PDA

View Full Version : Motion path animation problem

Jononomous
03-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Hey all -

So I have an animated walk cycle tied to a mesh, naturally, and I want the walk cycle to repeat along a curve (motion path). The walk cycle is 30 frames long, I set the motion path to 200 frames long. The problem is that the walk cycle only plays once through and doesnt repeat after the first 30 frames. If i set the motion path to 30 frames long, my character speeds abruptly to the other side (in 30 frames of course).

How do I repeat the walk cycle along a motion path?

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Jon

benio33
03-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Hey all -

So I have an animated walk cycle tied to a mesh, naturally, and I want the walk cycle to repeat along a curve (motion path). The walk cycle is 30 frames long, I set the motion path to 200 frames long. The problem is that the walk cycle only plays once through and doesnt repeat after the first 30 frames. If i set the motion path to 30 frames long, my character speeds abruptly to the other side (in 30 frames of course).

How do I repeat the walk cycle along a motion path?

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Jon

Create a walkcycle as looped - make your character walk in place for 200 frames. I suppose you've already done it as this is cruitial i walk cycling. Then animate it's translate controler of your rig (the one shifting and rotating whole character) along the path. You adjust the walk feet sliding with the graph editor - select the path and move the last key of the animation curve up or down to adjust the feet sliding.

kostaz
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM
To have your walkcycle repeat forever, try this:

1. Select the skeleton hierarchy root of your character
2. Type select -h in the MEL command box (this selects all joints in the hierarchy)
3. In the Graph Editor, press A and select all keys
4. Graph Editor menu -> Curves -> Post Infinity -> Cycle

Do not attach the character to the motion path directly.
Create a locator, parent your character under it, and attach the locator to the motion path.
This will give you better overall control.

If your walkcycle is seamless, this should do the job.

To adjust for feet sliding, move the last key of the motion path curve, as benio33 suggested

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2009, 10:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.