PDA

View Full Version : Crosswalk export to 3dsMax multiple UV's are scrambled?

Lasercade
02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Hello,
I'm trying to use Crosswalk 3.11 in XSI 7.01 to export a model to 3ds Max.I have an object that has multiple uv's and the problem I'm having is that Crosswalk is totally shredding up the UV's on export:

Here's an example of what I'm getting - top images are the UV's in XSI, bottom images are how the UV's look after export/import through Crosswalk.

http://www.lasercade.com/crosswalk_uvs.jpg

Strangely, it seems to scramble one half of the UV.

I've tried exporting through Crosswalk and the UV's import back into XSI twisted in each one. Interestingly, the Collada export DOES preserve the UV's correctly, unfortunately, it doesn't preserve all the material information, so doesn't work for my purposes.

I've uploaded a scene with the object and I'm hoping someone could please take a look and help determine what the problem is:

http://www.lasercade.com/crosswalktest.zip

Thanks for your help,

mm

IZZE
02-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Your scene works fine here. XSI 7.01 & Max 9 x64. I have Binary and Triangulate turned off in Crosswalk export from Max. What are you trying to do in Max with the obj?

Lasercade
02-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi IZZLE,

Thanks so much for checking for me... I really appreciate it. I've spent hours on this (sure you've been there!).

here's my import/export settings:

www.lasercade.com/exportimport.jpeg

I'm trying to send a model to a max user (I don't have max myself) but I was just checking to see if the model was ok by re-importing it via crosswalk into xsi. No matter what I do, I get those weird UV things on import.

Softimage support is not able to reproduce this, and you're saying that my scene is fine so I'm really at a loss!

Could you do me a favor and try to import the cube_test.xsi file that is in the dotXSI folder in the project? I'm trying to find out where things are going wrong.

thank you!

mm

IZZE
02-24-2009, 09:51 PM
I see what your doing. I get the same jumbled UV's when importing the dotxsi file exported from XSI. But I do not get the jumbled UV's when I actually open the dotxsi file in Max, then export it again from Max, creating a new dotxsi file. Be assured the file you export from XSI opens correctly in Max. Then once your friend is finished with it, he should create a new dotxsi file for you from Max.

Lasercade
02-25-2009, 12:04 AM
oh ok that's strange... because softimage support could not reproduce what i was seeing by re-importing into XSI. very weird. well I'll send it out and see if it works for them. I just would like to check whatever I send first. Seems strange that it should be messed up like that.

thanks for your help. I could bang my head on this all week.

mm

IZZE
02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I could not reproduce it on my objects either. So I took your scene, selected all polys, Extract Poly's > Delete. Exported dotxsi. That kept the uv's in tact when re-importing the dotxsi back to XSI.

I do that poly extract when my objects start acting weird.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.