PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman Animated

kretin
07-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Does anyone know anything about the upcoming Spiderman animated series? Like what software is used, who's making it, etc?

Some pics here:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0307/03/index.htm

The modelling and surfacing looks really nice. The deformations aren't too good though, especially noticable in pic 18, the shoulder and arm look a bit nasty to me :p

SplineGod
07-05-2003, 12:10 AM
When I was at Foundation Imaging I worked on a test that Sony has requested for that show. I did the Hobgoblin HERE (http://www.splinegod.com/spiderman.htm) . Due to some politics the show ended up going to Mainframe. The test Foundation did looked very good and I wish I had a copy of the whole thing. :)

kretin
07-05-2003, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I've seen your Hobby test. Man, such a pity it wasn't done by Foundation, or at least in Lightwave :(

I would've thought Mainframe would be able to create decent rigs by now... how many years have they been doing this?

SplineGod
07-05-2003, 12:42 AM
I dont mind losing a show if the reasons are legitimate ones. I just hate losing out because of politics.

thiaml
07-05-2003, 03:25 AM
the stuff splinegod did at foundation imaging looks fabulous in comparison. i'm a big fan of the stuff created by foundation imaging and don't know why sony gave the job to mainframe (maybe because of cost).

grafikdon
07-05-2003, 03:29 AM
That was awesome but I couldn't find anything about the animation process. I guess it is a combination of 3D and 2D and if Brandon Vietti (director) is involved then there has to be a lot of 2D animation going on there 'cause he went to Joe Kubert School of cartoon and graphic art in New Jersey, nice to know he's got up to this level.

SplineGod
07-05-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by thiaml
the stuff splinegod did at foundation imaging looks fabulous in comparison. i'm a big fan of the stuff created by foundation imaging and don't know why sony gave the job to mainframe (maybe because of cost).
Thanks Thiaml :)
Theres a few ppl around the forum here who know more or less why it happened. Foundations test was considered top notch but someone at Sony decided that he didnt like someone at Foundation and thought it was be fun to spite FI by awarding the work to Mainframe even though their test wasnt as good. Its unfortunate but stuff like this happens all the time. Its also part of the reason FI didnt get the last season of Max Steel.

thiaml
07-05-2003, 03:57 AM
hey splinegod,

not sure if you can talk about this, but is that the main reason why foundation imaging folded. i don't understand why, FI were creating excellent work and if the industry is going through difficult times, wouldn't they reduce the staff and just tough it though the difficult times. or ron thornton was such a big factor to the company.

Captain
07-05-2003, 04:06 AM
On The Show, i don't know to much about it, and For me, the style they seme to be persuing for this series is best seen in motion, not through stills, so I can't comment on their quality untill i see them. I just hope that the Show lives up to the comic. Being an obsessed spiderman fan, I always have the best hopes for related projects.

Splinegod, I Love the tests, Really cool, I also really like the flare out the back of the glider.

-Captain

SplineGod
07-05-2003, 04:24 AM
Yea, gotta love lens flares. :)
Its a lot of fun when you have no time to get something done.
The reason why FI folded probably started 2 years or more before. Sony had promised FI they would get Heavy Gear and then ended up pulling it at the last minute and giving it to Mainframe because the canadian govt subsidized them enough so they charged Sony nothing up front. FI ended up laying off quite a few ppl from that. Netter was working on Max Steel (Another Sony gig) and had that pulled and was give to FI.
Before that Flat Earth had Roughnecks which was pulled by Sony and given to FI. Later Dan Dare was pulled from Netter and given to FI. Max Steel allowed FI to bring back a lot of ppl who were laid off with the Heavy Gear fiasco. Dan Dare did the same and even brought most of the ex Netter ppl on board as well.
FI ended up losing the last season of Max Steel to Mainframe and then Dan Dare finished. This was about the time when the whole CGI industry went into the toilet for over a year. In the meantime FI did have a smaller crew that finished up Voyager and was moved over to working on Enterprise. FI had hired a woman who claimed to have all these great contacts in the industry (which she did but everyone hated her) to do sales. She failed miserably but was allowed to continue on. A few tiny jobs came in but slowly the company couldnt find work and the work they had slowly came to an end. It was a slow agonizing death but it happens. It was a great place to work and great people to work with. It was some of the best fun Ive ever had. :)

thiaml
07-05-2003, 04:34 AM
can i ask how many people were working at FI at it's peak. were individual artist assigned to specific task or jobs were spread out. i can imagine it would be a great place to work as it was the place to be for a lw artist.

toonshady
07-05-2003, 05:17 AM
Hey cool, my favorite comic super hero. I think Mainframe did Action Man, Beast Wars. Their software, if I may take a guess, is Softimage. To this day, it still puzzles me how to do spidey's webline? Such as when he shoot it and swing and then finally let go. Any tips from the TD gods in this forum?

