowing any good books, these are less important for people making the transition from 5.5 to 7 but we occasionally get new starters who haven't ever used Photoshop an I think the 3rd party books are usually much 'friendlier' than the Adobe ones.

New starters do get some personal help but work load usually means they have to work their way through a book.

On a related topic is there anyway to 'reset' the GUI in 7 to look more like previous versions?

Cheers

Jol

frog
06-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Resetting the GUI to look like 5.5 isn't possible AFAIK. The big change from that version I guess is that the options palette is now a toolbar. You cannot reset this but you can undock it or move it to the bottom of the screen. I got used to it in version 6 and actually quite like it as it is. If your team are mostly working on single monitor setups then they can shift-tab (instead of just tab) to clear all the palettes off the screen except the toolbar and options palette, which leaves most of the screen for artwork except those two very useful palettes. If you have dual monitor setups you probably don't bother with tabbing.

Apart from that quite big change, there is the palette well, but you can just ignore it if you don't like it. It's quite useful if you are short of screen space but it is still more efficient to display/hide palettes with the keyboard IMO (F6 for colour palette for example, or F5 for brushes).

Book wise it is many years since I last bothered reading a book on PS. I read the Wow book for version 2 back in 95, since then the only one that ever impressed me was the "Photoshop Bible", latest version is for 6 though.

Apart from a minor learning curve with the new toolbar/options palette I found the transitions between the last few versions completely painless, hopefully you and your team will find the same :)

Jol
06-28-2002, 02:28 PM
Thanks Frog.

We're using single monitors I'm afraid.

The Shift-Tab tips good!

Hope the curve is as easy as you say, people have been a bit put off by the initially very different looking interface.

AndrewMyers
07-02-2002, 06:02 PM
I've got another bone to pick with PS7. I've still got PS6 installed because of this. I like doing clean, graphic paintings. In PS6 and all Photoshop versions before that supported pressure tablets, if I have a black brush at 100% opac and I set the brush pressure to "size" and nothing else, then when I press the stylus lightly I'll get a line that's superthin but nonetheless still 100% opaque. This is great for really clean linework.

In PS7 however, even if I have a round, hard brush that's totally opaque and I've only got the pressure to affect brush size and nothing else, when the pen pressure gets very light, the lines come out slightly FUZZY and GREY instead of nice and hard and black. I have yet to find a way to fix this.

What's the deal with this? I mean, I like natural brushes, but what about if I want to have a brush that works just like the old "non" natural brushes? Anyone else had this problem?

Andrew

Sangotten
07-08-2002, 01:56 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned...

My Wacom Tablet (Graphire) doesn't respond as well in PS7 as it did in PS6, at least not the way I want. Everytime that I think I've got the the airbrush it turns out to be the paintbrush. I know the Airbrush thing is gone and that you have pick the Paintbrush and choose a brush...BUT I SUCKS!!!

I don't see much improvement, it may be faster and better looking but I'm sticking to PS6!!!

thinKer3D
07-08-2002, 07:38 PM
:: First off, Photoshop 7.0 is an excellent release. Adobe has been surgically careful not to make Photoshop un-Photoshop and they've done a greate job. The engineers and scientists at adobe also seem to have given a kick in speed to some of Photoshops filters and the new paint engine in time will prove to be a highly valuable tool for designers. The Zoomview export is also cool. The integration between Photoshop and ImageReady is even tighter than before and lots of bugs in ImageReady has been fixed. The stiff competition from Fireworks forced Adobe to package ImageReady too quickly so there wasn't enough time to fix all the errors. Now that's not the issue.

As for the interface, it is more streamlined than anything and doesn't break the natural workflow of Photoshop except for a few tool positioning that was made to room for other tools. The face lift on the icons are beautiful, the Windows XP support is very much welcome and the File Browser is a very useful tool (saves hours of work).

The Pen tool now automatically converts to shape layer. This a 1000x more acurate that previously converting a Pen shape to a selection, making and layer out of it and filling it. All that is now done in one smooth process.

Also, Illustrator 10 was released before Photoshop 7 therefore Photoshop naturally adds new support for AI 10.

The liqufy tools is an indispensable tool and users just don't know how deep and powerfull it is. Again time will reveal it's true power as I am shocked by its current abilities. Photoshop 7 fixes the Liquify and Extract speed and accuracy.

Finally, Photoshop 7 seems to start faster on my PC. Credit goes to whatever Adobe did and Windows XP for executing programs faster. There's also lots of nerd/mathematical fixes that comes with every release of Photoshop and Photoshop 7 is no exception. So instead of finding meaningless this like "I don't like the icon shift", in comparison all the positive changes, look deeper into the software and you just might be surprised.

Grade? Photoshop 7 ROCKS! :buttrock:

::

thinKer3D
07-08-2002, 07:52 PM
:: Just a note. After playing with the new paint engine for weeks now, it is incredibly solid and fast as if it's been there before. I feel Adobe has worked on the new paint engine for a long time. Probably through various Photoshop releases and now a very mature rich set of brush features. Damn I love this software! :thumbsup:
::

AndrewMyers
07-09-2002, 12:49 AM
thinker3d - yeah, I agree with everything you've said there, but did you really read what I said? There are some great things about PS6 that seem to have been taken out or made much harder to accomplish. That shouldn't happen in an upgrade. Because of my particular needs, I need to keep PS6 installed while also having 7, because there are some effects that I just can no longer do properly without it.

This is the only time I've ever actually been FORCED to do this with any new piece of software.

-Andrew

PatrickTTLui
07-14-2002, 09:18 AM
I'm kind of disappointed PS7 doesnt have a smart layer click like flash 5-6. They should have something so the picture on that layer you double click, you automatically go to that layer or something. Instead of clicking the layer box..sometimes there can be many layers.. I think that could be useful. :airguitar

kiwi
07-14-2002, 10:36 AM
There will be some PS 7 books out soon.Gary David Bouton has a new book on 7 almost ready to release and I am pretty sure that the other pros will have theirs on the shelves at the same time :)

I am going to stick with 6 and see what 8 brings personally when its get released.

I wanted 16 bit layer functionality myself,more then a few people were pissed it was not included in 7,but hey all the best to you guys who are enjoying it :thumbsup:

I suppose if Adobe made PS all meat and no veg it would be one brilliant app,but then people would not upgrade so I guess thats why they hold back on certain areas so that situation does not arise :)

Stu.

wyktor
07-14-2002, 11:42 PM
Personally,, I think that the best new feature is finally working SDK kit (They also did SDK for Illustrator).

I agree that most of new features are crap but I LOVE healing&patch stuff. When I need to fix bad photo in 1 minute (which happen very often in my job:) it's absolutely awesome.

I would appreciate more control over the effects though. Some way to apply all effects in non-destructive mode or something like that.

frog
07-15-2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by PatrickTTLui
I'm kind of disappointed PS7 doesnt have a smart layer click like flash 5-6. They should have something so the picture on that layer you double click, you automatically go to that layer or something. Instead of clicking the layer box..sometimes there can be many layers.. I think that could be useful. :airguitar

Hold down the control key and right-click anywhere on the canvas for a list of the layers under the mouse pointer (ordered from top-most to bottommost): select a layer-name from the list to make it the active layer.

Add the Alt key (Alt-right-click) to automatically choose the top-most layer under the pointer. Alternatively, you may turn on the Auto Select Layer option in the Options palette (while the Move tool [V] is selected).

:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.