PDA

View Full Version : What happened to vertex as a particle type?

garryclarke
02-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi,

I'm following a tutorial that sets the particle type to 'vertex' and then uses mesher to create a mesh made up of vertices and no polys etc.

However I'm using Max 2009 with all the latest patches and subscription add ons, there is now a whole host of shapes I can use but there is now no 'vertex' shape.

Can anyone give me any guidance as to how I can proceed.

Cheers
Garry

Piflik
02-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Can you post a link to the tutorial? I have never seen something like Vertex as Particle type. I know Ticks or Dots, but not Vertex.

Bobo
02-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi,

I'm following a tutorial that sets the particle type to 'vertex' and then uses mesher to create a mesh made up of vertices and no polys etc.

However I'm using Max 2009 with all the latest patches and subscription add ons, there is now a whole host of shapes I can use but there is now no 'vertex' shape.

Can anyone give me any guidance as to how I can proceed.

Cheers
Garry

The original ShapeStandard operator has been replaced in 2009 + Extension and in 2010 by the ShapePlus operator (now called ShapeLibrary in 2010) which was part of the Box #1 / PFlow Advanced package.

That being said, the old Shape is still creatable by MAXScript, so you can work around by opening the MAXScript Listener and typing in

ShapeStandard()

This will create a new unconnected event in Particle View with an old Shape operator in it which you can drag into your flow and set to Vertex. It will remain there for backwards compatibility with Max scenes from previous releases.

garryclarke
02-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Hi Bobo,

That's brilliant thanks so much for your help and explanation. I shall file this one away into my very useful tips file.

Cheers
Garry

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2009, 08:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.