PDA

View Full Version : volumetric banding

JeffAmm
07-05-2003, 07:59 PM
Has anyone else experienced this. Whenever I use a volumetric light in my scene and render the scene as an animation the "spolight" always renders either pixelated or banding lines can be seen only in the light cone portion. Everything else seems fine. I've tried rendering the scene in several different codecs and they all produce the banding.

If I render to a single frame the image is perfect.

Could it be my graphics card (GForce 4200) or is it lightwave.

webfox
07-05-2003, 09:00 PM
What does it look like when you render a single frame? Do you get banding then?

BTW... never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever render to animation. Render to frames and composite from there.

JeffAmm
07-05-2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks Webfox for your advice.

Ok now I guess I've have to confess I am a complete newbie.

So I render my animation to individual graphic files (say 60 of them) and then suck them up into some other program to render. Is that correct?. My question is what software is this? Adobe Premiere or Adobe After Effects and while you don't have to give me a whole tutorial on this but once in this software do I just import these files in and render?

Kvaalen
07-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by JeffAmm
Thanks Webfox for your advice.

Ok now I guess I've have to confess I am a complete newbie.

So I render my animation to individual graphic files (say 60 of them) and then suck them up into some other program to render. Is that correct?. My question is what software is this? Adobe Premiere or Adobe After Effects and while you don't have to give me a whole tutorial on this but once in this software do I just import these files in and render?

Premiere and AE will do the job, but there are many other programs that can do it too including freewares.

You can also do it in Lightwave: Using the Image Editor import the first image, choose for image type "Sequence" and aplly that image as the backdrop.

devi8
07-05-2003, 11:14 PM
From the info youve provided, it sounds like a video compression artifact to me. What codec or compression method do you select when you save to animation? Some are better than others, but colour banding is very common when you get similar colours next to each other, for example in a volumetric spotlight.
Not too many ways round this, other that to try a different codec and see if the results are any better. Also up the quality on the codecs settings, this can make a big difference.
As suggested earlier, id render to frames too. Then you can try different codecs without the render overheads:)

IF your running Windows xp or 2000, download the new media nine codec from microsoft, and the encoding program. It supports VERY high bit rates, and the quality is superb if your not worried about file size:D

Devi

allaboutkeys
07-05-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Kvaalen
Premiere and AE will do the job, but there are many other programs that can do it too including freewares.

I'm also a newbie. Can you recommend any freeware program?

allaboutkeys

zuzzabuzz
07-06-2003, 05:08 AM
registering Quicktime is relatively cheap ($30) and will let you import sequences. . .add simple effects..do simple editing. You can then export to different codecs/file formats. I used it a lot before I got Lightwave. Now i have DFX+. yay

robinson
07-06-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by allaboutkeys
I'm also a newbie. Can you recommend any freeware program?

allaboutkeys

download VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/index) , it's free and great ! :beer:

but you can just import .bmp and .tga sequences. (and sure .avi, mpg ...), in some cases this free program is even better and faster than premiere... :thumbsup:

Brett H.
07-06-2003, 05:43 AM
I keep hearing this about VirtualDub, "it'll let you import image sequences", but I have yet to figure out how. Can anyone point me in the right direction (and yes I've read the help files and Google and I can't seem to find any instruction on this).

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Brett

robinson
07-06-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Brett H.
I keep hearing this about VirtualDub, "it'll let you import image sequences", but I have yet to figure out how. Can anyone point me in the right direction (and yes I've read the help files and Google and I can't seem to find any instruction on this).

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Brett

File > open video file > change to image sequence under file type (in german Dateityp):)

JeffAmm
07-06-2003, 06:24 AM
Thanks to all for your advice and comments.

Attached here is a zip file containing a jpg file and two tiny animation files. Notice that the JPG render the volutmetric light appears nice and smooth. In the 3 frame animation files (one is DIVX and other is Microsoft Video1 compression) there is pixelation or banding.

I will as many have suggested render the individual frames and then composite them in another program and see how that turns out but I'm surprised that most people using volumetric lighting in lightwave have not experienced this.

JeffAmm
07-06-2003, 06:30 AM
I guess the file attachment was too large for the board. I'll try and post them to a site and put the link here later. Thanks

Brett H.
07-06-2003, 06:58 PM
robinson,
Thanks! I seriously have tried to figure this out for awhile, in fact a few people told me "it can't be done with VirtualDub alone", I guess I just never checked that pull-down.

This gives me a chance to try different codecs from image sequence without the rendering hit (I don't own a comp package).

Brett

allaboutkeys
07-06-2003, 09:53 PM
robinson: VirtualDub works like a charm. Thanks for this tip! :thumbsup:

allaboutkeys

richpr
07-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Windows Movie Maker (downloadable and included in XP) will probably have some capabilities as well...

I use Virtual Dub for most AVI stuff as well... great little tool...plenty of plugins for it too...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.