PDA

View Full Version : What is the preferred compositing software?

milqman
07-04-2003, 02:34 AM
I'm considering purchasing compositing software to complement Lightwave, can some of you tell me some software that I can compare?

AfterEffects is all I can think of.

oh, and Combustion.

robinson
07-04-2003, 02:42 AM
Please donít tell me you didnít get the newtek dfx+ deal !:shame:
You are asking for a good comp tool just a few hours after this deal ends, are you serious ?

I personally like DF the most, but I think the best price performance you will get with combustion ?
You really didnít get the dfx+ deal ? :shame:

Tell us what you wanna do with your comp tool, maybe a small (cheap) afterfx is enough.
You really didnít get the dfx+ deal ? :shame:

Needles
07-04-2003, 03:47 AM
DF Rocks!!!:buttrock: Hurry up and get the dfx...

milqman
07-04-2003, 04:08 AM
hahah! No, I did not get the DFX deal, as I could not possibly afford it. Low income and 15 w/o a drivers license.

The only software I am able to afford is that which I can get through websites like www.creationengine.com and www.journeyed.com or any other educational priced software retailers.

robinson
07-04-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by milqman
hahah! No, I did not get the DFX deal, as I could not possibly afford it. Low income and 15 w/o a drivers license.

The only software I am able to afford is that which I can get through websites like www.creationengine.com and www.journeyed.com or any other educational priced software retailers.

ah OK, :lightbulb

I would get the educational combustion version then, but you should download and learn DF too, you know there is a demo.

Combustion is great, just to damn slow...

robinson
07-04-2003, 04:17 AM
:lightbulb Oh, I forgot !!! :lightbulb

IF YOU BUY THE LIGHTWAVE UPDATE WITH DFX+ FOR $ 495, YOU UPDATE YOUR EDUCATIONAL LIGHTWAVE VERSION TOO A FULL COMMERCIAL VERSION.

Just in case you own a educational Lightwave versionÖ :shrug:

Needles
07-04-2003, 04:19 AM
Well, as Robinson said it depends on the kind of work you're going to do. Is it really high-end?. I mean most of time I only use DF for color corrections (what a waste):blush:

milqman
07-04-2003, 04:22 AM
pretty low-end stuff.
i'm a major beginner, i don't even know much about Lightwave (comparatively speaking... my skills don't hold a candle to all you pros)

Needles
07-04-2003, 05:05 AM
So if you haven't used any comp. software and you can't afford DFX... don't know... maybe it would be the right choice to get that combustion educational version...:shrug:

T4D
07-04-2003, 07:34 AM
I've been using After effects for about 12 months
just got DFX+ it's lot better then AE

and they the 2 cheapest composers out there aren't they ??

maybe Combustion
but it's not as a connected to LW as it is to MAX

just my 2 cents

Tocy
07-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Ive been using combustion for a year now. IMHO (strictly IMHO so pls don't flame:) its hierarchy is far not so logical, as DFs, and lacks a lot of effects. It is slow, especially with particles, the best modul of it. Its GUI similar to Discreet's high-end solutions, but this is not so great advantage, I think. When I had luck to do some moves with AE, trying in production, I had all the effects missing from combi, and speed. In case you dont work with max, I think choose DF(X), or AE for desktop compositing.
Bye

KillMe
07-04-2003, 12:33 PM
i jsut got the dfx deal and so far i'm finding dfx to be really nice

i prefer it to combustion - the workflow seems to make more sence and everything is easily accessable

that said i only had a go of the combustion demo and didn't work at it very hard or for very long - my main complain against it was stability though - so far dfx not pulled a wobbly on me yet.

KillMe
07-04-2003, 12:41 PM
you mgiht also look at the education dfx come will all the modules except 5 which is network rendering or something

Nemoid
07-04-2003, 04:32 PM
I heard DFX+is better, but AE is a good tool in good hands.
there are also great books abour AE

Badllarma
07-04-2003, 04:55 PM
Really looking forward to getting DFX so cannot comment on that at present:D But With regards to AE and Combustion both of which I used Combustion wins hands down, (in my opion) but this could turn into LW vs Max , LW vs Maya etc etc......