SplineGod
07-05-2003, 06:24 AM
At its peak probably around 180 ppl. :)
There were 10 teams of 6 animators,
a mocap team. prop modeling team. set modeling team. character team and some other odds and ends. :)

My Fault
07-05-2003, 06:41 PM
There was a commercial for Spidey on during the first episode of the new Ren and Stimpy show. It looked pretty hideous. Hopefully the show works out but my interest dropped a ton after seeing that commercial. I've loved a lot of Mainframe's work in the past, but lately...ugh!

SplineGod
07-05-2003, 07:35 PM
In all fairness its hard to say sometimes why something looks bad when aired. Sony would reject some stuff and we would redo it. Next thing we see is that they have edited BOTH together and would look horrible. Its like they dont care. Im sure mainframe is dealing with the same issues. You also have the difference between what the clients wants and what is actual good sense. :)

thiaml
07-06-2003, 12:27 AM
i don't work in the entertainment industry but doesn't the art director oversees the process and surely he'll know what looks good and what's not. it would look bad on him if the show he directs looks bad.

SplineGod
07-06-2003, 04:38 AM
I agree in theory thats all true but many times reality is very different and can be frustrating to deal with sometimes. :)

SplineGod
07-06-2003, 06:44 AM
BTW, I saw the trailer tonite for the spiderman series tonite. I think it looks horrible. The TEST we did blows that away. Oh well...

Castius
07-06-2003, 03:14 PM
I haven't seen the trailer. but from the still in that link the deformation look like shit. And thats not good for anyone who wants to get 3d work on tv. We have all these 3d movies working out great to liven up our industry. If this show is going
to be that piss poor then it going to ruin all that. Lets hope it's fixed before seeing the light of day.

SplineGod
07-06-2003, 04:16 PM
Few of the characters just didnt seem to be designed to be used with celshading. They look like characters that have celshading turned on. Characters need to be designed specifically to look good when celshaded.

LiveFlash
07-06-2003, 05:15 PM
Sorry, but those pics look like poo :rolleyes:

I might be a newby to Lightwave and CG, but I do know what looks good and what looks like crap!:thumbsdow

SplineGod's versions look much much better and I agree that many of the objects and people look like they should not be cel shaded, uuhhgh yuk! :D

Emmanuel
07-06-2003, 06:13 PM
The featured look is quite trendy at the moment.
But then, considering LWs power and the power of its professional users, I am pretty sure that Spidey could get a TV show that looks
much more realistic.
I am also sure it could look better than exspected for the budget/time.

swampthing
07-06-2003, 07:03 PM
it doesn't look THAT bad, but spidey himself looks horrid. Way too skinny and gangly looking, definately not depicted in a way that i'd be interested in watching. He looks like an anorexic teenager with a deformed head. No interest in seeing my favorite super hero depicted in that manner i guess.

devin
07-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Never been a fan of Mainframe's work myself (not that they care). When a group like Foundation can deliver the quality that they did and Mainframe repeatedly produces less than quality product with what appears to be more resources, something should be said about that company.

Looks like the good, cheap, fast rule applies yet again.

My Fault
07-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by devin
Never been a fan of Mainframe's work myself (not that they care). When a group like Foundation can deliver the quality that they did and Mainframe repeatedly produces less than quality product with what appears to be more resources, something should be said about that company.

Looks like the good, cheap, fast rule applies yet again.

Up until this Spiderman commercial I've always felt exactly opposite of you. Not that everything I've seen from Foundation I've hated, but Max Steele has to be one of the low points of 3d CG on tv. Though Foundations episodes were infintely superior to Netter's.

