PDA

View Full Version : Faceted texture

ASCIISkull
07-04-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm trying to figure out a way to simulate facets in a material. Similar to how it would look if I modelled the individual facets of the surface with polys, without smoothing.

Would I be able to do this with vertex mapping? I'm thinking of maybe editing a vertex map manually, with the facets done in alternating patterns. Would this be the best way, or has anyone done anything like this?

kretin
07-05-2003, 12:18 AM
You could model the facets without smoothing :)

But seriously, what exactly are you trying to create? Does turning off surface smoothing not do what you want?

ASCIISkull
07-05-2003, 04:17 AM
I'm modelling in subpatches, and to actually model every irregular facet would probably kill my computer if it didn't kill me.

kretin
07-05-2003, 05:37 AM
If you're modelling a faceted object, why wouldn't you just leave it in normal polys instead of subPatching it?

Still difficult to know how to help without knowing what it is you're trying to achieve...

Finkster
07-05-2003, 07:08 AM
You could just model with sub patches as you are doing, then freeze the patches to turn them into regular polygons - change patch divisions to suit. With smoothing turned of and a little bit of specularity, you should get a faceted appearance. You could even triple the polygons for a different faceted look.

Steve Warner
07-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Or you could possibly use Subpatch weights to sharpen out your edges. But I agree with Kretin. If you want a truly faceted look, don't use subpatches. Go with the straight poly approach and then adjust your smoothing level (or turn it off altogether).

ASCIISkull
07-10-2003, 12:15 AM
Ok, here's the whole situation:

I'm modelling a character that is partially covered in irregular facets. I did a test, modelling a piece with the facets, but since they had more than 4 points they were both difficult to make follow the surface and(often) nonplanar. Animated, they looked horrible. If I tripled them for planarity, then they no longer looked like individual facets, but as tons of triangular facets. I was wondering if using normal mappign I'd be able to take a smooth surface which would render and deform properly and make the facets have the correct reflections and specular highlights.

This would also be a lot faster to render, since I'd not need as high a level of detail in the mesh itself.

Also, I was wondering if I'd have to build the highres faceted version to make the map out of, or is there a way to edit the information with, say, photoshop?

I know it sounds pretty wierd, but i'm not really sure how to explain better.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.