PDA

View Full Version : Music Sync!

ThreeDBFX
07-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Hey Everyone,

I'm having a little trouble here and I'm in need of some assistance.

I'm trying to animate a scene (elements in a scene) to a piece of music. I get my audio in there and using my timing sheet I start setting my keyframes. Now I'm not sure if it's a LW thing or what, but when I play a preview animation back...my animation is not synced to my music. If the preview which is playing back at 30 fps is changed to play back at 24 fps...it syncs OK. However, the audio itself is not 24 fps. Am I missing something here? I wanna be sure before I commit to animating this whole sequence ( it's huge). If anyone here has any ideas, I would really like to hear from you!

Thanks in advance!

ThreeDBFX

Carm3D
07-03-2003, 12:52 PM
That's a weird one.. Is it possible you are saving the animation to something other than 30 fps? If LW is animating at 30 fps, make sure your animation is saved to the same speed.

You might like to see this (http://www.Carm3D.net/media/Manhattan.MP4) (7 MB), I'm working on something like a mini music video.. It's very incomplete as of yet. It'll be rendered in LW, but I'm animating in Messiah.

ThreeDBFX
07-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Carm3D
That's a weird one.. Is it possible you are saving the animation to something other than 30 fps? If LW is animating at 30 fps, make sure your animation is saved to the same speed.

You might like to see this (http://www.Carm3D.net/media/Manhattan.MP4) (7 MB), I'm working on something like a mini music video.. It's very incomplete as of yet. It'll be rendered in LW, but I'm animating in Messiah.

Hey Carm3D,

My animation is being saved out at the right FPS. When I render some frames and lay in the audio in After Effects...it's syncs fine. It's a LW issue, the thing is...is there some way to correct it or am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,

ThreeDBFX

Carm3D
07-03-2003, 09:56 PM
It's hard for me to diagnose without being there.

In Layout's General Options, the frame rate is set to 30 correct?

While you're in there, experiment with the "Play at Exact Rate" thingie.. Mine is off but I don't have any synch problems.

I wish there was more I could think of. :shrug:

ThreeDBFX
07-03-2003, 10:08 PM
It's hard for me to diagnose without being there.

In Layout's General Options, the frame rate is set to 30 correct?

While you're in there, experiment with the "Play at Exact Rate" thingie.. Mine is off but I don't have any synch problems.

I wish there was more I could think of. :shrug:

Thanks Carm3D,

My frame rate is set to 30 and play at exact rate is turned on. I think the problem is that there is enough going on in the scene to disrupt the audio playback. I've been told by others that audio playback in LW is not that great. So for now, I guess I'll have to just wing it....and keep testing.

Thanks for yer help,

ThreeDBFX

Merlin
07-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Can't think of an immediate cause/solution either, but this might help. You can change your timeline display from fps to timecode, in the Display options panel I believe. That way you can look at the exact timecode of the song and match it up. even if it gets off in LW's playback, if it's mathematically correct, then you should have no problems.

Neal

ThreeDBFX
07-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Merlin
Can't think of an immediate cause/solution either, but this might help. You can change your timeline display from fps to timecode, in the Display options panel I believe. That way you can look at the exact timecode of the song and match it up. even if it gets off in LW's playback, if it's mathematically correct, then you should have no problems.

Neal

Thanks Merlin,

I've mapped my frames in Final Cut Pro, so I know where they should be. When I render out some frames, then lay the audio back in using FCP or After Effects, the audio is in sync. I just wish I was able to get this type of feedback in LW, that would make life so much easier.

Thanks again :beer:

Carm3D
07-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Just curious.. What's your system's specs? (CPU, memory, video card, audio)

I'm wondering if the playback synch is effected by a bottleneck from one of these elements.

ThreeDBFX
07-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Just curious.. What's your system's specs? (CPU, memory, video card, audio)

I'm wondering if the playback synch is effected by a bottleneck from one of these elements.

Hey Carm3D,

I'm running a Dual 2.4 gig Xeon Machine, with a gig of RAMBUS RAM, nVidia GForce 4 TI 4600 graphics card, audio is built in to the main board.

Carm3D
07-05-2003, 11:53 AM
> I'm running a Dual 2.4 gig Xeon Machine, with a gig of
> RAMBUS RAM, nVidia GForce 4 TI 4600 graphics card,
> audio is built in to the main board.

Well! (ahem) I guess there are no bottlenecks there..

Nice computer! I'm jealous.

Perhaps try running it on only one processor instead of both.. Who knows... Shot in the dark. :shrug: I'm no technician.

Can I play at your house sometime?

ThreeDBFX
07-05-2003, 07:00 PM
> I'm running a Dual 2.4 gig Xeon Machine, with a gig of
> RAMBUS RAM, nVidia GForce 4 TI 4600 graphics card,
> audio is built in to the main board.

Well! (ahem) I guess there are no bottlenecks there..

Nice computer! I'm jealous.

Perhaps try running it on only one processor instead of both.. Who knows... Shot in the dark. :shrug: I'm no technician.

Can I play at your house sometime?

Hey Carm3D,

I got lucky with the comp. A friend of mine who is a genius tech built it for me. So basically, it just cost me parts...I say I got really lucky. If you want, I can ask if he's still building machines. Maybe you can get a deal....just a thought.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.