PDA

View Full Version : WIP:old tree scene advise needed.

sampi
07-05-2003, 06:19 PM
hi all
what do you think of this scene ?
i need some C&C about lighting texturing and the main idea .
thanks.
http://lightwaver.250free.com/lw/morning13_2.jpg

Wesball
07-06-2003, 09:05 AM
ahh...

was A Bug's Life an inspiration? :)

One thing is the grass... it looks too much like fur... you need to up the coursness... (in my opinion of course) ;)

Also, the tree's leaves don't look random enough... need more perhaps.

Also... that cliff in the backgound is too simple... I think it needs to be much more rugged-looking. Its flat and boring.

Pretty good start though. :)

sampi
07-06-2003, 04:41 PM
thanks Wesball
yes it is A Bug's Life an inspiration
ok for now i'll start with grass and the leaves.
so pleas come here again to c my ubdate .
BTW your pic (tree grass clouds) was my FAV.
:rolleyes:

Rei Ayanami
07-06-2003, 09:55 PM
more leaves, or thin out the (that made sense) tree. the ratio to branch to leaf is too low.

grass on the far side not as good, try making some bend over at the edge so that it isnt so obvious at the base

good start

CourtJester
07-06-2003, 11:04 PM
I suspect that's a TreesDesigner tree, no?

A tip for that, is this: instead of modelling a single leaf and then applying it with Leaf Designer, model an entire small twig with five to thirty leaves on it as a single leaf, and then apply that. You'll get a much more filled out canopy that way. Also, 100 copies of 100 polygons clones much faster than 10000 copies of 1 polygon. The resulting tree will also appear a lot bushier, without having to multiply the branches beyond reason in TreesDesigner.

Here's an example of the difference: the left tree was done using a single leaf, and the right was done using a twig (both shown in inset). Same tree in both cases.

http://www.altyna.com/examples/oakcomparo.jpg

Wesball
07-06-2003, 11:32 PM
sampi...

btw... I think your tree could work without alot of leaves too...

If your going for a almost dead tree, then you need more branches and branches that branch off of branches... (try saying that 3 times fast) :)

Anyway, just wanted to bring that up... which are you going for?

sampi
07-07-2003, 05:18 AM
thanks 2 all of you.
Rei Ayanami :
now with more leaves so what do u think ?
and pleas ignore the grass on the other side its just a TEMP .

CourtJester:
yes its polas PLUGIN but i spent mor than an hour for tweaking it . and thanks for that great tip i made it as u tell but how to control them with POINT-CLONE-PLUS ?
I found it so hard :D any tip for that ?

Wesball:
thanks man i agree with that .
BTW (again) i have no more free memmory for saying that

I made more than 500 test render last night . :shrug:
thanks again
http://lightwaver.250free.com/lw/morning14_2.jpg

CourtJester
07-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by sampi
CourtJester:
yes its polas PLUGIN but i spent mor than an hour for tweaking it . and thanks for that great tip i made it as u tell but how to control them with POINT-CLONE-PLUS ?
I found it so hard :D any tip for that ?

If you are not using Polas' Leaf Designer, then it can be trickier, but the same principle of making and cloning twigs rather than individual leaves applies.

Try looking for a plug called Point Clone Extra v3, I think it's written by a CGTalker (faulknermano, I believe). It has more control than Point Clone Plus (especially Normal Clone), and it preserves UV's too, an essential for doing leaves.

Remi
07-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Is that a cliff in the backround? I can't tell....no depth there...I would also work on that or the lighting....other than that...look pretty good. :thumbsup:

Mangled Poly
07-07-2003, 05:29 PM
I think you should really work on your lighting and textures a little bit with some more dramatic lighting and darker more contrast textures you can really turn this into something

sampi
07-07-2003, 05:58 PM
ok
thanks
i'm working on it .
i'll start with the cliff and maybe change tha camera angle.
then tweak the lighting and the texturing .
please com again to c the ubdate.
thanks

anieves
07-07-2003, 06:36 PM
I see you suggested layering on soil on the cliff wall but it is not obvious enough. I would search for good references to nail that down. It just looks too much like ground rather that a cliff wall.

anieves
07-07-2003, 06:42 PM
I did a quick search found this. Just reference...grand canyon (http://www.cs.rice.edu/~jnavarro/pictures/Sample/Grand%20Canyon,%20North%20Rim.html)

richpr
07-08-2003, 07:20 AM
I would put more bends and twists in the main branches to make it more natural, they shoot out too straight...

Nice scene...

sampi
07-08-2003, 05:00 PM
anieves : thanks to your help .
richpr : thanks alot i'll switch to the tree after finishing the cliff .
thanks to u all .
here is an ubdate to the scene. hope u like it .

http://lightwaver.250free.com/lw/cliff_2.jpg

Remi
07-08-2003, 05:21 PM
I would like to see it from the original angle...still looks a little off to me...some stretching here and there. Can't really pin point what looks off...I hate it when that happens..good work though...keep going:thumbsup:

Joril
07-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Hmm, about the background, I'd just drop the current one and replace it with a simple, nice horizon. Distand hills and the like...

