PDA

View Full Version : Ninja acrobatic / fighting animation and shooting / reloading / going prone animation

Nickray3d
02-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Havent posted in a LONG time on here but this is currently what i'm working on. This is a ninja animation, looks kinda slow on youtube, but maybe its my internet. Critique the hell outta it :)

UPDATED---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-eg5Q9RmmU&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx7ESF8v6zc&feature=channel_page

This is another one i'm working on. I have a guy reloading a clip then shooting and then reloading, kneeling and going prone w/ his gun. Going to have him shoot it a little more w/ particles / shells coming out of the gun. Let me know what you think about it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQE8NsD48t8&feature=channel

I plan on using these in a video game reel i'm working on. I'd REALLY love to hear from artists in the industry already but as always, everyones opinion counts so i cant wait to hear from you all

-Nick

Tad Ghostal
02-26-2009, 07:46 PM
MyNinja
When he bounces back and forth between the two walls he moves really fast up with the wasll. Try adding more anticipation for each jump and have him push off more. The same with the same when he leaps over the guy, seems fast and adding more puch off from his back would be pretty cool. Add a little more 'oomph' to your punch and the kick that pushes the guy over the edge, it just kinda seems like a little nudge. Looking good, a lot of it's just anticipation issues. Cool fight scenes aren't just throwing punches, but the little moments leading up to them.

NicksShootingWIP
This is looking pretty solid so far. Coming from the knee seems to move a too fast, the same with going to prone. Try adding some more settle in to the prone position. Get up and act these out, but be forwarned, I just came off a 360 game where I had to act out a lot of this type of stuff, going to prone is hard on the elbows.

Also, you can add some firing to the beginning of the anim so you can add little acting beat where he reacts to running out of ammo before he reloads.

Cheers, post updates.

Nickray3d
02-28-2009, 04:02 AM
First off, thank you much for commenting on my animation. I checked out ur page and almost attended fullsail as well but chose a diff school in S. Florida.

I plan on putting the anticipation into both of the pieces, specially the ninja and actually took vids of myself today going into a prone position w/ my paintball gun :)

Will post updates soon... anyone else have any comments, their always welcome!

KielFiggins
02-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey man, fun anims. Good to see more action oriented clips.

Some feedback:

Ninja:
-Definatly a long clip. It may be daunting to really clean up and polish 17 seconds of animation. I'd suggest breaking it up and really giving your attention to a few the motions. Some benefits of that would be: lock off cameras to allow focus on the animation, using different characters doing the action to show variety, easier to not clean up a section and still have the other elements stand on their own. Just a thought.
-You seem to be missing a lot of extentions. Especial the flip into the pole spin. He never extends his body enough. So the viewer gets the feeling of him always being hunched.
-I would cut your camera moves in half. You have a very 3d feeling camera with is disorienting. Most of this shot could be down with a side pan with a slight angle. you dont need move the camera so much to sell the work.
-wall spring is much to fast
-the fight seems forced and the ending is anticlimatic. Remember in a fight that the other person doesnt know whats happening, yours is too synced so it looks like a dance not an interaction.
-The ending doenst have any "WOW!" moment, the energy feel fades off with the guy falling off. I would either work a more dynamic camera angle for that section or re think the idea to end on a bang.

Shooting:
-I would definatly add in muzzle flash and shell casings. These extra details really sell a motion like this.
-some of the transitions are missing overlap and feel to pop instead of flow.
-Going prone is going to be tough, but don't crop the shot the moment he drops, give it time to settle and show the interaction with the ground
-also, you could add an ammo belt on him, have that be soem secondary motion and give the viewer a bit more heads up on hwere he pulls the clip from.

Overall, looking good.

jurffy
03-04-2009, 08:15 AM
When he performs his flip-jump, he can't just jump in normal position and suddenly flip. Have him dive forward INTO the flip.

Nickray3d
03-08-2009, 05:27 AM
ok, heres an update....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVfIoJkAvwc&feature=channel_page

i've taken just about everyones comments into heavy consideration and after watching this versus my old piece, i'm happy w/ it as of right now. Let me know if theres anything i can fix and i plan to move back onto fixing the ninjas after this. Trying to find the time

thanks again

torresmedia
03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
That looks great, man! :D Very cool fire effect ;) Keep it up!

KielFiggins
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Liking the additions, though I would suggest updating your original post with the updated link.

Keep it up.

Nickray3d
03-15-2009, 02:52 AM
thanks again for the comments, i went ahead and posted an update for the ninja animation. Froze some poses, adjusted some timing, took a few things out (including the fight scene) I plan to have a better staged fight animation for my reel later on but i want this one to just show acrobatics and timing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-eg5Q9RmmU&feature=channel

Once again, hope you enjoy and critique the hell outta it

-nick

brazz
03-24-2009, 01:47 AM
wanted to see your progress, but youtube says all the videos were taken out.

Nickray3d
03-28-2009, 12:36 PM
sorry bout that, still kinda a noob w/ posting stuff on this site...

heres the ninja
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84dmeMGZers&feature=channel_page

and heres the shooting animation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVfIoJkAvwc&feature=channel

let me know what i can do to make them better and as always, thanks for checking them out

acamporota
03-29-2009, 11:44 AM
hi nice stuff
about the reload animation:
when he stand up the first time..the body is unbalance..the hip should be more foward
about the ninja animation:
when he climb the first wall one leg is broken...
the front flip should be more high..and have a better trajectory...also you need to exagerate more the anticipation before the jump
and when he jump wall to wall at the end the timing is to fast... when the character is anticipating for the next jump should be more slow
he should built the momentum for the next jump
i suggest you to add a frame counter in the animation.. so will be more easy to help you

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2009, 11:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.