PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Refueling - I stuck

LogicLost
03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey

It's somthing I was working on for last two days. Rough model of ship was made in 3D to capture perspective as I kinda suck at vechicle designing on paper, and drawing a realy stright line is still an issue for me on tablet :shrug:

But now I fell I stuck, don't know realy where to go now to improve this pice. I would like to finish this one as recently I have problems with that too :D

So here it is:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7379/falcon3.jpg

C&C are most welcom as always

Daniel

DArcy1
03-04-2009, 02:33 AM
re the straight line: click where you want the line to start. Hold down the shift key and click where you want it to end and photoshop will connect the points for you.

D.

slowgolde
03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi Logic Lost,

I think the mood/atmosphere is great- the textured clouds and sky work really nicely. Depending on how long you wanted to spend it would really add some depth to have the impressions of other towers in the mist...but an isolated refuelling station is probably what you wanted, so that change might have broken the concept anyway.

In terms of crits, the main bits that might be throwing it off slightly are mostly to do with perspective. Hope u don't mind but I quickly drew some perps lines on your image. Most of it is fairly consistent with the long platform and spaceship, but I've just pointed out a couple of areas where it seems to break perspective a little. Maybe you could quickly mock up the upper building in 3d to get the persp spot on.

Good luck, look forward to seeing any changes.

http://www.slowgolde.com/imagedump/lines.jpg

LogicLost
03-04-2009, 03:57 PM
@DArcy1
It's so simple? I fell stupid right now :argh:

:D

@slowgolde
I realy appreciate that you take your time and effort to overpaint perspective lines, it's really easier to see my own mistakes shown in that way, thanks :thumbsup:
I'll try to fix persp. on my own first, if nothing comes out I'll move it into 3D :shrug:
I'll consider another tower somewhere in the mist, good point.

Thank for critics and encouraging words

Today I have nightshift at office so I'll have plenty of time to work further on this, expect an update tomorrow morning :)

EDIT:

Ok, I'v repaired those little persp. issues and been struggling for few hours to figure out how should this tower look perspective-wise, overpainting it in many ways. Finaly I added another vanishing point far, far away under the pic and I think it's ok now. How much time I would spare doing it at the beginning, but surly I'v learned somthing :applause:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/279/refuelingcopy.jpg

LogicLost
03-05-2009, 05:22 AM
What do you think guys??

slowgolde
03-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Really cool, nice changes. The only thing that jumps out a little bit is the highlighted edge of the horizontal docking platform- with the strong lightsource coming from the doorways I think it would help to have the closest edge of the 'roadway' a bit darker, as its probably not getting hit by that much light- probably less than the top. Hope that makes sense.

Looking great I think. Oh and maybe some shadows from the doorway arches cascading onto the platform would look cool.

LogicLost
03-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey Slowgolde

Thanks again for c&c. You'r certenly right about the edge of platform. I think not only the close part of it as you mention, but whole edge have no chance to have highlight like this, in this colour as the light source is comming from the doorways and maybe something that is not visible on the further left side of pic. [maybe a little bit of light comming from lanterns on edge]. I'll take care of it later at night becouse last night didn't had so much free time at work as I though I'll have :shrug:

For next update I'll try to develop further the tower and add bits and pices on the platform, maybe some kind of docking device for ships as for now it looks like it [ship] is floating in air.

Next update tomorrow morning ;)

LogicLost
03-06-2009, 04:44 AM
As I promise here's next little update:

I'v worked with the tower, added second level. Clean up that messy reflection on platform edge and added somthing that should look like a docking thingy for ships. Added mountain peaks at the background.

I hope you'll like it.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7379/falcon3.jpg

LogicLost
03-10-2009, 04:16 AM
Here's next update.

I was trying to clean some details to mountain and platform, also textured ship hull. Added details here and there.

Still I'm trying to figure out how to make platform more interesting. It look's kind off empty but more details could draw eye away from ship.

Also I'm thinking of slightly changing the color range [don't know if I named it right]

So your coments and critique would be very helpfull as always.

Cold color range:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/184/refuelingcold.jpg

Warm color range:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6005/refuelingwarm.jpg

What do you think?

slowgolde
03-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi logic,

Looking really great now, I like the changes you've made and some of the details you've added.

I personally prefer the cooler version, as it seems to fit the isolated feeling of the station well.

In terms of details for the platform, I'd just think about what an actual refuelling station would need. Maybe think about current harbours and ports and use that as a guide for what they might have on the platform. They'd probably have specific docking bays, fuel pipes for each bay, computer terminals to check fuel levels. Probably some form of numbering system for the pilots or crew making their way back from the station to their ships- even if it's just a classic worn yellow dock number painted on the floor. With that in mind you could extend some thinner docking arms out either side to balance the strong diagonal a bit. These could even have some smaller ships docking at them...I guess it depends how busy you want it to be.

It might be good to thicken the platform slightly to make it look a bit chunkier and heavy industry, at the moment it looks a bit breakable. A heavy beveled edge might work nicely with some long deep red strip lights to pop a little against the green mood. I'd also maybe give the impression of the platform being built out of heavy sections, like a bridge-so you might see some seams where the parts have been locked and sealed together. If the platform were thicker you could also have some maintenance hatches in the floor, possibly going to fuel or power lines within it. You could even have one open and exposed with engineers welding a pipe- or any little details like that.

These are just some ideas that popped into my head when I looked at it, I'm not saying you need to do any of it! I think it looks great as it is. One change I would probably make is breaking the two distant pillars up so they don't look the same height... also the shape of the left one mimics the shape of the spaceship fin, which is maybe something you want, but it looks slightly like a cast shadow from the fin at this point. Maybe just break up the symmetry a tiny bit?

Look forward to seeing it finished, hope the above ramblings make sense!

cheers,

LogicLost
03-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Hey slowgolde

Thanks again for your attention, that is really great pool of ideas you delivered.

PS. I really like what you'r doing with that mad guy in bar, but I don't feel experienced enugh to criticise :)

I was working with composition based on suggestions that CyborGfx send me on PM. I had to rest from it for few days to have a fresh look when I'll start to work on it further. I'll have some free time this week so expect some updates soon :)

LogicLost
03-21-2009, 05:12 PM
ok heres another update, composition slightly changed as CyborGfx sugested

I'll sill be working on platform as I think rest of pic is almost done

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7714/refuelingy.jpg

GZ
03-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Hi, Nice painting. I think it would become much more better if you change colors a bit. you have painted all the space of your painting with yellow. Why don't you try to add the second or third color. This will give your painting depth, perspective and variation. For example paint the rock and the foreground in a dark reddish orange. Also using green is another option.
Try to examine different color mixture. I'm sure you will enjoy the result.

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2009, 07:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.