SplineGod
07-06-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by My Fault
Up until this Spiderman commercial I've always felt exactly opposite of you. Not that everything I've seen from Foundation I've hated, but Max Steele has to be one of the low points of 3d CG on tv. Though Foundations episodes were infintely superior to Netter's.
LOL, I think there are much better examples of low points in TV CGI then Max Steele. How about Donkey Kong or Butt Ugly Martians? :)

My Fault
07-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
LOL, I think there are much better examples of low points in TV CGI then Max Steele. How about Donkey Kong or Butt Ugly Martians? :)

Well I did say, one of. :p

Shows like Butt Ugly Martians and Voltron I consider so far below the scale as to not be worth mentioning. Hopefully Spiderman ends up better quality then those.

SplineGod
07-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Amazingly enough the final look of those shows are what the client wanted.:)

pherbus
07-07-2003, 06:32 PM
savage frog bid for this show as well. their test looked great! you can DL it here:

http://www.savagefrog.com/page_721_Spider.htm

anieves
07-07-2003, 06:50 PM
The SF test looks nicer IMO. I'll still tune in on friday to check it out and see the final product on the screen... it might look better than those badly compressed jpgs...

Merlin
07-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Ugh, am I the only one who can't stand it when the try and make Spider-Man blink? He's wearing a MASK, he can't blink! I know it's hard to show emotion through just body language... but if you're on national television with a property as huge as Spider-Man you'd better be a damn master of it!

Picky rant over.

neal

toonshady
07-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Spidey blinks in the comic. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

My Fault
07-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Merlin
Ugh, am I the only one who can't stand it when the try and make Spider-Man blink? He's wearing a MASK, he can't blink! I know it's hard to show emotion through just body language... but if you're on national television with a property as huge as Spider-Man you'd better be a damn master of it!

Picky rant over.

neal

So blinking with a mask on sets you off on a rant but you have no trouble with the fact that he can pick up a car, climb up walls and sense danger with his spidey sense? You sir are officially a comic book geek :p

Celshader
07-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Merlin
Ugh, am I the only one who can't stand it when the try and make Spider-Man blink? He's wearing a MASK, he can't blink!

I remember comics artists drawing a blinking Spidey mask in the early 90's, though I'm trying to remember who started it -- Mark Bagley, Erik Larsen, or someone else.

kretin
07-08-2003, 12:39 AM
Actually, he wasn't drawn blinking, but squinting. If they've got him blinking, then it does go against convention. If his eyes are just changing shape then that's not so bad...

Anyone know if a trailer is available on the net?

toonshady
07-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Yes, I remember seeing Eric Larsen did the squinting thingy, but not sure if he's the first:p For sure, he was the last spidey artist before I gave up comics.

Fasty
07-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Emmanuel
The featured look is quite trendy at the moment.

Dammit I don't care how trendy it is, it will never be *good*! Bad celshading is bad celshading! Like Slinegod said, you can't just get a model and slap a celshader on it! YUK!!

I love everything about the Savage Frog version except the look of the characters. The direction and backgrounds are super-cool!

LASooner
07-08-2003, 07:03 PM
The reason why FI folded probably started 2 years or more before. Sony had promised FI they would get Heavy Gear and then ended up pulling it at the last minute and giving it to Mainframe because the canadian govt subsidized them enough so they charged Sony nothing up front.

Not entirely correct, FI offered this same deal to Sony, which would have killed FI eventually had we agreed to it. But the fact is we offered to do each episode and wouldn't get paid until delivery... there in lies the genius of Michael Wahl :rolleyes:

Netter was working on Max Steel (Another Sony gig) and had that pulled and was give to FI.

This was pulled from Netter long before the Heavy Gear fiasco, because we were finishing up the first season the day I was layed off from FI.

Before that Flat Earth had Roughnecks which was pulled by Sony and given to FI.

Flat Earth had some Episodes of Roughnecks, but when things fell through the bulk of FE's remaining episodes went to FI with HyperImage and Rainbow Studios taking one Arc from the FE stack.

Later Dan Dare was pulled from Netter and given to FI.

Dan Dare was awarded to FI because Netter had folded.

Max Steel allowed FI to bring back a lot of ppl who were laid off with the Heavy Gear fiasco.

The second season of Max Steel did, we had already finished the first.

FI had hired a woman who claimed to have all these great contacts in the industry (which she did but everyone hated her) to do sales.

Never put your agent on salary, if they're on commission they'll find you work.

The death of FI probably has more to do with theloss of talent and drive after the Heavy Gear thing. The place became less about making great work and more about jockeying for position on the next show. IMHO

:hmm:

RobertoOrtiz
07-08-2003, 07:19 PM
No wonder more and more I am seeing that animation
companies are trying produce and market their own stuff.

