PDA

View Full Version : Character: Plush(2d)

ASCIISkull
07-05-2003, 05:09 AM
Hi. My friend Doruk Golcu drew this picture, and I colored it. We would both appreciate any crits on either the drawing or the CG. I would particularly like comments about the hair and left foot, which I am not very happy with.

Done using Photoshop 7.

http://www.photocountry.com/users/10708/blue_doruk_good.jpg

The sketch:
http://www.angelfire.com/freak/sanemosquito/plushies.txt

The character is Blue, from the comic strip College Roomies From Hell!!! (www.crfh.net)

Mr_Sleep
07-05-2003, 08:11 PM
the sketch is better then the coloured one. mind if i have a run at digitally painting it?.

ASCIISkull
07-06-2003, 01:44 AM
It shouldn't be a problem, as long as you also post it to the original thread (http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?t=54546) on the CRFH board...

Would you mind telling me what I could have done better? I am trying to improve, and this is a forum for critiques, especially if you are better than I am at it...

Dearmad
07-06-2003, 04:14 AM
The problem with critiquing this is I'm not sure what you *wanted* to go for in your image; ie what is it supposed to be for and/or do. But here's what I see:

Lack of a dynamic shading value range on the figures. Your deepest tones are very close to your middle range tones and it looks flat. This is OK if you want that, but because you have shadows elsewhere, I sense it as something overlooked rather than on purpose.

Shadows too soft and undefined off the figures. And what *is* the purpose of them since the surface is ambiguous?

Look into each character's eyes. Now tell me how many different lights are lighting this scene. On a subconscious level it's very unbalancing.

Strange lens-flare like effect is distracting.

Disjointed color. Balance is not even thematic as far as I can tell.

What is the point of interest? There's no "story" to the image-, or sense of a caught moment. It's just a collection of stuff. What is the path the eyes should take? Mine are static on the image and uninterested- part of this problem lies in the sketch, but if you're going to digitally manipulate it and color it, I think it conceivable you could decide on this and help it out.

The woman's texturing doesn't match or contrast the animals in any meaningful way that I can see. You're not going for photo real, so make a statement!

Per request: Left foot looks blurred and undefined. Too much going on it it.

Hair is highly shiny and out of place compared to the lighting -uh- "scheme" you have going. Think about and be really clear where your source of illumination is and color to that- or make *stronger* choices to defy that ordered approach and go for something crazy- as it is it's in the middle, otherwise known as bland.

Ok, that's enough thrashing. here's some stuff I liked:

The sense of depth on your non-humans is good. They pop out nicely.

The various texture effects you've acheived are pretty good.

It looks like you worked hard on it, and that you're clearly making a sincere effort- that's a lot.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.