PDA

View Full Version : Bump distance falloff?

stevecullum
03-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm new to the render tree and a little confused!

Can anyone tell me how I create a distance to camera based falloff for bump maps?

Thanks for any help!

nixx
03-02-2009, 04:10 AM
Get a Scalar_state node and set it to "Ray Length". Feed that into a Change_range node, and set the "Old Range" start and end values to your desired minimum (usually zero) and maximum distances from the camera, your "New Range" start and end to the maximum and minimum (normally zero) desired bump, and that's the basis of it.

Now, to clamp the bump so it doesn't go negative on you at distances further than your max distance, use a Scalar_Math_Logic with an "Is value Less than 0" statement and feed that into a Scalar_Boolean_Switch node, set to "0" if the Scalar_Math_Logic returns true, and the original value if the Scalar_Math_Logic returns false.

Now feed the Scalar_Boolean_Switch output into your Bumpmap scale input.

Hope I didn't confuse you, it's really clearer when you do it in the render tree than it is when you try to describe it :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2009, 04:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.