PDA

View Full Version : Animation - pls critique

red2rose4
02-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Hi, Pls critique my animation :bounce:
CLICK HERE (http://www.vimeo.com/3349573)

iliketrees
02-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I think the first arm movement is too quick but generally its really good!

The expressions in the eyes really make this animation.

What software did the use and how did you rig him? Is he your own character?

red2rose4
02-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Thnx for that iliketrees, actually it is a free characte rig available in highend3d.com

torresmedia
02-24-2009, 05:40 PM
It's to stiff in between the movements. Smooth that up with some really small movements, and I think you got it ;) Keep up the good work!

Tad Ghostal
02-24-2009, 06:10 PM
There's several times where you have him hit a pose, like when he looks at his fingers or the poses near then end that his body doesn't move at all. If it was a 2d anim, that could work, but in 3d the character just seems to 'die'. Adding some subtle motion to the arms so it's not staying completely in place when he's holding it up in the air, and some subtle movement to the hips when he's standing still would help a lot.

Also near the end when he looks around only his head moves, if you have him move his shoulders and upper body as he looks around that'd look good too.

I do like right at the beginning when he just glances to the side with his eyes. Maybe add to that and have him glance to the right then to the left, and then continue on with the anim.

rstratton
02-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Right now it feels as though you are just in the base blocking phase of your animation.

First off all the movement is very linear and seems to hit all on the same frame. Anything that is living and isn't mechanical moves in arches. A prime example would be the arm that your character is waving around. You have it just shooting from one pose to another when the arm would arch between the poses. This is mainly happening because you are using IK in the arms and you aren't building in the arch's like you need to. Also everything is hitting/stopping on the same frame which never happens. You need to decide what is driving the action and then let the other parts of the body settle in. For example if he is driving his movement with his head it should get their first, then the body a few frames later, then the arms would come in and start to settle, and all this overlapping action would give the character life.

You have some solid poses in there to work from you just need to start adding the principles to your animation. Also if you add a frame counter to Maya it would be a little easier for critiques.

red2rose4
02-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Thanx a lot to all of u I am in learning process & surely I have to improve it for the next level. However all your words are really helping me to improve & learn the principles of animation.

Mitali
03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
A moving hold is very useful.

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.