PDA

View Full Version : material that is unaffected by lighting?

pandacub710
02-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I couldn't figure this out =(

I'm using 3ds max, and I'm trying to create a material that is not affected by lighting. It's basically just an bitmap image material (for a computer screen material), but I would like it to remain the same color regardless of the lights in the scene. So when it renders, the material should have the same brightness and color as the original bitmap I used, regardless if there are dim or bright lights in the scene.

Thanks for any help!

ThreeOhEight
02-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Set the self illumination to 100 in the material editor.

leigh
02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
What you're looking for is something usually called a constant shader. I am sure Max will have one, although they may call it something different. Alternatively, you could try using incandescence in your shader.

stage-gr
02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
try boosting the self-illumination up to 100%.
that could work

scrimski
02-27-2009, 11:28 AM
try boosting the self-illumination up to 100%.
that could work
It does.
You may also exclude the object from ilolumination by either chnageing the lights options or the object properties.

What renderere are you using? mr should have some shader like that.
http://www.maxplugins.de/mentalray.php

stage-gr
02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
yeah i wasn't certain. i figured he might be bothered by the flat-looking outcome of a 100% self-illuminated object.
I noticed after that he needs it for a computer monitor :)

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2009, 11:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.