It is quite a sin that a top company like FI would fold becuase of the whims of a suit.

Celshader
07-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by LASooner
The death of FI probably has more to do with theloss of talent and drive after the Heavy Gear thing. The place became less about making great work and more about jockeying for position on the next show. IMHO

:hmm:

I dunno, some of the Voyager stuff done post-Heavy Gear looked fabulous -- especially that virtual set for an alien city (http://studio.adobe.com/explore/gallery/foundationimaging/main.html).

Me, I think of the Titanic when I think of Foundation Imaging. The poor thing could stay afloat with up to four compartments ripped, but not five or more.

Some of the compartments ripped at FI:

A website that was practically down for eight months. Going to FI's website during that time showed you a Flash screensaver and nothing else -- not even the glorious FI effects shots from Voyager. Nothing about FI, nothing to sell you on the company or its services. Contrast that with Digital Domain's website (http://www.digitaldomain.com), or even Mainframe's website (http://www.mainframe.ca).
FI had almost no marketing that I could see when I worked there. I remember the flyers FI created to sell clients on commercial work, but that's about it.
Almost no successful sales that I saw. The sales person brought in some small projects, but nothing big.
A visually stunning demo reel that deserved the beauty of Tangerine Dream but instead used a wailing version of "Amazing Grace" for its soundtrack. :banghead:
The threat of writers/actors striking in 2001. An ill-timed situation that chilled Hollywood production and could not possibly have helped.

LASooner
07-08-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Celshader
I dunno, some of the Voyager stuff done post-Heavy Gear looked fabulous -- especially that virtual set for an alien city (http://studio.adobe.com/explore/gallery/foundationimaging/main.html).

I'm not saying the art produced after that wasn't good or the artists there weren't great, I'm saying the tone of the company had changed. But also the Trek guys were pretty well protected from most of what was going on because they were FI's bread and butter.

krivakhranostaj
07-08-2003, 08:21 PM
whooo,spiderman.......I like him

Fasty
07-10-2003, 04:36 AM
If you click on the Sketch to Screen button there are some really nice celshaded models there. Also some so-so ones.

http://www.mtv.com/onair/spider-man/

Celshader
07-10-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Fasty
If you click on the Sketch to Screen button there are some really nice celshaded models there. Also some so-so ones.

http://www.mtv.com/onair/spider-man/

Cool -- thanks for the link!

I'm not 100% sure about Peter Parker's hair, but the rest of the model looks good! The Peter Parker renders also have good lighting (http://www.mtv.com/onair/spider-man/flipbooks/concept_completion/topflip.jhtml?c=6&pf=/onair/spider-man/flipbooks/concept_completion/). I'm not sure if the model translates the design 100%, but the only real giveaway at first glance is the hair (http://www.mtv.com/onair/spider-man/flipbooks/concept_completion/topflip.jhtml?c=8&pf=/onair/spider-man/flipbooks/concept_completion/) -- I'm not used to seeing hair "drawn" in that way.

It may just be me, but the other models don't look as "alive" as the Peter Parker model. The screengrab of the first episode that showed Mary Jane with broken shoulders, bad lighting and an unconvincing facial expression (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0307/03/s9.htm) turned me off, but maybe that was just a rare accident for the show.

I plan to see it Friday if I can, though -- it'll be interesting to see how it turned out!

Update -- Clicking on the "Spider-Man Series Theme" link shows actual animation from the series. I still think Peter Parker's the best model of the bunch -- I'm not yet convinced by any of the other character models, including the Spider-Man model. That said, it's fun to see a celshaded show with a playful 3D camera and silky-smooth frame rate. I'll definitely be getting my celshader fix this Friday.

:love:

anieves
07-10-2003, 01:37 PM
upon seeing most of those shots in the MTV site I have to say that it looks much better than the crappy compressed jpgs posted in the comics site. I stll going to wait to see it on friday on my TV before reaching a conclusion... who knows it might totally rock with motion on the tv screen, sometimes stills from animations don't make justice to the final piece.

BTW why in the hell is this on MTV???? just to be able to make Peter Parker say hell. MTV has forgotten what their network is all about :shrug:

anieves
07-10-2003, 01:52 PM
man, the lizard looks extremely similar to a sea monster I'm modeling now... yikes! at least the body does, the head is not alike at all tho.

