PDA

View Full Version : Can "cache" event be used to cache millions of particles for network rendering?

jussing
03-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Hey all...

I'm rendering millions of particles on a renderfarm, and my big problem is the sheer run-up calculation of the particle simulation for any one frame is 20-30 minutes, before the rendering even begins.

So far I've only used the cache operator for viewport acceleration on a few thousand particles, but could it be used for render acceleration, too, on astronomous amounts of particles?

Thanks,
- Jonas

jussing
03-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Come to think of it, this wouldn't even solve my problem.

What I need is for one machine to cache all the millions of particles, and store it in a file, so all the render nodes can access it.

- Jonas

grury
03-03-2009, 10:11 AM
You can use Krakatoa to save the particles and then use PRT Loader. Then you wouldnt need PFlow to be active at all.

JohnnyRandom
03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Agreed, Krakatoe PRT is a great solution for storing massive amounts of particles, you can also use the box# 3 disk cache, which does a fine job too, really your only option if you are caching shapes :)

The regular pf cache does fine but you are limited to the amount of physical memory installed on your machine, although if all you are storing is the particle itself (ie no geometry/shape operators, ect.) you can store quite a few particles with substantially less physical memory.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.