PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Kong and Bird

Goro
07-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Hmm strange. I just opened a thread but it's gone.
Maybe I forgot press on submit...
Well I'll try again now.

I'm working on a 3D short with two other students at the German Film School. It's called Kong & Bird. It will be finished at the
end of the month.
This is the set where the story takes place.
We use Maya 4.5
Please give me critics for the setdesign,
lighting, texturing.

http://www.area-56.de/pics/kong_and_bird_set.jpg

http://www.area-56.de/pics/kong_and_bird_set_wireframe.jpg

nemirc
07-05-2003, 12:55 AM
Interesting. It seems you've gone for the "sort-of-cell-shading" type of image.

I am not going to get into details since this is more like a cartoon (so I don't mind the cartoonlike looking trees) but I do believe that the "rope" at the front looks too low-rez to me.
Also, the back sort of lacks definition...

But the overal looks :thumbsup:

SheepFactory
07-05-2003, 01:05 AM
Do you mind reading the rules before posting. Please post according to the guidelines.

Ryan-B
07-05-2003, 02:30 AM
The colour is nice, but my eye is drawn to the left of the screen, away from the gorilla. You need to create some contrast in lighting around the gorilla.

Goro
07-05-2003, 01:15 PM
nemric
thnx. I fixed the rope. The render tessilation was too low.
Now it's smooth.

Sheep Factory
Sorry! honestly I didn't read the rules. I did it now.
I'll edit my entry.

Ryan B
I didn't see that. Thnx for your comment
we'll work on the light.

Marcel
07-05-2003, 05:25 PM
I agree with RyanB (looks can be so pursuasive! You are still the No 1. babe for me Ryan! :) ) you need to make the middle of the image the point of interest.
I would play with lights to make the outside of the image is darker, to give it a more mysterious feel.

See how the leaves near Tarzan are brighter and a different color of green? http://www.schoolcircle.com/images/tarzan.jpg

The lighting is a bit bland now, there is no color in the lights or the shadows.

I would decrease the fressnel shading a bit on the gorilla, it's a bit too much now.

You could put more plants in the background, or make some imageplanes to use as standings for plants, right now it's very empty behind the trees.

Maybe the tree bark could use some from of texturing. It's clear that you are trying to go for a stylized look, but the trees look a bit unfinished to me.

Goro
07-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Thanx for your suggestions! Here is a new rendering
of the set. My teammate Felix Graf made the new version.

The rope is now smooth. The fressnel shading is decreased
and there is more contrast in the scene.
What do you think?

http://www.area-56.de/pics/kong_and_bird_set_02.jpg

Nikodemus
07-06-2003, 12:32 AM
i think the entire scene is too overly lit now.. try thinking of a break in the tree canopy that would play up the part of the scene that the action/focus will be .. (im assuming the gorilla) .. so perhaps have the lighting more like the very first image.. but then in the local area of the gorilla have a target spot (shaped off with a tree leave opening stencil)

also dont forget in the tarzan pic.. notice that the leaves and foliage are not just green but the colors become cooler away from the character and the shadows turn blue.. perhaps mix in a few blue/green plants on the frames edge, the hihlight yellow green plants add nice contrast with you already have.

one last thing.. did you do anything with focus/blur.. cause this last image looks "blurry" the leaves and stuff.. maybe i have been looking at thte screen too long though

is very refreshing style/approach though.. nice job

Dearmad
07-06-2003, 02:21 AM
Some shadow play of the canopy on the surfaces might help anchor them into the environment better. Just a cutout or two in front of the lights.

The background is really distracting now and looks very fake even given the cartoony look to the set.

Overall a nice color scheme, however.

road
07-06-2003, 06:04 AM
a quick PO of your scene...
seems like cooler shadows and a warmer light would be good....
also more contrast...

http://www.roadsart.com/images/kong_and_bird_set.jpg

http://www.roadsart.com/images/POkong_and_bird_set.jpg

Marcel
07-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Great paintover Road!

I've tried something more drastic, with much darker edges and cooler colors on the outside. See if you like it...

http://members.rott.chello.nl/mvijfwinkel/paintover_b.jpg

road
07-06-2003, 06:40 PM
WOW!!!
I like you paintover even better Marcel!!!

Goro
07-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Nikodemus
The blur is the low jpeg quality I think. The idea with the
blue plants is great. thnx!

Marcel and road
thnx for the suggestions. I will focus the light more on the gorilla.

