PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Pythagoria

Plays_4_Pants
07-04-2003, 06:52 AM
:wavey:
Hi all, this is my first post. I'm a senior-to-be at the horrendously out-of-reach school of BGSU. I owe all of my abilities to my work ethic and great sites like this one :buttrock:
This was made with maya 4.5 and mental ray and is meant to be a big experiment with colors and lighting. All textures are made from scratch. The only thing i regret is not being able to use paint effects to really push the objects away from the ground. Good and useful critiques are of course welcome. Be as harsh as you want.

http://www.angelfire.com/vamp/plays4pants/Pythagoria.jpg

chot
07-04-2003, 07:54 AM
nice work :thumbsup:

my only critic is that _everything_ seems out of focus, you should try to make some of it in focus

Agent D
07-04-2003, 09:57 AM
I like the focus and lighting, it gives everything a dream-like feeling. Of course, if you're going for photorealism you don't necessarily want that, but this looks good.

I especially like the curly shapes on the roof on the right. :thumbsup:

killer1.0
07-04-2003, 12:39 PM
nice ;)

Plays_4_Pants
07-05-2003, 04:52 AM
I was trying for some kind of mix between photorealism and dreaminess/surrealism. I never really see the point in photorealism...imitation is not creation.

Hookflash
07-05-2003, 05:02 AM
I really like this. It's nice to see something non-photorealistic *and* non-cartoony. I've said it before and I'll say it again: "If I want photorealism, I'll take a picture";).

Plays_4_Pants
07-13-2003, 06:39 PM
Hoping to get a few more responses before i call it quits on this pic

leigh
07-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Plays_4_Pants
I never really see the point in photorealism...imitation is not creation.

Photorealism is extremely important for the VFX industry. And since many 3D artists on this forum work in VFX, or want to work in VFX, then it is absolutely essential to be able to produce work that is photorealistic.

Don't knock it just because you aren't into it ;)

This is an interesting image, in terms of it's actual colours and mood, but I am wondering what the point of it is? There seems to be no focal point to it, and I'm not entirely sure what it is that I am looking at. Is it supposed to be abstract?

I like the architectural constructions, but I think that a lot of their impact is lost due to the overall softness of the image.

Originally posted by Hookflash
"If I want photorealism, I'll take a picture".

I'm sure that if Weta could have taken photos of Gollum and uruk-hai armies, or if ILM could have taken photos of dinosaurs, spaceships, the Hulk and clone armies, then they would rather have done that instead of spending years making them on computers ;)

KendoJedi
07-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Those rocks are so money.

Hookflash
07-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
I'm sure that if Weta could have taken photos of Gollum and uruk-hai armies, or if ILM could have taken photos of dinosaurs, spaceships, the Hulk and clone armies, then they would rather have done that instead of spending years making them on computers ;)

Yeah, I was just thinking of that after I posted. I suppose photorealism is necessary when you are making a live-action movie. However, Final Fantasy (for example) was... er... a waste of time, imho;).

Plays_4_Pants
07-14-2003, 08:55 PM
Thanx for the input. By "imitation is not creation" i mean modelling things like kitchens and key chains and cars that exist...I'm certainly not talking about things that don't exist in this world like monsters, dinosaurs or environments that can't be taken from a picture.
I guess it's all about your definition of art. I personally believe taking a picture or having something in your hand and modelling it isn't an art but a craft cause their is an obvious right and wrong to it. As an example, there are people that build houses like they did in the 50's and then there are true architects. By no means am I a "true architect" but at least i'm aiming at this goal.
Oh, and the "point" to the picture was that it was going towards a group animation that never happened. But then again, that doesn't really answer your question. I guess I'll just say that a picture of a monster/human with a cool sword really doesn't have much of a point either.
The blurriness was meant to be a stylistic choice, but i might have over done it...and the quality of the pic when i compressed it made it much worse. Focus is something i have to keep in my mind from now on.:cool:

leigh
07-14-2003, 10:14 PM
it isn't an art but a craft

That's a really fascinating statement :) I've never really thought of it like that before, and now that I do, I think I can actually totally agree with you there. That's a really interesting way of looking at things.

Oh, and the "point" to the picture was that it was going towards a group animation that never happened.

Cool, so it's just an unusual environment then (I guess the name of the thread should have been a hint, hehe). Well, in that case I think you did a great job - with characters and whatnot moving around here, this would make a great scene. It's a pity the project fell through...

Any chance of a story behind the image? Like why it is ruined and all that? I'd be interested to know why you made it the way you did :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.