PDA

View Full Version : Triggering modifiers on shape instances

Steve Green
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi,

I'm working on an animation where a vacuum cleaner sucks up bits of paper, and I want to crumple the paper as it goes in.

Originally I had a particle system where the particles were static until they were moving, at which point they referenced the same instance (which had animation) but used it as an animated shape.

It looked fine in the viewport, but the renders never seemed to match - sometimes the particle would either not move or just disappear when rendered.

Has anyone done anything similar?

I'm guessing it's impossible to add modifiers to instances once they're inside PFlow, but I wasn't sure if there was anything in Box #3 which might help with this kind of task.

Thanks,

Steve

OlegB
03-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Box#3 beta (next release) has facilities exactly for that. You can wire any data (for example, duration in current event) as a parameter for a modifier, and then use the result reference mesh as a shape for a particle. If particles have different input values (i.e. duration in the event) then they have different shapes.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

Steve Green
03-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Cool, sounds great - any idea why I could be getting discrepancies between the viewport and the render though?

The count is the same, the sampling is the same but it just doesn't want to play ball.

Thanks,

Steve

OlegB
03-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Do you use any script operators?

Thanks,
Oleg B.

jigu
03-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Is it possible to bake those particles shapes with bobo's bake pflow script?

Steve Green
03-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi,

no scripts.

May be possible to bake - I just wanted to keep it unbaked so I could tweak the animation of the characters at any point, but I'll check out the script.

Cheers

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2009, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.