PDA

View Full Version : Avid x Discreet

andre_alder
07-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Hi,

I would like to know your opinions about the differents high end editing solutions from Avid (Media Composer/Simphony) and Discreet (Smoke/Fire).

Basically, I would like to know which are the best editing solution, regarding velocity, features, price and support.

Could you help me, please?

Thanx
AD

beaker
07-05-2003, 09:40 PM
I would ask this question on the creative cow forums. There are many more professional video editors that hang out there. Plus many of the developers of those packages you asked about. Also search their forums, Im sure this question has been asked there before.
http://www.creativecow.com/

Punkpotato
07-07-2003, 04:36 AM
You comparing and editor (avid) to a compositor (descreet)

beaker
07-07-2003, 06:06 AM
No he is not. Smoke/Fire are not compositors, they are discreets line of professional editing turnkey systems. You are thinking of Flint, Flame and Inferno. Discreet does not only make compositing products.

KLThomas
07-27-2003, 01:10 AM
I would like to know your opinions about the differents high end editing solutions from Avid (Media Composer/Simphony) and Discreet (Smoke/Fire).

Hi there!
I have some experience here. Where I work we have a Quantel Editbox ( which I run). 2 Discreet Smokes, and we're currently installing an Avid DS/HD. Of the three I like the DS the best. The Smokes have been somewhat buggy. There's been a long history about Discreet and their code base. From what I've heard, many of the original software engineers are no longer there. The guys that have come in to replace them have had a hard time trying to add features and fix bugs. The Discreet demo artist told ne that the paint module hasn't changed in 3 years because the guy who wrote it left and nobody's been able to figure out the code! In trying to learn it, I find the interface very confusing. It has way too many buttons. They could pull out half of them and not loose any functionality.

My favorite little example of my frustration with Smoke is in reversing a field-based video clip. With my Editbox, you select the clip, tap the button telling the machine the clip is field based and it's done. On Smoke you select the clip, track down the sub-menu with the clip tools. select reverse, select fields, and maybe it will be right. If not, there;s another button to bump the clip up or down 1 pixel and try again. Silly stuff.

Avid DS looks very sweet. I will be moving over to it at the end of the year.
It has almost all of the editing tools of an Avid MC, plus almost all of the effects tools of Smoke/Fire. And it's cheaper! About the only thing it lacks compared to the Discreet machine is the ability to import 3D geometry from Maya, Lightwave ect.

Hope this helps.

KT

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.