PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a College (Need Help)

MattShort
02-23-2009, 03:55 AM
Alright, I'm a high school student in South Carolina and I'm looking toward colleges. My parents want me to stay in South Carolina or North Carolina because they don't want me to be too far away and are afraid I won't like/want that. I personally don't care since they aren't actually home very often anyways.

My parents looked at The Art Institute of Charolette, The Art Institute of Charleston, and The Art Institute of Releigh-Durham. These colleges will only apply if I am going to become a Graphics Designer or Website Designer. I personally was looking at the Vancouver Film School.

The careers I'm looking toward right now are either an Animator or Concept Artist.

My parents are willing to pay up to around $80,000 US Dollars for Tuition.

Slurry
02-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Vancouver is an awesome city. I've heard good things about VFS and have worked with grads and a former instructor from there. Very talented people.

I don't know anything about the schools in the Carolinas but I don't think you can go wrong with Vancouver. Plus, living away from home for college is one of the best things you can do. You'll grow a lot as a person when you get out from your parent's wing, although they mean well.
It's only a plane ride away anyway.
Good luck.

Art

ps - you'll love Canada, eh! ;)

JoshAdler
02-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Vancouver film school has a great reputation. Also, you won't be having to pay that 80 grand, up here in Canada, University will cost you from 5- 20 g's...

goalieman392
02-23-2009, 07:54 AM
I go to Scad in Atlanta, and have had a very positive experience so far. The professors know what they are doing and have all worked on games/ movies very recently, and most have pretty long resumes. Plus, its Atlanta, ive always loved living here.. got an apartment less than a mile from the school and its basically in buckhead, the nice part of town.

Anyways, last time i went to SC it was about 4 hrs to drive there, so maybe tell your parents, its far away enough to be on your own, but close enought hat you could go home for the weekend if you wanted to.

meyers3d
02-23-2009, 09:50 PM
I go to Scad in Atlanta, and have had a very positive experience so far. The professors know what they are doing and have all worked on games/ movies very recently, and most have pretty long resumes. Plus, its Atlanta, ive always loved living here.. got an apartment less than a mile from the school and its basically in buckhead, the nice part of town.

Anyways, last time i went to SC it was about 4 hrs to drive there, so maybe tell your parents, its far away enough to be on your own, but close enought hat you could go home for the weekend if you wanted to.

Or SCAD in savannah, which is literally 5 mins from SC as well.

ShadowM8
02-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Vancouver film school has a great reputation. Also, you won't be having to pay that 80 grand, up here in Canada, University will cost you from 5- 20 g's...
VFS tuition is $52,750 CND to be exact! I would check out SCAD as well before considering a move to VFS.

JYoung
02-24-2009, 12:44 AM
The careers I'm looking toward right now are either an Animator or Graphics Designer/Concept Artist.

Graphic designer and concept artist aren't anywhere near the same thing. If you can figure out what it is you want to do, it's much easier to give you a school suggestion.

I wouldn't look at any of the AIs in your area if you want to be an animator or concept artist. And really, VFS probably isn't the best choice for animation or concept art.

MattShort
02-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Graphic designer and concept artist aren't anywhere near the same thing. If you can figure out what it is you want to do, it's much easier to give you a school suggestion.

I wouldn't look at any of the AIs in your area if you want to be an animator or concept artist. And really, VFS probably isn't the best choice for animation or concept art.

Alright I took another look at what a Graphics Artist is defined as and adjusted my post accordingling. Also, do you mind elaborating on that last part.

JYoung
02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Well, you already touched on the AIs in your area not offering animation degrees, and they don't have any program that really lends itself well to being a concept artist.

VFS definitely has a good reputation in general, but I think Animation Mentor would be a better choice if you want to be an animator. They focus strictly on animation, and I think in a shorter non-degree program, the more focus the better. If you're looking to do a 4 year program, I can't give you any good suggestions, but hopefully more people can.

For concept art, I'd look at doing a BFA in illustration or something similar at one of the more well known schools. Someone already mentioned SCAD which is close to you, and has a pretty good reputation. Ringling, RISD, AAU are others that might be worth looking into. Ateliers are becoming more and more popular for people that don't want to go the art school route.

Now, if you're not really sure what you want to do, a 4 year school might give you the time needed to figure it out. Concept artists and animators use some similar skills, but are very different positions. At some point you will need to pick one to focus on.

CPFitz14
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
I go to East Tennessee State University, which isn't too far away from you. It's somewhat easy to get an in state tuition scholarship, which makes it really cheap for the equipment and software you get access to. The computers are updated regularly as well as the software. We just got new computers, along with Maya 09. You'll have to work hard if you want to get a job, but I assume its like that anywhere. It might not be VFS but it will definitely give you the opportunity to get out of it what you put into it.

The website, unfortunately, is a little out of date.

digm.etsu.edu

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.