PDA

View Full Version : Create your own FBX motion files

aforetaste
03-03-2009, 02:02 PM
I have mocap data provided to me in C3D format.
I understand the process of attaching an actor to the mocap marker sets... but at what point can you save the mocap data (without a character attached) as a simple movement file?

What I'm looking for is something similar to the sample movements that come with MotionBuilder. A FBX file that you can quickly drop onto any characterized character and have it's movement applied (without another skeleton or character entering the scene).

That make sense?

Neill
03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
I understand the process of attaching an actor to the mocap marker sets... but at what point can you save the mocap data (without a character attached) as a simple movement file?

What I'm looking for is something similar to the sample movements that come with MotionBuilder. A FBX file that you can quickly drop onto any characterized character and have it's movement applied (without another skeleton or character entering the scene).

That make sense?

Hi,

the point that you can save the mocap data is when you convert marker animation (from the C3D file) to some kind of skeletal animation by any pipeline (actor, direct skeleton attachment, etc. )

aforetaste
03-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks, Neill

Does that mean that once the actor is animated, you can select the actor and "save selected" then uncheck the actor (in the save options) and just keep the motion?

Neill
03-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks, Neill

Does that mean that once the actor is animated, you can select the actor and "save selected" then uncheck the actor (in the save options) and just keep the motion?

Actor is already a skeletal animation, which you can retarget to any character.

Headless
03-10-2009, 02:22 AM
To my knowledge the actor shouldn't be thought of as a rig, but as a tool to help translate motion data onto another character.

Once you're happy with how the actor is moving, I'd add a characterized character to the scene (any one will do, even the default surfer guy), and set it to be driven by the actor input, then plot to the control rig and skeleton and then save that out. You should then be able to apply that motion to any other character by simply dragging that file into the Story window.

Try it and let me know if that's what you wanted.

icester
03-15-2009, 02:00 AM

That make sense?

You also need the information about the original actors that acted in those MOCAP sessions.
Without it, it will be a very difficult job to conform data to some skeleton and save it as bone motion file.

Mathew

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2009, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.