PDA

View Full Version : opacityPP with SW

stallion151
07-04-2003, 08:46 AM
i have a scene with a group of looping cloud particles, and when i render them i get certain clouds that flick off when dead. I am not sure how to eliminate this. I recently found out that OpacityPP has nothing to do with Software Rendered particles so that wasted about 2 and a bit hours of my time.

i have a solid fractal mapped to my particleCloud texture. so i don't know where to gradually fade the particles.

thanks

stallion151

Razvan
07-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Actually you can use opacityPP with s/w particles but you need a ParticleSamplerInfo node. Read about it in the docs ...
About fading the particles ... try a ramp on the opacityPP ...

stallion151
07-04-2003, 10:05 AM
where abouts in the docs are they?

yeh i tried that for some time using the ramp on the OpacPP, but no luck. Is there something i'm missing.

alexx
07-04-2003, 10:22 AM
to get your per particle color/opycity information to a software shader you need a particleSamplerInfo node in the shader..

just create one and from there drag to color and transparency in the volume cloud shader..
that will take the per particle attributes and use them in software rendering

cheers

alexx

stallion151
07-04-2003, 10:56 AM
cool will try that in the morning

cheers.

Razvan
07-04-2003, 11:12 AM
alexx gave you the exact answer, like always :) , but I still recommend looking it up in the docs, you will learn more this way.

stallion151
07-05-2003, 09:05 AM
yeh i looked in the docs and saw the process on how to connect it but... i am not sure what to connect it to.
I have OpacityPP in the left connection and my solid fractal in the other.
Or do i need to have that ramp connected to the sampler???

Jozvex
07-06-2003, 12:56 AM
So you're trying to apply a 3D Solid Fractal to cloud particle's opacity?

I'm not sure if you can apply 3D textures to particles directly. Couldn't you apply the texture to the opacity of the cloud shader?

stallion151
07-07-2003, 06:41 AM
yeh buffy, thats what i have. In my particle cloud i have put a solid fractal on the transparency and thats it.

question what i can't work out is the connection i have to make.
I connect the opacityPP of the particles to some other connection of the particleSampler...that i do not know.

Help.

P.S. Are you really Buffy.... :rolleyes: ;)

stallion151
07-08-2003, 08:20 AM
please...i don't want to be annoying but i neeed someone to help me here.

i cant get it to work, alexx could you send me a scene or something to show what im doing wrong.

thanks

stallion151

alexx
07-08-2003, 08:43 AM
if you already have mapped the transparency of the particles with a texture, you will have to do additional connections..

check that image:

http://bigott.gmxhome.de/pics/particlesDensity.jpg

the particles have an opacityPP

the solid fractal is connected to the transparency and the outTransparency of the particleSamplerInfo reveresed and connected to the density..

you could also use the particle opacityPP as a color offset for the fractal and then clamp the resulting values to 0-1 but the way above is way better to handle i would say..

cheers

alexx

stallion151
07-09-2003, 12:19 AM
thank you so much, now i must screw my brain on and start understanding how to make these sort of connections. Obviously a must!

thanks alexx

stallion151

Jozvex
07-09-2003, 01:20 AM
Ohh the density, good idea. :thumbsup:

I was trying to figure out a way to have a texture and an expression effecting the transparency at the same time.

And yes Mar.....er, stallion151, I am really Buffy! Incredible eh? I'm a beautiful talented actress AND a Maya instructor!

I'm just the perfect package.

stallion151
07-09-2003, 07:28 AM
thanks alexx just tried it and it worked a dream. Does is it matter if its connected to Density X or Y or Z?

What are you doing Joz don't reveal my true identity. :cool: :blush: for the good of the good.

edit: ....i know buffy!!!! WOW

Kaiser_Sose
07-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Jozvex
beautiful talented actress

:hmm: :lightbulb

alexx
07-09-2003, 10:23 AM

I was trying to figure out a way to have a texture and an expression effecting the transparency at the same time.

no problem either: you can use any nodes in maya like e.g. plusMinusAverage to add the expression per particle colors and texture colors together..

would have been the other way i mentioned..

cheers

alexx

Kaiser_Sose
07-09-2003, 10:53 AM
alexx, you know maya dynamics well ... by any chance do you have any tutorials you have written

wouldnt mind seeing how you do stuff along with some tips and tricks

alexx
07-09-2003, 11:36 AM
unfortunately i always was way to lazy to write tutorials :)

the times i used dynamics excessively are long time ago (about 2 years..)

