PDA

View Full Version : exporting hair as a obj/3ds file

munclesmubb
03-03-2009, 08:28 AM
hi all

i have only been using blender for a short time. so i am a bit of a newbie.

what i want to know is how i export the hair i have created from blender as a obj/3ds file.

i have followed the tutorials and have made my hair but when i export and then try to use the hair in 3dxchange all that i see is the head that i made with no hair.

i am currantly making a mini series using iclone. what i want is to make my own hair to use with the male and female charactors. they are gothics so i need to be able to make good hair. i have looked around but nothing seams to be good enough.

so is there a way to create hair as a obj/3ds file so i can use it in 3dxchange.

thanks

fktt
03-03-2009, 10:53 PM
hmmh, if its particle hair, then I'm sorry to say, as far as I know,
there is no way to export the particles to .3ds or any similar format. :sad:

Ran13
03-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Like fktt said, particles aren't geometry.
Particle systems are app specific and generally do not export to geometry formats like 3ds, obj, etc. This is true of particle systems in general, not just Blender.

That said, you do have options.
You could render your characters in Blender with hair and composite them into your iclone scene if your careful to match the lighting setup and iclone supports such.... I assume iclone can recognize an alpha channel, but I have no exp. w/ iclone whatsoever.

Or, you could ditch iclone and use Blender for the whole thing. I think you'll find Blender a much more powerful and versatile 3D solution than iclone (again, this is a gross assumption based on zero experience w/ iclone)... esp. with the built-in node-based compositing. Any asset you need iclone for, you could render in iclone (again... match the lighting) and import into Blender for compositing.

anyway.. good luck.

kilon
03-04-2009, 03:08 PM
You could go around this problem and bake your hair to a texture , make a base low poly for the hair and use the baked texture. If you hair is static then it should not be a problem.

If you want to animate the hair as well then you should check whether iclone supports video textures with transparency , if it does then it might be possible to do it that way.

Another way is render layers, for example you can render your hair in a separate layer , import your animation (video file) from iclone and combine it in blender. It is not easy but it is doable.

By the way , iclone seems like a nice app.

munclesmubb
03-04-2009, 07:26 PM
thanks guys this is all good stuff.

i did think about dumping iclone and using blender but i know my way around iclone and i feel that i would have a long road a head to try and learn blender.

thanks for the suggestions. i will look into them.

kilon you are right iclone is a great app once you get into it.

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2009, 07:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.