PDA

View Full Version : autosave for different filename?

wannabeArtist
02-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi!

Is there a way to set up XSI to save your work like every 15 mins, but for a different file name, so you don't keep overwriting the same file?

I vaguely remember something like that from 3ds max.. it added numbers to the filename, I think?

That would be a great "version control" for a noob like me :D

luceric
02-26-2009, 08:59 PM
XSI's autosave does not overwrite your scene file.

http://www.xsi-blog.com/archives/60

wannabeArtist
02-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the link!

This is not what I meant however. I was looking for a feature that would save the scene with a different name _each_ time as to have a "version control" :)

I checked out that article and made a little test. It seems to create a file called AutoSave1 in the system folder, but that file gets overwritten every time the timer triggers autosave.

Well, I guess it would be easy to write a little program to do that and just run it whenever I use XSI :)

Hirazi
02-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Not sure, but maybe "IncrementalSave V2.5 And AutoSave V2.5 (http://community.softimage.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=111) " could help... ;)

wannabeArtist
02-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah, that sounds like it.

As a more general question, how safe is it to install these plugins? I mean can I mess up my XSI to actually require re-install or is it designed to well enough so plug-ins can't really mess up anything?

Hirazi
02-27-2009, 05:50 PM
My personal experience is, installing plugins generally doesn't mess up the system. Some of the older ones just do not work anymore and might need to be uninstalled again.
You should be able to trust the downloads on SOFTIMAGE|NET and this specific plugin was upload by "Chinny" himself, one of the better known Softimage-employees... :)

luceric
02-27-2009, 09:51 PM
that autosave plug-in was written by Chinny, product manager at Softimage

wannabeArtist
06-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Hey,

Sorry to bring up this old thread again, but now with softimage community site gone, where can I find the autosave plugin? I installed XSI to new hardware just a week ago and I would like to use that plugin.

I tried to search the Area, but either it's not there of I somehow missed it...

Hirazi
06-10-2009, 09:10 AM
An earlier version of the "incremental save"-plugin is still available at XSIBase (http://www.xsibase.com/tools/plugins.php?detail=1357) and from the accompanying notes I gather it also has some "autosave"-functionality...

wannabeArtist
06-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Ah, thanks, that will come handy.

Ohmanoggin
06-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Since you are new to Softimage, you might also be interested in Softimage's backup feature. When you save a scene, the file is copied first to a backup directory in your project directories. By default you get 4 backups.

This is handy because sometimes you screw something up and save before you notice the error. So you have 4 shots (or more if you change default) at getting your scene back the way it was even though you saved.

This has saved my butt many times.

Ohmanoggin

wannabeArtist
06-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks, didn't know about that.

I better install that incremental autosave right away. We just had a blackout in the eletrical system (thunderstorms). That wiped out about half an hour of work - fortunately no more than that!

Hirazi
06-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Just wanted to inform you the file you were originally looking for (incrementalsave_v2_5_and_autosave_v2_5),
has "mysteriously" reappeared in the Autodesk Area download-section:

As direct linking to the download page seems to be impossible (as the Area asks for your login and then redirects you here :banghead: ) you'll have to go here (http://area.autodesk.com/downloads/plugins?tf=3&where=1&software=14). At the moment it resides on page 3 of that list...

Jettatore
06-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks Hirazi.

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2009, 08:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.