PDA

View Full Version : Blend shapes on face, with a jaw joint?

Levitateme
07-03-2003, 09:50 PM
before i learned how to skin characters, i would like duplicate my character and do all the opening of the mouth and stuff manually. now i have my jaw jointopen the mouth.

i duplicated my character and did a blend shape of his cheaks pulling in. this way when his mouth opens i could put the blend shape up so it looks more realistic. but when i opend his jaw and then put the blend shape on. it closed his mouthand just did exactly the blend shape even though my jaw joint was down.

so my question is for blend shapes is there a way to get around this. so like you r blend shape only moves whatyou moved on your blend shape? sorry i cant be more specific, buti just hope someone knows what i mean. i just dont know blend shapes at all, so i just cant get specific with them. thanks.

Atwooki
07-03-2003, 11:42 PM
Use set-driven key!

1. Create a controller and add a custom att. ('openMouth' for instance) with min 0, max. 10 and default 0.

2. Then go to SDK, and load the controller as your driver, and your blendShape node as the driven.

3. Connect the 'openMouth' att. (controller) to the relevent blendShape in the list (probably selecting 'rotate Z'), making sure that both the values are 'zero' for the blendshape ( and the 'openMouth' att.) in the channel box/blendshape node and key them.

4. Next make the controllers 'open' value 10, and the blendshape nodes value 1 and key them.

Now the controller's 'openMouth att. will open and close the jaw, and generate the chosen blendshape...

Atwooki

Levitateme
07-04-2003, 12:27 AM
yah, i planned on doig that, but i cant.

when i rotate my joint for my jaw so its open then i use the blend shape, it closes my mouth because in my blend shape the mouth is closed. i just pushed in the verts on the cheak. that way i figue when i open the mouth with my jaw joint i can use the blend shape to suck the cheaks in. anyone know how to do this? i hope duplicating my model with the jaw joint open, then duplicating the mesh for a blend shape isnt the only answer. thanks i hope someone can help on this.

Atwooki
07-04-2003, 12:55 AM
If you have a head with just the mouth open, put the values of this and the 'sucked-in cheeks' head up to '1', and then make a duplicate of the base head.

Then unlock the atts. of the duplicate in the channel box, and go to edit blendShapes ----> 'add', (selecting the appropriate blend shape node)
The new blendshape can then be used for the jaw rotation

Atwooki

Levitateme
07-04-2003, 01:42 AM
sorryt atwooki, i appreciate your help. but i dont think im going to be able to explain it unless i post these pics. can you maybe take a look at em and see what im trying to do?

these are my settings for my blend shape

envelope 1
origin local
TSoptions. check topology

i then select my blend shape mesh, then my object i wantto recive the blend shape. then i apply blend shape. i described what is happening, and what i want to happen i hope smoeone can help me out on this thanks.

http://home.bresnan.net/~planetofsound/BS.gif

http://home.bresnan.net/~planetofsound/BS2.gif

Atwooki
07-04-2003, 03:15 AM
Did you create the blendshape with 'front of chain' set to on in the advanced tab?

If not, then right click on your base mesh and go to 'inputs: complete list' , then move the blendshape node downwards, probably to just above the 'tweak' node....

Hope this helps

PS Bit tired now (London!) will try for you tomorrow - or e-mail the file to me and I'll try a quick fix ;)

Atwooki

Pony
12-15-2003, 06:09 AM
you might want to change the deformation order.. sounds like your blend shap is overriding the deformations the jaw did.. just a thought..

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.