PDA

View Full Version : I do a lot of compositing in After effects and create all my 3d elements in 3d studio

grantsalisbury
02-25-2009, 03:05 PM
I do a lot of compositing in After effects and create all my 3d elements in 3d studio max. I use render elements in every render and spend a lot of time when trying to import these image sequences into after effects. Since after effects does not condense an image sequence into one file it takes a lot of time importing multiple image sequences. I have to sort through a folder with hundreds of images and select each individual image sequence for import. Just getting my image sequences into after effects can take 30 minutes. If an image sequence is separated into its own folder though After Effects will import the folder as a image sequence. A time saving solution to this would be a post render script from max. The script would query the render elements and look in the name field of each render element. It would then create a folder for each render element based on the name field. The script would then move each image sequence into its corresponding folder. This would make importing very easy since you could now just grab all the folders with their single image sequences and drag them straight into after effects. Since each image sequence is in their own folder After Effects would import each image sequence separately and correctly. Unfortunately I do not know maxscript and waste hours of my life importing image sequences. Can someone help me?

msmith81
02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
If I understand your problem, I don't think you need any scripting at all. If all you need to do is put each render element in it's own folder, this can be done on the Render Elements tab of the Render Setup dialog. Just click on an element and specify the folder below. Hope that helps.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.