PDA

View Full Version : Character : female figure study

whitey
07-03-2003, 05:01 AM
I'm looking for some serious critiques on the modeling.
Please exclude comments on the eyeballs because they are placeholders.
This is a figure study, I would like to use this model on a demo reel.
Thanks for your flames, and sorry the images are so large. ;)

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~amackie/postimages/serfront.jpg

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~amackie/postimages/wirefront.jpg

Riptyde
07-03-2003, 05:17 AM
A great start! Some things I noticed however:

There needs to be more definition in the base of the thumb to hand and wrist area. It all seems to meld togather. The forearms also seem weak, but it might just be the wrist area thats making it look that way.

The other thing is in the front view, her legs seem abit meaty. This is especially true in the lower leg area. the ankles need slimming up like the wrists. She also has no arch in the inside of her feet, and the toes look kind of stubby, but that could be the angle of the image as well.

could we see some more views? Back side? I'd like to see the back side of her elbows.

As I said in the begining...great start. I think you just need some tweeking and things should be good.

Riptyde.

whitey
07-03-2003, 05:22 AM
i will post a backside image shortly. I'm rendering large images for a reason. I will post as soon as I get one out. thanks.

Mangled Poly
07-03-2003, 05:28 AM
if your trying to do a true figure study for a woman of that size i would consider reconsidering the size of her breats they seem to big, the drop on them is very nice but the size seems a little to large

whitey
07-03-2003, 06:46 AM
Alright, Its very obvious that I have not spent as much time on the backside. I know there are funny lumps and folds. I have accidently screwed up the hands and wrists just within the 2 minutes before rendering. I will donate time torward these areas before i post another render. Please comment on proportions and I will post a less humiliating image later of the fixes. Thanks so much.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~amackie/postimages/serback.jpg

Riptyde
07-04-2003, 03:20 AM
An additional comment from looking at the back side. Her hands look alittle boxy yet.

pigwater
07-04-2003, 03:42 AM
hey whitey - one thing i noticed is the thighs look a little straight here when actually they have a bend thing going on ... i enclosed a pic , hope ya don't mind

whitey
07-04-2003, 06:49 AM
thanks pigwater and riptyde

rip it to shreds... this is the toughest part. i hate how not matter how long you work on a project there are always faults. i am still not able to find them all by myself...i relly so much on critiques

-K2-
07-04-2003, 06:59 AM
The arms are too short for her body. The arm span from finger tip to finger tip should be roughly her hight.

Looking good though. keep it up.

Trolldeg
07-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Couldn't you've made the breasts a bit bigger?

whitey
07-04-2003, 05:42 PM
I love getting comments about the breasts. I always get them. Anyways, this character is supposed to be a slut. I figured she should have sex appeal. She will literally be a street corner hooker.

nemirc
07-04-2003, 06:58 PM
First I think the legs should have more "curves" (most of the times woman = curves :beer: ).
I also think that the arms are way too short (t-rex arms?). That goes for the fingers too.
Also, the head is a little bit pointi :surprised

As for the breasts.. I don't mind that size at all :D

Nice model BTW.

just my two cents.

Matt
07-05-2003, 12:29 AM
The legs look really boxy, and her breasts are a bit odd.

whitey
07-05-2003, 02:12 PM
ok guys, I think this is close to the final revision. I have corrected many of the suggested details.. here is a final version of the model. any last suggestions please blurb them out

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~amackie/postimages/frontbackser.jpg

xynaria
07-06-2003, 01:39 AM
I'd be interested in what possible reason you could give for sticking images of that size (kb not pixels)on a web page cos I can't think of one especially when it isn't textured.
Crtiques.. what have you used for reference? As a start it's there but at the moment it looks pretty much totally generiic and the only way I think you are going to get any further it is to actually start looking at proper reference, hands and feet in particular. For general proprtions the Leonardo square is actually a reasonable rule of thumb and would reveal the arms as too short. You might also be better served if you put front and side wire frames, preferably not at ludicrous sizes.

whitey
07-06-2003, 09:22 AM
Brandon,

Thanks for your comments, I am also concerned about the hands. I personally hate making them because they either match the character or they don't. If they don't, i tend to fiddle with it for weeks before i'm satisfied. Call me weird or slow, I work on my models in short intervals between days and nights. I am probably going to redo the hands from scratch just for practice. About the the division between the abs, I think you're talking about the virtical division. The division does exist on my model, it however is poorly lit by my gi. Also about the breasts... I'm glad that you feel the same that I do, because there are many girls who have these proportions and I know that there are many of them in my college environment. I have had girlfriends who's breasts are larger than these on a figure about the same size. In fact, In the end this character looked just like one of my exes... I had not intended for that to happen, nor do I want to continue building models that look like my exes... Her breasts are not large, and In this model I wanted a girl who was not annorexic super skinny. So, with this breast size I was satisfied and approved by two members of a harsh female critique team. bleh. that was a long explanation. Thanks Brandon.

Xynaria,

I'm sorry my images are large. I'll appologize for a second time since the appology in the first post wasn't good enough. The reasons I post large images are these:

1. I keep backup images of my work as I work along as proof of concept and developement.
2. I can post large images on my website because I have several hundred megs of space from my university, and I am able to transfer them from my webspace, to my university account, and my home pc all from one address.
3. Its always nice to have a good picture of a project you started if you don't have the chance to finish it.

I don't generally distribute my references on the internet because I'm a grouch about the measures I take to obtain them.. I do use several books over anatomy however, I use them quite frequently. One such book I would recomend because it is my favorite book, is Anatomy for the Artist. That book has excellent illustrations that are set up for artists in commonly saught poses for 3d artists.. Here are front and side wireframes, I hope this size isn't too ludicrous for you.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~amackie/postimages/frontside.jpg

Aearon
07-06-2003, 11:56 PM
i think you still need to take care of the curvature in some areas. both the mid-section of her back and the belly area look flat, and the inner side of the thighs still needs to be curvier imo. the belly-button a little plain compared to the rest of the mesh.

another thing i noticed is that the face might have a masculine touch. it might just be the missing hair, but i also think the mouth is a tad too big.. or maybe i'm just wrong ;) we'll see once you have some hair on her

uncon
07-08-2003, 09:02 PM
It is looking good, I still think her arms are a little short. She should be as tall as she is wide from finger tip to finger tip, I think a little bit of stretching should fix that.

check this out, a quick photoshop test:
http://web.nmsu.edu/~aaberger/prop.jpg[/IMG]

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.