Wesball
07-08-2003, 09:59 PM
Hmm....

I think your on to something now sampi.

I agree that the birds eye view doesn't work.

try rendering it in too passes... render the tree, then render the background.... then blur the background a bit to see if that helps give it a sense of depth.... also you could try fog...

and another thing... play with some dramtic lighting.... try to get alot of shadows on the surface.... and get rid of some of the ambience.

just just thoughts.. :-)

sampi
07-09-2003, 01:07 AM
thanks to your C&C (s) that what I call HONESTY.
Wesball : I uploaded the PIC before reading your comment .
NEXT time I'll play with the lighting .
and the birds eye view just to show the cliff from the sky .
I didnt use passes before so any tip or tut for that .
thanks LIGHTWAVERS thanks alot .

http://lightwaver.250free.com/lw/cliff_02.jpg

Wesball
07-09-2003, 02:07 AM
I think your starting to get somewhere now.

As for the leaves... use a fractal texture on the diffuse and/or color to randomize th colors a bit... there too solid of a green.

:)

sampi
07-09-2003, 02:46 PM
thanks guys
I realy appreciate your help.
Wesball :
hi man and i think the translucency works fine for that .
here is a test render to show the leaves and the tree texture .

http://lightwaver.250free.com/lw/tree_6.jpg

Rei Ayanami
07-09-2003, 07:36 PM
lookin much better, i still think that a tree with a trunk that big would have much more little branches on it, with the leaves coming off them. but anyway big improvement now.

now that i can see it more, the texture map on the trunk is bugging me, it bark doesnt flow like that, it should be more round and round, not going up. and big no to the bending upwards of the black lines!

still big improvement, end result should be good.

sampi
07-12-2003, 03:58 AM
help help help :cry:
Object loading failed .
the scene is empty .
so please help .

milqman
07-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Can you give a little more detail?

Did you ever rename your object? Does your object exist anymore (did you accidently delete it?)

Point lightwave to your object if it can't find it. If you can't find your object, your in trouble :shrug: Check your Recycle Bin.

sampi
07-12-2003, 04:30 AM
i was working befor 15 MIN and saved the last ubdate .
and the lay out was frozen while saveing all objects .
so i ended the task .
started it again but that error MSG appears while loading the objects .
i think the object file is too heavy MORE than 45 MB .
i have an other copy of the tree so i opened the scene file with an editor and placed a new path to the tree as a 1st layer .
but the error MSG a ppears again .
MAYBE I'M NOT THAT PROF BUT I'M NOT A NOOBAI
:rolleyes:

milqman
07-12-2003, 04:53 AM
Hmm, I don't know what to make of it, I'd say your OBJ files were corrupt maybe.
But I am far from a professional so don't take my advice too much to heart.

LW has been acting very quirky for me lately too.

:shrug:

sampi
07-12-2003, 05:22 AM
thanks miqman
i think its all about the latest ubdate 7.5c .
i have 512 MB of RAM what do think ?
anyway
this is the latest test render before the error but 2 or 3 weeks of effort has gone :cry:
http://lightwaver.00freehost.com/lw/tree_14.jpg

Flashfire
07-12-2003, 05:43 AM
I really like what you're going for in this image... but it does need some variety to break up the monotony of the vegetation, and possibly the ground surfacing on the promontory where the tree resides...

Not to highjack your thread by posting an image, but here is an example I completed today (alas, without the benefit of Tree Designer).

http://www.geocities.com/lw_flashfire/images/riverbed.txt

The variation in either the length and courseness of your grass, or possibly the addition of different grass / weed types will go a long way to bring your image one step closer to perfection.

The lighting seems fine; I cannot really comment on it, as I am uncertain what type of lighting rig you are using. As an example, the image above uses a key light (area level 5, 75% Intensity) with shadows, as well as a Fill light (distant, 25% Intense) and a Rim Light (distant, 15% Intense), both without shadows. The key light was set to a high white with yellow tinting, with the fill using a slighty blue-tinted version of the key. The rim was a white-mauve color and placed off to the side, to simulate ambiance and to provide a nice highlight to the diffuse channels.

If you opt to go this route for your rig, be sure to have your fill and rim lighting diffuse enabled only (no spec, no shadows).

I hope that gives you some ideas... :)

Cheers!

sampi
07-12-2003, 04:36 PM
I realy appreciate your help Flashfire

i was in my way to add a small planets and flowers ...etc
but as i say a 2 or 3 weeks of effort has gone .
the file is corrupted i guess .
i'm using 4 lights the main light is spot with high Intense about 250 of yellow color to light the all scene (somthing like desert light) and tow ambiant light with MID Intense one for the bacground cliff and its blue and the other just for the tree grass and its green and the last one is for make a 2nd shadow on the surface .
it was a step to the finel lighting .
thanks again .

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.