PDA

View Full Version : closing a model!

carlsden
03-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi guys..

is there a quick way to find out where a model is open.. when i say open i mean not closed in the sense that there might me a polygon missing or a vertex that isn't merged or weilded... is there a quick way to find out this?

AdrianLazar
03-02-2009, 11:28 AM
but in what way?

mattmos
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
In the viewport under the eye tab make sure polymesh boundries and hard edges are set to visible - that will show any edges/holes in the mesh in blue - I assume this is what you're after?

JDex
03-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Select the object, set the selection filter to Boundary Edges and then Ctrl+A. If any edges are selected, then the mesh is non-manifold.

ThE_JacO
03-03-2009, 12:24 AM
for future reference: a model with no boundary edges is called "watertight" :)

JDex
03-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Haha... hadn't heard it referred to as that. A manifold mesh is the term I have seen referred to most frequently... but that may simply from my Wings3D modelling roots.

ThE_JacO
03-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Haha... hadn't heard it referred to as that. A manifold mesh is the term I have seen referred to most frequently... but that may simply from my Wings3D modelling roots.
Manifold and watertight are not synonimous.
Watertight is what the name suggests, it means that if the hull was to hypothetically be submerged its contents wouldn't change.
Manifold relates to neighborhood and continuity, and can be of different types.

For a meshed geometry to be manifold not all points need to be connected (hence you can have a hole), for something to be watertight not all points need to have an euclidan homeomorphic neighborhood.
A mesh can be non watertight and still be manifold, or be watertight and still be non manifold.

Saturn
03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
in others word a watertight mesh will not sink in the bucket filled with water :p

ThE_JacO
03-03-2009, 10:33 AM
in others word a watertight mesh will not sink in the bucket filled with water :p
An empty egg with the hole side up put in water isn't watertight, but won't sink :p
Content uneffected remains the definition I'm afraid... unless you have a clip map applied to the hull, that alwasy makes it messy.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2009, 10:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.