PDA

View Full Version : Per surface ray-recursion?

wizlon
07-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Per surface ray-recursion?
I know it's possible in Renderman, but is it possible to set the ray recursion on a per surface basis with-in Lightwave?, or maybe a third party plug-in?

Thanks.

Lee.

lightwolf
07-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Simple answer: No.
Sorry :)
Cheers,
Mike

Limbus
07-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Maybe in 8.

Florian

mrcz
07-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Yes, through evasion`s Hypersmooth plugin (surface shader).
http://render.cz/download/hs_recursion.jpg

Martin

vbk!!!
07-03-2003, 02:47 PM
not sure but i think "ogo hikari" plug can do that

wizlon
07-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Thanks MRCZ, Hypersmooth sounds perfect. Does it have a huge impact on render times? Are there lots of other useful features that make it worth the money? I have G2 here and wonder if the features are similar or if they will work well together?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks for your time.

Lee.

mrcz
07-03-2003, 06:23 PM
I am not a HS or G2 master in any case. The following is based on my short experience with both of them.
Does it have a huge impact on render times?
It depends on settings, mainly on number of sampling rays per pixel (more samples give you finer look of the soft reflections). But you have full control.
lift_door_HS and lift_ceiling_G2_SSS
http://render.cz/download/hs_G2_lift.jpg
Are there lots of other useful features that make it worth the money?
Hmm, yes (for me). I am involved in architecture visualizations and I need it. But I did not have enough time to play with all features.
HS adds advanced gradients set for example.
http://render.cz/download/hs_gradients.jpg

I have G2 here and wonder if the features are similar or if they will work well together?

HS main feature is (SOFT) REFLECTIONS with huge posibilities to control it.

HS is a shader and G2 is a pixel filter. I mean that G2 knows nothing about other shaders (and theirs outputs). On the other side HS knows nothing about G2 backside polys etc.
You can not use both together for reflections, because HS requires to disable LW Reflection (set up Reflection OFF in the Render Panel or set up blank Sperical reflection map on Surface Environment Panel).

Thanks for your time.

For nothing.

Martin

Arte
07-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by mrcz
I am not a HS or G2 master in any case. The following is based on my short experience with both of them.

Martin

I don't even own it but I am sure you can use LW and HS reflections together, you have to adjust the environment setting I think it was called. The setting to spherical is if you only want to use HS I think.

X

mrcz
07-04-2003, 11:30 AM
I don't even own it but I am sure you can use LW and HS reflections together, you have to adjust the environment setting I think it was called. The setting to spherical is if you only want to use HS I think.

Yes, you can, but it does not make sense. You can hardly predict result of that conjuction (HS+LW+G2) on single surface. Moreover you want probably to avoid LW`s additive reflection or set its amount by HS Additive Factor.

I quote from the HS manual.
Important: If a surface has the HyperSmooth shader applied, the LW reflections on this surface must be turned off. A blank spherical reflection mode is recommended, or disable LW reflections completely from within the render panel. This is just to avoid a doubled reflection simulation, one from HS and another from LW. Since both reflections would appear exactly on the same place, and LW reflections can be easily simulated by HS, having raytraced both HS and LW reflection on the same surface makes no sense. You can combine HS on given surface with LW reflections on different surfaces if you wish, though.

Martin

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.