PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Hand Drawn 2D Animation for Critique !

papostol
02-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Hello everyone,

Discussion on technique are welcome. This is my second 2D animation.

http://home.comcast.net/~ppapostol/Critique.wmv

Thanks for your input,

Peter

BUZZFX
02-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Peter that was very good IMO for 2D animation. It must have taken a lot of work to produce that. What did you animate that in?

torresmedia
02-23-2009, 06:25 AM
I agree with Buzz! That's very good :) Same Q from me: What software did you use?

papostol
02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Well,

I animated it in Windows Movie Maker.

I drew frames of the characters moving on a light table that I made myself. I scanned them all in, and used GIMP to color them and to put in the background. I didn't color each frame one by one, I used a script to automatically do a magic wand type select of an area, and then automatically bucket fill that selected area. The script also replaced the white backkground in each frame with the woods background.

What took the longest was drawing the key frames, then the inbetweens, and the scanning.

The movements of my characters are crude and simple. I wonder how the professional animators do the complex movements, like a fight scene, or two child characters at play ?

Peter

Tad Ghostal
02-24-2009, 07:31 PM
One thing to keep an eye on is there should be up and down movement when they take a step. Adding that might make the girls hair swinging back and forth look better, right now it's just swinging back and forth but there doesn't really seem to be any motion in the head or budy that would make it swing like that.

Looking good for your 2nd attempt at 2d, Keep posting updates.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2009, 07:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.