here some of the old stuff for a pilot of a sci-fi series that never made it to life.. :

istanced and skelleton bound particles (http://bigott.gmxhome.de/movies/ds035.avi )

some fun "dematerialize" (http://bigott.gmxhome.de/movies/dissolve.avi )

cheers

alexx

Kaiser_Sose
07-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by alexx

some fun "dematerialize" (http://bigott.gmxhome.de/movies/dissolve.avi )

cheers

alexx

cool, wouldnt mind learning how you did this :) :)

alexx
07-09-2003, 10:39 PM
that was the easier one - and indeed not really much magic behind it - .. maybe if i find some time in the next weeks..
if i can still remember how i did all of it ;)

cheers

alexx

Kaiser_Sose
07-09-2003, 11:32 PM
cool, hope you get around to it

looks similar to the one at gnomon

Jozvex
07-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose
:hmm: :lightbulb

You're not disagreeing are you???? I think she's........I mean, I'm......I'm err........ok, I admit that I'm not Buffy. Yes I know, I got all your hopes up and them BAM. Sorry.

But still, she's the coolest!

stallion151
07-10-2003, 02:07 AM
those were awesome, i really like that dissolve.

What was that skeleton bound one? how did you do that?

Kaiser_Sose
07-10-2003, 03:43 AM
You're not disagreeing are you????

yup

alexx
07-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Kaiser_Sose
looks similar to the one at gnomon

huh.. should check gnomon more often.. :)
but i was faster i guess, since that one is about 2 years old ;)

concerning the tut: remind me in a week or so

stallion151

those were awesome, i really like that dissolve.

What was that skeleton bound one? how did you do that?

thanx.. in the dissolve one no skelleton was used.. that was in the oter one.. the particles were bound to one, to enable me to deform and animate the behaviour of the object (which looked in the end like an octopus)..

cheers

alexx

stallion151
07-11-2003, 12:30 AM
that is pretty clever i must say, didn't know you could do that.
Can't wait till you post some tips about that!

The tutorial gnomon is a dissolve but not like that. Theirs is more like a sandy dissolve, fine particles of the object...compared to a cloud of material like the one alexx made.

Aneks
07-28-2003, 06:26 AM
hmmm....

very nice looking disolve. did you use a series of goals and curve flows to get the disappating motion or what ??

I would be very keen to see how you did the other effect too !!

----------------------
Aneks
maya/shake/flame

alexx
07-28-2003, 08:01 AM
the dissolve basically used 1 particle system to build the body of the actor (emitted flat from a plane).

to make it possible to have the particles react to 6 different fields i rendered 6 different passes with them (hardware). in each pass i only displayed 1/6th of the original particle system but ensured, that each particle is only displayed in exactely one pass.

then for the twirly movement i had the particles react to an animated tubulence field (keyframed) and the attractror fields were some newtons which had additional drag fields to break the forces..

the final snaky movement was done by the flame artist (a bit too much for my meaning).

cheers

alexx

stallion151
07-30-2003, 04:55 AM
so alexx how did you bind those particles to the skeleton, still very curious to know how.

alexx
07-30-2003, 09:57 AM
you just need my small (and very old) script from highend3d:
http://www.highend3d.com/files/dl.3d?group=melscripts&file_loc=particleDeformationPoly-v1.0-.mel&file_id=908

called particleDeformationPoly

that one will create a poly object from the existing particle system, that can be used as a goal for the particles.
the trick about it is, that the poly has the vertices with the same numbering and position as the particles in the system.
then you can deform the poly with any deformers and the particles will follow..

cheers

alexx

edit: why the hell those links to highend never work??.. the mel file is in the danamics section of course

stallion151
07-31-2003, 12:25 AM
can't seem to get it to work, keeps giving me an error:

// Error: Cannot find procedure "particleDeformationPoly". //

its is my scripts folder and i've tried 'whatIs' command, first time it said it found it but in a totally different directory.

// Result: Script found in:...//

then second time it said

// Result: Presumed Mel procedure; no definition seen yet. //

is this happening because its old or maya can't find my directory for this script.

alexx
07-31-2003, 08:25 AM
it is just a script and has no procedure definition..

just select your particles and then copy paste the script in the script editor and run it..

cheers

alexx

webster
07-31-2003, 08:44 AM
Hey, have you had a presentation at the Maya User Meeting in Munich two Years ago ?

I remember the second link, 3000 Particles or something, also Your DeformPoly-Script.

The world is so small !!

Waiting on a Tutorial, Dynamics, Mel and Fluids are the Power of Maya.

alexx
07-31-2003, 08:57 AM
hehe.. yes the world is small.. that was me ;)

(it was 300.000 particles)

cheers

alexx

webster
07-31-2003, 12:26 PM
Ohh yes, I remember very well.

You have been the guy, which was completly drunk and danced naked on the table !!!:wavey:

Or what is me ???? :rolleyes:

-----------------------

What a great presentation !!!:applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.