PDA

View Full Version : Filling up a jar with spice

Zeko
03-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Hello all,

i want to fill up a jar with spice like oregano or similar spice. What would be the best way to do it?

Thank you
Z

Piflik
03-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Reactor...:D

The only Particle System in Max that has inter particle collisions is the pArray and that doesn't work well with Deflector geometry. If you turn on inter particle collisions, the particles are likely to fall through the jar.

Or you can wait for Box#2. It will have particle collisions.

joconnell
03-03-2009, 12:54 PM
If they're the size of actual particles of spice you're going to be waiting a long long time - if it's for an animation where you have to show everything piling up you're better off using a piece of animated geometry for the actual pile itself and then a particle system for the stream of pouring spice. Trying to use dynamics on particles that small to fill a volume is going to be extremely slow and inflexible to change. Also, the further back from the jar you are the more it's going to look like a solid mass anyway.

noouch
03-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Particle Flow has a Keep Apart operator that may or may not do what you want. You're probably best off faking it by pouring in particles, and just animating a growing block of geometry to suggest settled bits of spice in the jar, but the effect wouldn't hold up if you looked too closely.

Zeko
03-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Thank You all for help. I tried it with reactor but quicly stopped because it was overkill and i guess it will be the same with PFlow so i guess i'll make it less detailed and without close-ups.

Thank You again for all the help guys
Z

irwit
03-06-2009, 01:43 PM
If they're the size of actual particles of spice you're going to be waiting a long long time - if it's for an animation where you have to show everything piling up you're better off using a piece of animated geometry for the actual pile itself and then a particle system for the stream of pouring spice. Trying to use dynamics on particles that small to fill a volume is going to be extremely slow and inflexible to change. Also, the further back from the jar you are the more it's going to look like a solid mass anyway.

That's how I would do it.

3DMadness
03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Maybe you can try glacierise's approach on snow pilling up to fill up your jar with spices:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=206&t=469297

coren
03-07-2009, 12:37 PM
when you did the reactor test witch solver was active?
try to use the 'havok 3' solver instead of the 'havok 1'(the default)
The 'havok 3' solver only works with rigid body and this is your case.

cheers

P.s. sorry for my english!!

Zeko
03-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Great tips, I will try it :)

Thank You for help

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2009, 03:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.