PDA

View Full Version : How can I speed up layout for audio?

Shade01
07-04-2003, 11:32 AM
I've got one character in a scene and nothing else. I import audio into layout and it's so slow and choppy I can't accurately keyframe anything to it. Remove everything from the scene and it's fine. Anything I can do to speed things up so I can accurately scrub the timeline and use audio?

Freebooter
07-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi Shade,

Well, you could re-sample the audio down to animate to. That's always worked for me.

N

Shade01
07-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I did try that and it didn't help. I hate that Lightwave is so poor in this area. I will probably have to do this outside of LW, which sucks because it makes fine tuning harder than it should be.

Freebooter
07-04-2003, 11:54 AM
Man, that's annoying.

If it's just lip-synch you're going for, you could try turning IK off and/or knocking the sub-ds way down, but I suspect you've tried these.

Good luck with it anyway.

N

Tudor
07-04-2003, 12:13 PM
I keep a separate character with all chopped off except for the head for stuff like this.. Just replace the object with the fiull body when done.

ThreeDBFX
07-04-2003, 07:40 PM
I'm having a similar problem as we speak. I'm trying to animate an entire scene to a music track. What I've done just to get working is; I loaded the audio track into Final Cut Pro(what we use here at work) and I marked where specific beats were frame wise. I went thru the entire piece which is 30 seconds long and mapped out where the frames I need are. Then back in LW I was able to animate to those frames I had written down. In LW it won't play back, but if I render and lay in the audio in Final Cut or After Effects...all is fine.

Oh, as far as the audio in LW is concerned. I resampled my audio down to 8bit mono...sounds like crap, but the important sounds are there...

Not sure if this will help you at all, but I feel your pain.

SplineGod
07-05-2003, 01:18 AM
Heres some hints about speeding things up:
HERE (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46886)
and
HERE (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69762)

kretin
07-05-2003, 01:26 AM
What kind of machines are you guys running? I've never had any problems with audio in LW. Scrubbing works nicely, previews are perfect timing. I often do lipsync or movement to audio with upwards of 10 characters in a scene without having to resort to using stand-in low-res characters...

I always resample to 22k mono, which is best value in my opinion, keeping enough quality while being alot smaller...

ThreeDBFX
07-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by kretin
What kind of machines are you guys running? I've never had any problems with audio in LW. Scrubbing works nicely, previews are perfect timing. I often do lipsync or movement to audio with upwards of 10 characters in a scene without having to resort to using stand-in low-res characters...

I always resample to 22k mono, which is best value in my opinion, keeping enough quality while being alot smaller...

Wow! Then maybe I'm doing something really wrong. I think I'm running a decent system. Dual 2.4 gig Xeon, 1 gig RAMBUS RAM....etc....

My scene is huge...I have something like 350,000 polys so figured that was causing the poor audio play back. Maybe I didn't resmaple low enough...hmmm. I'll have to play some more.

SplineGod
07-05-2003, 06:34 PM
If your scene has a lot of polys then I would break it down into manageable chuncks. Animate the characters in their own scene with only standins for much of the other stuff. Pull the characters into the full scene later to fine tune their movements.

kretin
07-06-2003, 12:07 AM
Hehe, that poops all over my system, so you should be alright :p

Regardless of poly count, previews should always be correct (although they're not always 100% on time, but should be 99% at least)

Have you looked at your preview settings? perhaps try playing with some of those to see if you can fix the problem?

I doubt very much that it's the audio causing it, I mean if you sampled it down to 8bit mono and it's still happening, then it's prolly not that. It could be the format of the audio though, are you using PCM or a codec? I'm pretty sure PCM is the fastest to decode...

Shade01
07-06-2003, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the help, I tried those things but none of it made an overly huge difference. I'm happy nonetheless because I found something that did make a big difference which I think many people probably don't know about, since noone mentioned it. In the options panel at the bottom, there is a button called play at exact rate. I think it defaults to off, but when I turned it on, it made a huge difference in speed. It isn't flawless, but it's definitely manageable now. :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.