SplineGod
07-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by anieves
upon seeing most of those shots in the MTV site I have to say that it looks much better than the crappy compressed jpgs posted in the comics site. I stll going to wait to see it on friday on my TV before reaching a conclusion... who knows it might totally rock with motion on the tv screen, sometimes stills from animations don't make justice to the final piece.

BTW why in the hell is this on MTV???? just to be able to make Peter Parker say hell. MTV has forgotten what their network is all about :shrug:
When MTV started in the early 80s it just played music videos and not much else. Music Videos were a novelty back then but old hat now. After awhile ppl start getting bored. The SCIFI channel also discovered this and begain producing new or original content to keep/attract viewers. MTV started to do the same thing. :)

anieves
07-10-2003, 05:39 PM
I know that you have to evolve to keep the audience wich in turns keep the advertising dollars but man MTV is getting ridiculously silly and I don't see how this animated show fits in MTV's lineup, I know that Marvel also wants to appeal to a little more mature audience; this reminds me of Spawn in HBO, oh well I hope they didn't screwed 'ol spidey up.

Celshader
07-10-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by anieves

Dunno, but I was watching MTV for its wonderful Liquid Television in the early 90's and gorgeous The Maxx in the mid-90's. I also liked some of the animated station ID shorts, like the paper cutout figure that dodges the scissors. They also once bracketed an animation show in the mid-90's with hilariously mistranslated action sequences from Ninja Scroll, which got me hooked on the work of Yoshiaki Kawajiri.

Heck, after they stopped showing Headbanger's Ball, there wasn't much else on MTV for me to watch but the animation. ;)

lwbob
07-12-2003, 03:21 AM
I always wanted to see a really cheesy cartoon version of Lawnmower Man fighting Spidey.

Did mainframe do this?

Note to self, if you create animation that looks like hand drawn cels, don't mocrap it.

toonshady
07-12-2003, 04:10 AM
yeah, just saw it, dislike everything except spidey when he's fighting. I agree with that mocap celshade crap. Looks like those lame toon shading roto tv commercial that studios seems to do alot these days. So lame.

I sitll wonder how they do the webbing. I could imagine how they do spidey's dynamic motion with a robust IK?FK rig, but webbing still makes my head itch. Is that simulation? Looks more like hand animated.

lwbob
07-12-2003, 04:57 AM
Did you notice that the lawnmower man ripped his costume and cut him EXACTLY like the ninja woman did in the following episode? I can see reusing stuff in the show but not the ONLY damage done to his costume.

Don't badmouth using cel shading just to be cool. I tried that in a thread and everyone but Shade01 didn't get the point. He know what I was talking about. Take a dump, make it look cel shaded and people will love it just because it was cel shaded.

sqitso
07-12-2003, 05:04 AM
I had to vent my oppinion. I was hoping for somthing really cool and different. Instead I was greeted with a really kiddie story and what looked to be rushed animation and visuals. Truth be told, I thought it looked a lot like the Bardot demo reel from Momentum Studios. If you aren't familiar with Bardot I can tell you it was created completely with Animation Master and still looked better than Spider Man.

Oh well, I will still watch it.. just a little disappointed.

Celshader
07-12-2003, 11:14 AM
I just saw Mainframe's Spider-Man and Terminator 3 tonight. I approached both with low expectations, spotted the weak points, got some ideas and came away entertained by both despite their weak points.

I still think Peter Parker is the strongest celshaded character model in the show, but Spider-Man had the best character animation in a few shots.

Of the two celshaded TV shows out there, Molly, Star-Racer looks nicer. Still...I'm reserving final judgment until the end of the series. Note that the later episodes of Roughnecks beat the living hell out of the first episode in that series; Spider-Man may yet enjoy a similar improvement. If the last episode of Spider-Man looks better than the first, I'll be happy. :)

VirtualFM
07-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Update -- Clicking on the "Spider-Man Series Theme" link shows actual animation from the series. [/B]

Are there any other places where I can see Spidey animated?! I will not install Realplayer EVER again, unless I am under the threat of a machine gun.

I instaled it once and it f*cked up my system beyond repair. Then Fred Tepper made some messiah videos on Real PLayer and after some discussion about Real Player ONE and beina assured that 'this was a thing from the past' and that 'realplayer is much more system friendlier now', etc, I instaled it again... And It GRABBED onto my system like if if was an octopuss in heat, making it IMPOSSIBLE to remove.

