PDA

View Full Version : Yet another free rig from me

Tudor
07-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Another free rig and object.

I use this character just to have fun animating and try stuff out on.

This is what I want in a rig. No more, no less. The only part messing up a bit is the IK on arms flipping a bit at times.

Look in the scene editor. There are instructions.
Also added morphtargets, but you have to add morph mixer yourself.

http://www.dalnet.se/~tudor/download/t-dude.zip

Tudor
07-04-2003, 12:11 PM
And a small picture of him.

T4D
07-04-2003, 01:01 PM
i like the rig it moves well :)
so i'm not hacking you, just these are afew things i like to add

nice big item shapes for the hips, IK hands, IK feet, shoulders and knees/upper legs then you can have prospective as you main work window and have a top, side and front view in the side windows and there's no need for the schematic view.

also sometimes i add an extra hip controler before the main one with the hand ik targets parented with dynaparent it's just good to have sometimes

just my 2 cents and again cool stuff :)

wish i saw more of this when i was working on Rigging in LW :)

koroko
07-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Much thanks tudor, really apreciated for us not so comfortable with rigging...

Very nice the pivot point to controll heel rotation, thats real nice, very similar to character studio...

Thanks again...

________
angel

Tudor
07-04-2003, 01:44 PM
T4d: Never tried dynaparent before.. Works like a charm. Finally the ability to lock down arm whn he's grabbing something :D

pixelranger
07-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Just wanted to say a big Thanks!! You've contributed sooo much to the community lately. Nice to see such proffesional artists from Scandinavia :)

Mechis
07-04-2003, 03:57 PM
dang Tudor. I've been wanting to model a character like this for a looooong time. Now it looks like I won't have to! Yet another fantastic contribution :)

webfox
07-04-2003, 05:04 PM
If you do dynamic parenting, consider parenting the hands to the chest, not the hips.

It's much more likely that the hips will swivel without the hands following, but if the chest moves, the hands are very likely to follow.

Just my observation... :shrug:

kretin
07-05-2003, 12:43 AM
The 2 things I would most like to add to this are:

A null to move the body with a nice big itemshape, instead of having to select a bone, and

parent a null to the chest bone, then the hand goals to that null, so the hand goals have the correct movement. It totally annoys me that the hand goals Y motion is forwards instead of up.

Ok, more than 2 things... also match goal orientation for the hand bones, which will work if you parent them to a null rather than the bone.

Just things I'd find easier when animating this rig...

toonshady
07-05-2003, 06:24 AM
did a little animation with this guy.

http://www.geocities.com/larcenil1/newdudeYOW.avi

Geta-Ve
07-05-2003, 09:39 AM
would it be possible to get this guy in lw7.0 format?

Tudor
07-08-2003, 12:24 PM
I use the body to move the entire character.. ehh.. the object mesh. The reason being that I like to attach other stuff with 'use bones from object', and that doesn't respect if you have a null at the top of the hierachy. Only movement from the base mesh and down is calculated (big bug perhaps?)

Hehe.. and the hands. Well I agree. Never thought about correcting it that way though. cool :)

Match goal orientatin I will not use for hands.. I have tried it but the risk of running into gimbal lock is too big. This also prevents you from having offsetted keys for secondary motion on the hands. The downside with my way of doing it though is that it will not stay exact when grabbing on to something.

Originally posted by kretin
The 2 things I would most like to add to this are:

A null to move the body with a nice big itemshape, instead of having to select a bone, and

parent a null to the chest bone, then the hand goals to that null, so the hand goals have the correct movement. It totally annoys me that the hand goals Y motion is forwards instead of up.

Ok, more than 2 things... also match goal orientation for the hand bones, which will work if you parent them to a null rather than the bone.

Just things I'd find easier when animating this rig...

Tudor
07-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Oh.. and I don't have access to internet for a while now.. Just moved to a new flat and they screwed up the tranfer of the broadband.. At an internet café now...

so. toonshady.. I'll check the animation as soon as I get my internet running again :)

feefunk
07-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Great stuff Henrik... some minour tweaks can be made to accomodate different animating styles, but it's really cool that you keep putting out these clean models out there for people to use.

A big thumbs up! :thumbsup:

:beer:

PixelDroid
08-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by toonshady
did a little animation with this guy.

http://www.geocities.com/larcenil1/newdudeYOW.avi

ToonShady, this link isn't working anymore.

Henrik: Thanks a lot! I've learned a lot from the DangerGirl rig, it'll be interesting to see what you've added to this one.

BTW, as I've been studying the DangerGirl Rig, I've been keeping a spreadsheet to keep track of the structure. If anyone wants to download it, there is a link to iton this page. (http://www.thepixelfarm.com/LWStuff/) You'll need excel to open it.
I'm updating it fairly frequently these days as I finish figuring out how the rig works. If someone doesn't have Excel, and you really want to see it, send me an email and I'll export it into html.

Thanks again.

Mitch Rosefelt

toonshady
08-19-2003, 06:21 PM
sorry geocties is just crappy like that. try copy and paste link to a new window

Facial Deluxe
08-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Tudor da killer man :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.