PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max - Skylight & Indirect Lighting

Mathieson
02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I have noticed in 3ds Max when using a skylight that my lighting pass gives an unexpected result. When the skylight is on the lighting pass is just way too bright.

I can set up a composite with all of my render elements when the skylight is off and get it to look exactly like the render straight from Max. As soon as I turn the skylight back on and replace the footage, in that same comp, it is a complete mess.

Can anybody explain why this happens? Is there any way around it other than just rendering it without the skylight active and brightening the scene up in post?

Thanks.

Seraph135
03-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm guessing your not rendering to floating point. If your going to be using the lighting pass (the one that is just the lighting on matte white objects) then you have to render to floating point. All your lighting data is getting clamped and therefore will not composite back together properly.

Tim J

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2009, 06:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.