All are used by pro houses it's really upto the indervidual.

For the ones who have already commented what have you found better between Combustion and DFX?

Joril
07-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Digital Fusion

I'm not an expert though. But I know my way around.

Steve Warner
07-04-2003, 08:04 PM
I've never used DF, but have watched it with a close eye since it first hit the market. It appears that DF is the compositor of choice for LW, however, and NewTek may be positioning themselves to compete with Discreet in this manner.

I've been using After Effects for the past 6 years, and have to say that it's a true performer. I've cut countless commercials for clients around the country on it, and the last major video I did was put together entirely in LW & AE due to the heavy effects work it required. AE is the de facto standard for entry-level compositing. It's got a massive user base, which means there is plenty of support to be found, and there are a ton of plugins available which can really make your work shine.

Having not used DF, I can't say whether or not it's better than AE. But I can say that either will likely meet your immediate and future needs.

Cheers!

Steve

Cman
07-04-2003, 09:09 PM
I've been using AE for long time too, and it's rock steady and very good.
A few things are not-as-easy to do in AE as other comps, but you can usually do it in AE. I also like Combustion - never really used DF.

One selling point for Combustion and DF is that they support AE plugins. That should tell you something. :)

Mwai Kasamale
07-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Give shake a try. I think bar none its the most power and underestimated Comp package out there. Very procedural and makes you understand what exactly you are doing. Give it a shot I think you'll be amazed at how powerful it is regardless of what 3D app you are using.

EvilE
07-04-2003, 09:27 PM
I would say as long as you dont own an ultra high end machine stay away from combustion because the performance is crappy and it eats more memory then you can give to it ( if only 5D would still be in buisness :drool: ).

EE

mrcz
07-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Give shake a try. I think bar none its the most power and underestimated Comp package out there.

One can expect the most power for the most money $ 9k (4.5 for macs), heh.

Martin

T4D
07-05-2003, 12:28 PM
not meaning to hack Discreet But :twisted:

I used to use Max now i uses LW
and the ram that max used was insane compaired with lightwave note MAX 3 used to load all plugins into ram even if you didn't uses them for the file at hand :surprised combustion sounds the same ??

i have 1 gig at the moment and i never seem to need it untill i got DFX and that's understandable due to what DFX is
also the DFX manual say's over 1gig isn't really worth it due to Windows mem mangerment problem ( nice one M$ !! )
but hearing the combustion noise it must be a Discreet thing with RAM usesage.

also i haven't had a crash in DFX+ yet and i've been going hard for aweek now :thumbsup:

and Aftereffect is better in some ways to DFX and DFX is better in other, all and all they seem pretty even, specially since about 70% of mine AE plugins work in DFX =)

quatermain
07-05-2003, 10:56 PM
IF YOU BUY THE LIGHTWAVE UPDATE WITH DFX+ FOR $495, YOU UPDATE YOUR EDUCATIONAL LIGHTWAVE VERSION TO A FULL COMMERCIAL VERSION.
Thanks for the info.
BUT why wasn't this stated more emphatically !?
I would have taken advantage of the DF+ update deal if I had known! Going to call customer rep. on monday to see if i can squeeze in if this edu upgrade deal is true...

robinson
07-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by quatermain
Thanks for the info.
BUT why wasn't this stated more emphatically !?
I would have taken advantage of the DF+ update deal if I had known! Going to call customer rep. on monday to see if i can squeeze in if this edu upgrade deal is true...

sorry, it was mentioned before...

quote chuck baker

We also offer what was for many years the only educational version that allowed a student to upgrade to a commercial license without having to just outright buy the commercial product at full price, and no doubt still have the least expensive terms for conversion - just buy an upgrade at commercial upgrade price when an upgrade comes around.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18393&highlight=educational

quatermain
07-06-2003, 12:16 AM
maybe i'm under the wrong impression

this thread made me think that if i had purchased the expired DFX+ LW8 upgrade, I'd get the upgrade, DFX+, and my 7.5 edu would suddenly become a full version license ? Is this what you meant, robinson?