Marcel
07-06-2003, 07:10 PM
Making the paintover in Photoshop is much easier than lighting the scene in the 3d package.
You might want to consider using some sort of 'blue screen' method: animate the characters in an empty scene, and afterwards composite them in a scene that has been touched up and painted over in Photoshop.

You'll have to plan your shots very carefully though, but it will make things easier and you'll save a lot of rendertime (you only have to render out animations for the characters and not the background).
Camera movements would still be possible: if you render out a larger image you can pan and zoom in After Effects.

Aearon
07-06-2003, 11:22 PM
i think it looks fabulous already, great work!

what i don't like is the textures. They look a little blurry, making the whole image seem fuzzy (at least in the larger images you posted) I think they fit the style, and don't get me wrong, they don't need a lot of detail.. but i'd still try to get rid of that blurry look, maybe add some darker spots to the leaves, or let a group of aphids bite away a piece in some selected areas :)

Mangaka604
07-07-2003, 08:35 AM
One comment on the composition of the image. The vine that hangs off the tree looks so unnatural...perhaps it's because it's right down the center of the image. Try making it wrap one or two more times around the branch and let it dangle a bit at the end.

As for the lighting from you dark outer to warm inner image, the problem with the image is that it doesn't appear to have an actual light source. It might also be the angle of light..it seems to be coming from almost straight above. Get some more shadows into play. Maybe try simulating almost a shaft of light coming down thru a break in the canopy? Volumetrics would also add atmosphere.

The set itself...the matte for the bg is far too close to the set. Put geometric trees and foliage there instead.

Hope this helps...

playmesumch00ns
07-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Looking good! I haven't got much to the good advice other people have dropped, just that you should projetc a texture through the light to give the impression of leaves in the trees casting shadows. The scene loses some of the "jungle feel" at the moment because of the lack of a gazebo or "cookie cutter" as they are also called.

Then you can also use this textrue as another element to focus on the gorilla

Marcel
07-07-2003, 03:53 PM
gazebo or "cookie cutter"

I think the correct name is 'gobo' not gazebo.
A Gazebo is a garden house :) (like this: http://www.butterflyworld.com/gazebo.jpg).

A very good tip nonetheless!

Goro
07-07-2003, 06:35 PM
The thing with the projection through the light is a great idea.
I'll try it out! thnx!!

Nelis
07-07-2003, 11:25 PM
i would go with the paintover from marcel.... altough that is a bit too drastic.. the jungle should be fairly bright, i think.

but the concept of looking trough a hole of trees, leaves and other things forces the viewer too actually look trough it. and then all the focus is on the "kong".

maybey the "liaan" (cant get a grib on that word, but i mean the rope like thing that hangs down) is a bit distracting too. let it sway to another branch so that it does not hang that low in the picture.

also add more foliage and greenery to the background. just low ground green. wil add to the jungle feeling.

maybey some of these things are already said, if so i am sorry.....

like the scene very much and it has great potential...

nice work and good luck..

Goro
07-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Hi!

Thnx again!
I like both versions (road and marcel)
So I tried to find the middle of the two versions.
Until now I had no time to edit the rope and create
a projection for the light.
My teammate Felix rendered the first scene. I edited
the scene in afterFX. It's still not final.

what do you think?

scene_01_preview_divx503 (http://www.area-56.de/animations/tests/scene_01_preview.avi)

Don't care about the animation cause I can't change it right now.
I animated it in one day.
There are still a lot of things that can be animated much better
but we have to be very fast now.
Our deadline is the end of the month. and there are still
28 scenes to go. I will optimize the animations if there
is time left.:)

playmesumch00ns
07-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Marcel
gazebo or "cookie cutter"

I think the correct name is 'gobo' not gazebo.
A Gazebo is a garden house :) (like this: http://www.butterflyworld.com/gazebo.jpg).

A very good tip nonetheless!

Haha! That's what it was! I was racking my brains at my desk trying to remember what the bloody thing was called and "gazebo" was the closest I could come up with. doh!::p

rollmops
07-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Nicely done, but: the monkey fingers looks twice too long to me.( sorry if I come too late:shrug: ).
Do you plane to add a deformer to draw foliage aside while the camera crosses plants?
keep on posting!;)

Goro
07-08-2003, 01:12 PM
rollmops:
Yes the hands of Kong are huge:)
I thought about it to draw the foliage aside. It would be
a lot better. But we need the time for animation.
We'll do it if we have time left.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.