PDA

View Full Version : Boy with a Ball animation

Demensia
02-27-2009, 04:47 PM
using the Andy Rig i've tried to make an animation using soccer moves, basketball dribbles and ball balance not spin. however the timing is still off and i'de like some critiques on wether or not its realistic enough or not, for future reference i'de like to use this in my animation reel and I would appreciate any tips. I dont care if you're brutally Blunt just lemme know if theres something you would change on it.

http://www.vimeo.com/3395826 <-Link

robcat2075
02-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I dont care if you're brutally Blunt just lemme know if theres something you would change on it. Ok, you asked... :twisted:

The first thing I notice is that the character isn't showing weight in the way he moves.

A character who lifts a foot can really only do two things...

- shift his weight over the other foot beforehand so his center of gravity is supported

or

- start falling in the direction of the lifted foot since the center of gravity is not evenly supported

Also the ball is not behaving with with weight. It sometimes even slows down while it is falling. Impossible!

This business of bobbling a soccer ball around is quite an advanced topic for character animation, so you're quite brave to try. Some preparatory work in good old bouncing ball and then human figure body mechanics would serve you well.

Demensia
02-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Ok, you asked... :twisted:

The first thing I notice is that the character isn't showing weight in the way he moves.

A character who lifts a foot can really only do two things...

- shift his weight over the other foot beforehand so his center of gravity is supported

or

- start falling in the direction of the lifted foot since the center of gravity is not evenly supported

Also the ball is not behaving with with weight. It sometimes even slows down while it is falling. Impossible!

This business of bobbling a soccer ball around is quite an advanced topic for character animation, so you're quite brave to try. Some preparatory work in good old bouncing ball and then human figure body mechanics would serve you well.

thanks, i'll try adding more weight to it during the few steps he takes. out of the 3 11 sec animation types I have set up, the ball is the hardest in my opinion and thus I felt I should take care of that one first. the tips are well appreciated.

Demensia
03-02-2009, 06:43 PM
here you go, new slightly edited version, fixed some of the steps in the beginning and added a few touch ups on the waist. also I removed some of the facial goofs..

http://www.vimeo.com/3439650 <--- link to movie

torresmedia
03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Looking better... The ball is still "floating" a bit, but much better then the last one. Nice work! :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2009, 09:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.