I know about the upgrade from edu to full license, but i've never assumed that it would include an upgrade too. still, i'll call the reps monday to find out.

robinson
07-06-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by quatermain
this thread made me think that if i had purchased the expired DFX+ LW8 upgrade, I'd get the upgrade, DFX+, and my 7.5 edu would suddenly become a full version license ? Is this what you meant, robinson?

If you buy LW right now itís automatically version 8, you canít buy Lightwave 7.5 anymore !
I donít know how Newtek handles the 7.5 license when you buy the update to 8, maybe your version 7.5 will still be an educational version, and you will get a full license when version 8 comes out. :shrug:
I guess you should call Newtek about that.

Btw, to get back on the compositing topic, there are a few DFX+ copies on ebay (Germany, GB, USA), looks like you would still get a cheap DFX+ copy, nobody is interestedÖ.:hmm:

Mattoo
07-06-2003, 01:05 AM
I still find it strange that everyone has forgotten this great program.
I bought it a few years back when in version 3 and just loved it. It's like Photoshop with a timeline. Much more intuitive than AE, I found (which is what I used to use).
It's got all the paint tools and what have you at a much cheaper price than all the other apps.

Granted, I'm no power user when it comes to compositing but I love the ease of use Commotion gives me. I bought the DFX LW8 upgrade and installed it and was instantly scared stiff looking at the interface.
On top of that, buying the Painting module for DFX would cost as much as another seat of Commotion, which already has that built in - and more (including 16bit Cineon support). :hmm:

robinson
07-06-2003, 01:52 AM
The LW + DFX+ Link is still activeÖ

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/lightwave+dfx.html

maybe not to late for the deal ? :shrug:

Krix
07-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi,

Could you catch DFX+ deal...?

If not, and you don't need such a highend stuff like Digital Fusion, or Shake, and you are also a beginner, you can try out mostly all the basic compositing technics in Aura. It has got unlimited layers, it`s fast, and it`s also a video-painting prog. too where you can paint out little renderbugs frame by frame, if you want. The only thing what you have to keep in mind, that Aura doesn`t handle deepth buffer...so you can`t apply post DOF and things like that.

I think Aura is a good starting point.

Krix

Limbus
07-06-2003, 11:24 PM
There was a link to a free compositing tools floating around somewhere in this forum. Try the search function.

Florian

T4D
07-07-2003, 12:39 AM
it's not after effects or DFX+ but it still pretty cool for free
used by such companies as

Rhythm & Hues
Sony Pictures Imageworks
DreamWorks
ILM

http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/

Limbus
07-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by T4D
it's not after effects or DFX+ but it still pretty cool for free

http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/

CinePaint is more a painting tools for movies and is mostly used for rig removal and such. There was another free tool, which was more aimed at compositing. I see if I can dig it up.

Florian

Limbus
07-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Very interesting what a search on SourceForge (http://www.sourceforge.net) brings up:

Free Compositing for the people:
jahshaka (http://www.jahshaka.com/)

There are alot of other projects but most are in the very early concep or alpha stages.

Florian

EsHrA
07-07-2003, 11:27 PM
aaah, now u tell me !

so, i didnt need that dfx+ deal at all :rolleyes:

kiddin :wip:

Cheers,

-EsH-

ps. thanx for the link ofcoz!

Limbus
07-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by EsHrA
aaah, now u tell me !

o, i didnt need that dfx+ deal at all :rolleyes:

kiddin

Maybe :shrug:
I never tried the free package. Instead I am sitting here waiting for my DFX+ package :beer:

Florian

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.