PDA

View Full Version : expression help

Hellbring
07-04-2003, 10:41 PM
I was wondering if there was away to do this with 1 expression instead of editing the expression for each bone that it is applied to.

I am trying to do what kretin did with hes fish's tail. I have 2 bone chains for the tail of my creature. One for the "wiggle" and another for positioning purposes. I also have a Null that will control the wiggle, so to get this all to work I need to...

1) take Tail_Null.Rotation.H
2) to this add the rotation of Tail1.Rotation.H (bone1 in the positioning chain)
3) apply this to Tail_Wiggle1.Rotation.H (bone1 in the chain that will do the tail wag)

So all i should have to do is make an expression in all the Tail_Wiggle#.Rotation.H channels. However that means I would have to edit each expression to change what Tail# bone it is going to use.

kretin
07-05-2003, 12:17 AM
You could do it using Lscript, but not expressions. But seriously, it takes 5 minutes to copy, paste and edit the expression to all the bones, it's so quick...

Hellbring
07-05-2003, 12:29 AM
ya i thought about it some more after I posted that and it was pretty quick and whole thing works well. ill post the rig though I cant post the character due to NDA :\

Hellbring
07-05-2003, 06:03 AM
Here is My rig so far. I have to play with the toes still and fix their rotations, the rest of it should work. I used Kretin's tail setup and tudor's foot setup.

kretin
07-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Looks good. Try delaying the expression the further down the tail chain the bones go, like this:
Tail_Ctrl.rot(Time).h + [Character.Tail1.Rotation.H]
Tail_Ctrl.rot(Time - 0.1).h + [Character.Tail2.Rotation.H]
Tail_Ctrl.rot(Time - 0.2).h + [Character.Tail3.Rotation.H]
etc...

You'll get a much nicer tail motion that way...

Hellbring
07-07-2003, 03:11 AM
seems like when it delays the bones that it follows the bones that are used for poseing better. So unless I bend the tail the tail rotates straight. I bet this is much for usefull cause you can make the wag change however u want. Thanks for the info.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.