PDA

View Full Version : Architectural work: Gothic/Roman Tower

Theta-Dot
07-03-2003, 04:43 PM
I didn't really know what kind of architectural style this falls under... No big deal!

3ds max 5, untextured, just rendered with light tracer. It says "WIP" in the bottom but I think I'm pretty much done with it... just wanna hear some comments :) I posted this in the gallery a long time ago but for some reason very few people replied to it. So I'm gonna try in here because you're supposodly the "serious" folk. Don't be shy... reply!

http://thetadot.lazyarse.net/ThetaDot/3D/ArchWIP3.jpg

http://thetadot.lazyarse.net/ThetaDot/3D/Archwire.jpg

thanks

=ThetaDot=

Theta-Dot
07-03-2003, 04:46 PM
I know that's a crappy wireframe... if you want a better one focusing on specific parts lemme know...

Mangled Poly
07-03-2003, 04:59 PM
wow im not sure i can say one thing negative about this... the detials and style is simply amazing, and i love the look of the wireframe!

this is topnotch i must say..

I would recamend playing with some stone/plaster procederuals though, and maybe make it less uniform, you have to rember if you are going for the new look, even that many years ago it wasnt that perfect, so maybe adding chips in places may make it less uniform, and add a more stylish look!

rikrog
07-03-2003, 05:14 PM
this is the sort of thing i'm thinking of doing to help me learn C4D, very nice

four things

one of the sets of panels on the dome looks wider than all the rest?

it looks like somethings missing off the top! like a fancy prong needs to go there or something?

the inset swirly carvings, while nice, look too deep and narrow for stone or plaster work.

in my opinion the stonework looks a little unrealistic. for example: columns are usually built out of large stacked blocks, not out of lots of little blocks.

rik

maxmare
07-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Good work, maybe the reason not much people reply is because there isn't much to reply to.
Your model looks very detailed and well done, the style of the architecture is historicist, which is doing whatever you want with bits and pieces of historic styles such as the greek or the roman to name the biggest. If your aim was to have a 5star model you have it. To include it in your portfolio or even to show it better I'd render about 5 closeup details to go with it in a nice basic stone texture, getting rid of the lines and leaving the shadows to rule the space alone. If you want to show the wireframe, do it in the same fashion, showing close ups and fixed the floor were the lines become too dense in the center, either hide the edges o make new concentric edges in the same fashion you are showing the dome.
Another thought: create some dramatic lighting for it, using different hues to create a mood, at the moment is a B&W piece that doesn't excite my optical nerves enough for some reason.
Show us more. Top model.

Colin de bink
07-03-2003, 06:29 PM
first of all id like to say that I think this is a great model.
I do have one thing that bugs me however
the scale of this building compared to a human seems pritty big. so where are the steps to get in to this thing?
the steps we see here in the front seem to be something like waste hight or even higher! I might be wrong on the scale of this thing though. or the antrance is on the other side of the building. well in that case i'd like the see a picture of that please...?

demo38
07-03-2003, 06:41 PM
I couldn't agree more with maxmare on the closeups. Some raked perspectives even would be nice additions. Even of one column, looking up?

Some of the detailing looking so intricate, I think would look sweet as cast ironwork maybe. Against the stone it would be pretty striking. You could even age it using some rust streaks in the reveals ever so slightly.

It would also be nice to see each of the "faces" around the building as different expressions... Some mad, serious, sad, etc...

Excellent work! I love that wireframe.

vnm_rao
07-03-2003, 07:11 PM
good inspiring work,nice desings
i like this type of traditional architect,nice keep posting some more images

Theta-Dot
07-05-2003, 01:42 AM
Thanks a whole lot for all of your comments. Means a lot to me. I'll try and tweak the model and get those renders out soon.

=ThetaDot=

wedge
07-11-2003, 02:21 AM
holy jeebus. that is stunning! :eek:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.