PDA

View Full Version : Pflow tools box#1: "Mapping object" - hold texture after spawn?

jussing
03-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey all, I have a problem with particles inheriting the color of the emitter's texture.

Simply put, I want the particles to maintain the color they have at birth.
What they do now is, the texture keeps "playing" on the spawned particles.

I guess this is not really related to Pflow Tools at all, because all the "mapping object" operator does, is give the particle the proper UV coordinate, and that works fine. What I need to do is have each particle hold the texture from the frame it is spawned on, instead of playing the whole animated texture.

The only solution I have right now is to set up at particle system PER FRAME.... Ack! Please tell me I don't have to do that.

:)

Thanks,
- Jonas

JonathanFreisler
03-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I am probably wrong, but i THINK i recall reading that Bercons spawn op he wrote had the spawned particles inherit the materials as you described?

I could be horribly wrong though >< Let my try and find it again.

edit:
Heh just found your other post and yeh, i'm beyond wrong, it stores particle age. ><

simonenastasi
03-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Bobo did a tutorial that does exactly what you ask. try www.boboland.com (http://www.boboland.com) , or searching this forum.
EDIT: nop, not boboland.com :| http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/

jussing
03-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi guys, thanks for your responses!

But I'm sorry, the Bobo script only does what the Pflow tools do - it inherits the UVW mapping, and applies the same texture material.

What I need is a Pflow SCRIPT operator that will assign a constanc particle color, based on texture color at the moment of birth or script execution.

- Jonas

Bobo
03-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi guys, thanks for your responses!

But I'm sorry, the Bobo script only does what the Pflow tools do - it inherits the UVW mapping, and applies the same texture material.

What I need is a Pflow SCRIPT operator that will assign a constanc particle color, based on texture color at the moment of birth or script execution.

- Jonas

It is possible, I have such an example on my PFlow Script Show DVD.
Since I am not expecting anyone to buy it (;)), in short it used the Speed By Surface operator to get the color of the closest surface point, then hi-jacked that data into the Vertex Color channel of the particle using a Script Operator and rendered it using a Vertex Color map.

Piflik
03-11-2009, 03:47 PM
That is one nifty approach... :bowdown:

And I am going to get the DVD (in due time...)

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2009, 03:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.