I will NEVER install such piece of crap again.

My Fault
07-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Of the two celshaded TV shows out there, Molly, Star-Racer looks nicer. Still...I'm reserving final judgment until the end of the series. Note that the later episodes of Roughnecks beat the living hell out of the first episode in that series; Spider-Man may yet enjoy a similar improvement. If the last episode of Spider-Man looks better than the first, I'll be happy. :)

When is Molly, Star-Racer on?

I have to admit I didn't hate Spiderman as much as I thought. I still think the show looked pretty hideous (but I enjoyed Doogie Howser doing the voice). A lot of things that look fine in a still, like shadows on a characters face, looked unbelievably bad when they were animated. And do the animators at Mainframe ever get to animate or are they relegated to mo-crap cleanup? Ugh!

SplineGod
07-12-2003, 06:27 PM
Everyone relies on mocap these days but theres still plenty of shots that have to be done by hand or sweetened by hand.
The problem I have with the show is that it looks like characters that were designed for 3D but someone decided to turn on a celshader to see what it looked like and decided to leave it on.
People are used to a certain "standard" when animation is done as cels. When things are rendered "3D" ala Monsters Inc, Ice Age etc etc it doesnt look disturbing. Disturbing is seeing the crawly shadows over 3D topology...it just doesnt look right. :)

toonshady
07-12-2003, 07:32 PM
the day time is the worst with the celshading imo. everything looks flat and fluffy. No forms. The lizard dude looks cool. Looking forward to that one.

My Fault
07-12-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Disturbing is seeing the crawly shadows over 3D topology...it just doesnt look right. :)

Exactly, kinda makes you shudder!

Celshader
07-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by My Fault
When is Molly, Star-Racer on?

It's in development as a 26-episode series for France, but you can see the trailer here:
http://www.savtheworld.com/html/molly.php3

Peter Parker's the strongest celshaded model of Spider-Man, but the simpler designs on Molly appeal more to me. I also think Molly has a better color palette than Spider-Man.

:shrug:

My Fault
07-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Oh, I've seen the trailer a million times, I thought you were comparing two completed show. While Molly looked great, I don't think it's fair to compare the two quite yet, at least not until Molly is done. My expectations are huge for that show, I hope it looks as great as the trailer did!

I agree, the simpler shapes of Molly look much better and the color palette and character design are really nice.

HowardM
07-19-2003, 04:50 PM
ooooh MAXX...what happened? that was such a cool cartoon!!

I have to agree with most comments, spiderman looks like celshaded reboot....maybe mainframe thinks its part of their style/charm? but we 3D users see through it, and it just looks old.
I think it would of been a better choice to do celshaded backgrounds with hand drawn characters....ones that dont look like celshaded poser models....I think its more a constraint of celshading than model design...they have to look like that, be modelled like that, just to get the 3D/2D to work...it would take too long for an animator to give the push,pull, squash, stretch of every LINE and SHAPE, not just the character....until studios take the time to plan out a shot, how to fake enough to look more handdrawn (meticulously morph and tweak the model for each and ever camera angle)...for now celshading should be left to robots, cars, buildings, etc...

also maybe if it was drawn on 2's or even 3's...30fps celshaded looks strange.

on a good note, it had a nice marvel feel to itl, with the colors, shading, dark shadows, gradients...etc...and some of the camera moves were actually cool.

if you step outside of yourself, being a 3D animator, and just watch it as if it was hand drawn, it actually looks pretty damn cool.

the worst part is hearing the bad voice acting, especially the dude from 90210! :(

My Fault
07-19-2003, 05:07 PM
I don't know, I actually like Doogie Howser as Spidey!

Celshader
07-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by HowardM
also maybe if it was drawn on 2's or even 3's...30fps celshaded looks strange.

True...but if the models and animtations hold up, 30Fps celshaded stuff can look so cool! :love:

Heck, I'd like to see other stuff (http://www.celshader.com/exploit.html) exploited in celshading more often, too...

SplineGod
07-19-2003, 06:58 PM
I agree that it CAN look good but I got a good view of the show last night and most of it just looks disturbing to me.
The characters dont seem to be well designed for celshading. I do like much of the motion. Peter Parkers proportions look wierd.
The sheen on spider mans webs on his costume gets annoying after awhile. It does remind me of reboot celshaded. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.