PDA

View Full Version : Organic Centerpeice

natesrig
02-23-2009, 07:42 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/317136_1235418117/680bound
(http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/317136_1235418117/1024bound)This project ended up being a huge undertaking for me. I began by immersing myself in all things Yerka. There was one aspect of Yerkas creative process that I truly took to heart: making my family the judge, jury, and executioner of ideas. I found that this directed me away from my usual tendancy to have an underlying tone of darkness in my work, and closer to the lighter, playful feeling that is present with most of Jaceks work. Still important was to maintain the feeling of the image as a window into the soul of mankind, introspective, and investigative of the relationship between man and nature.

The idea process was quite grueling and dozens of early concepts fell short of what I wanted to acheive, and did not pass the scrutiny of my loving girlfriend. The image that I have come to present as my final peice merged a few ideas together, though it was not realized until a dream I had where the marriage of those ideas occured. I woke that morning with the layout and this bizarre perspective fresh in my mind and began sketching it out.

The final image took about 6 weeks to complete, and most of it was painted in corel painter on a single layer at an extremley high resolution. It was important to me to do this because I felt it might better capture the flow that yerka would experience in the creation of his art, and though it made the process alot more difficult and time consuming I feel it was worth it.

I hope my image is enjoyed by all and seen as a proper homage to the style that Jacek Yerka has developed. I can't help but wonder what Mr. Yerka would think.

natesrig
02-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Just because I can hear all my little details screaming out in agony :P
http://nathanscv.com/documents/nvart/NathanSrigley_NVartSurreal_OrganicCenterpeice.jpg

GlennEBrooks
02-24-2009, 02:48 PM
The high res version definitely has a lot more to say. Well done. I use Painter too and appreciate all the detail work. Did you have a preference for certain mediums or brushes for the clouds?

natesrig
02-24-2009, 04:20 PM
The high res version definitely has a lot more to say. Well done. I use Painter too and appreciate all the detail work. Did you have a preference for certain mediums or brushes for the clouds?

Thank you for the kind words :) I stick to a really simple brush set most of the time. detail airbrush with the minimum size set to 25% and the 'just add water' blender get me 90% of the way there. I do like to use some of the sponge brushes when it comes to clouds to add some texture and irregulerities, and I also have a super-secret-cloud-weapon in the form of a photoshop cloud brush that i use for polishing up certain edges on the clouds when im happy with the shapes and shadows.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2009, 04:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.