PDA

View Full Version : MEL Scripting Project... Help?

RsBddy929
03-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi there! I apologize if I am posting in the wrong spot, but I am new here, and was wondering if there are some users out there that might be willing to help me.

I am currently a visual effects major in college, and I have a MEL scripting project that requires a video demonstration. Does anyone know where I can find some advanced (ish) MEL scripting tutorials? Most of the ones I have found are fairly simple, and don't give me much to work with.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

efecto
03-04-2009, 12:17 AM
I know books on MEL helped me and of course the MEL documentation in Maya.
MEL video tuts from Gnomon is the best video tutorial on MEL in my opinion. Digital Tutor covers fundamentals.. stay away from binarydivinity mel tutorials. I didn't like the content of their tutorial and the tutor spoke/explained really slow.. which makes the tutorials much longer than necessary.

mel scripting for maya animators
mel scripting a character rig in maya
and Art of rigging has some good MEL tuts if you are into rigging and character animation.

DOor
03-04-2009, 04:34 PM
I agree with efecto those books break down scripting well for an artist. if you have any sort of background in scripting/programming picking up MEL will not take too long once you get around the syntax. conditions, loops, variables, etc are all the same between most scripting languages. I think the query, edit, create modes were the only thing that threw me off when I first picked up MEL (I was used to using dotsyntax.)

here is a nice source I have used for common mel questsions and good match expressions:

http://ewertb.soundlinker.com/maya.htm

I also recommend using the Maya MEL command reference and script editor to familiarize yourself with the commands availalbe in MEL.

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2009, 04:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.