PDA

View Full Version : The road to character animation: Day one. Critiques please.

EvilZurg
02-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Hello all!

In anticipation for school I have started to focus on animation more than fiddling around with modeling. This is my first walk cycle and would like some tips and critiques, be blunt please.

I am looking for help with the wrists and fingers especially, and then any area you see that needs work as well.

Thanks for your time!

Walk Cycle One: 2-25-09

http://vimeo.com/3374046

theskydreamer2003
02-26-2009, 10:27 AM
critique:
- the feet seems to be very raw, big
- and the heels rise to high
-by the way he moves his hips i would say that's a woman walk but steel to much
-when we walk we don't move our shoulder actually, they are soldered to the body with clavicle the clavicle is the actual bone that's moving so the moving comes from the center of the body, not just the extremes moves, that is to much stillness up-there, the same with those to middle ones.
-when in walk the fingers are slightly bent from the middle in a very relaxed pose
Try to make a walk of yourself if u have a web-camera to have it as reference

EvilZurg
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
critique:
- the feet seems to be very raw, big
- and the heels rise to high
-by the way he moves his hips i would say that's a woman walk but steel to much
-when we walk we don't move our shoulder actually, they are soldered to the body with clavicle the clavicle is the actual bone that's moving so the moving comes from the center of the body, not just the extremes moves, that is to much stillness up-there, the same with those to middle ones.
-when in walk the fingers are slightly bent from the middle in a very relaxed pose
Try to make a walk of yourself if u have a web-camera to have it as reference

Hi,

Thank you for the comments I will start to tweak all of those things.

The feet being large, there is not much I can do it is just one of those basic models rigged to learn the walk cycle.

Tad Ghostal
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
I agree with what theskydreamer2003 said, but wanted to give some props that this is a pretty decent walk for your first time.

Mitali
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey, way to go, only if you could animate the upper part, seems stiff!

ajfrank
03-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Very good for your first walk cycle :thumbsup:

Only going to mention a few small things so I'm not repeating too much of whats been said already.
-this walk is looking feminine to me right now. Maybe thats what you want, but if not, just look at easing down the hips movement just a little. It's good that you have it in but I think your pushing it slightly too much.

-As already mention his upper body is way too stiff. The combination of having his upper body, (torso, chest and shoulders), so stiff the way it is now, and how much his hips are swaying,(plus his arms but get to that later) is making him look like a runway model. But even so, runway models chest still move when walking...

-His arms are good if its a female walk but if it's a male walk, I would broaden it outwards, or move it away from his body, just a little more than what you have now.

-And for his shoulders I think they're just a little too high for a walk. It look as though it shoulders are still at it's default position. I never messed with that rig so I dont know it's limitations but if it's meant to do a basic walk cycle it should allow you to lower its shoulders some.

These just my opinions. Regardless if you make the change or not it's still a nice walk cycle for your first attempt. Good job

phantomworkshop
04-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Great first walk. Just be careful of those dreaded feet sliding!

That killed me at AM ;)

Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2009, 08:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.