PDA

View Full Version : Object: human skull

betelgeuse
07-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Final skull from a wip thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52499) :

http://www.stratacafe.com/profiles/images/mike_gleason/2289722003154434.jpg

Bliz
07-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Cool Nice Work! :thumbsup:

Soulstorm
07-02-2003, 10:33 PM
the teeth are too perfectly rounded and the symmetry in textures makes it look 'eh'..

Nakalay
07-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Is it supposed to be anatomically correct?

Cyborgguineapig
07-02-2003, 11:46 PM
Ah you guys,I mean Geese, This is a great model and Great lighting and great texturing, does it have to be a perfect Human skull? There are so many difefrent looking people in the world and I wouldn't be surprised if Skull here perfectly matches some man's skull somewhere on this earth. Besides the teeth with are maybe a bit too round:shrug: I think where people see the flaw is with the maybe oversized jawbone. With the height of the Jawbone, some people may view the entirity of the skull to be a bit to elongated horizontally. But who's too say this is anotomically incorrect? Every human on the face of the planet, just as with a Zebra's stripes, has a little differences in their skull bones. If their weren't these imperfections than our crime stoppers of the world could not accurately make 3D clay models representing the skin on an unkown person(s) Skull. Skin on the skull and its thickness is determined by the shape of the skull, its imperfections, Knowing this, Whats wrong with a little bigger Jaw bone? Look at the render again and just picture the skull without the jaw bone, Looks Really good no?

ceql
07-03-2003, 12:02 AM
good work! :D

I agree with what Cyborgguineapig said, altho if it were upto me, I'd like to see the jawbone a bit smaller just for aesthetic reasons ;)

Berserker
07-03-2003, 12:16 AM
The jaw looks real. The teeth look too chalky. Often around the chin there are lotsa little foramen.

brittnell
07-03-2003, 12:25 AM
I'll also say that it's a very nice model, and sweet lighting as well, however, at the same time, I'd have to say it's about 95% of the way there (if "there" is a completely realistic human skull, which I'm assuming it is).

Personally, the jaw size doesn't bother me that much. I think the extra 5% lies almost soley in the teeth.

First of all, I'll second that they are too round. Specifically the central and lateral incisors on both the top and bottom.

It's a very slight thing, but the front faces need to be flattened out a bit if you're really shooting for believability.

Also regarding the teeth, the texture needs some work, as the current one doesn't look much different that the surrounding bone.

In other words, you need to put some enamel on them, with a bit of specular and a touch of reflection.

Again, beyond those minor tweaks, you've made a really sweet model!

Cheers,

[/b]

dur23
07-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Soulstorm
the teeth are too perfectly rounded and the symmetry in textures makes it look 'eh'..

look again...no symmetry in that texture...

LOOKS GREAT! Don't Change a thing...:thumbsup:

brittnell
07-03-2003, 02:23 AM
This is not a human skull, but nonetheless, I believe it does a good job of illustrating the texture point I was trying to make.
http://www.cinematico.com/images/bearteeth.jpg
Disregard the bear "gunk", and note the slight specularity, touch of reflection, and minimal bump. Especially in comparison to the skull texture.

Just trying to lend a hand...

[/b]

greengold
07-03-2003, 02:53 AM
What a great skull! I guess if you stare at it long enough someone will find flaws somewhere with it. The only thing that strikes me is that the teeth are a little to perfect, like others have noted. But I love it anyway. My humble amateur opinion.
:applause:

Berserker
07-03-2003, 05:16 AM
dont flatten the face, it looks perfectly prognathic

brittnell
07-03-2003, 05:35 AM
If you are refering to my comment, I think you missunderstand.

The sentence was in reference to the teeth, not to the face as a whole (which I agree is nice the way it is).

As for "staring at it long enough" to find faults, that's not it at all.

Maybe I came off too harsh in my first comment (maybe we should wait and see what betelgeuse's opinion is), but honestly, when I first saw it I thought, "holy crap, that's one sweet skull!".

Then about 5 seconds later I noticed the teeth, and thought they were the only thing holding the model back.

Contrary to assertions, I wasn't laboring over the image looking for some way to piss on the parade. It's just something I noticed, and thought the artist might like feedback on.

Maybe I've just been an Art Director for way too long, and have a knack for taking the wind out of people's sails and causing a rucus (isn't that what we do best?), or maybe I mistakenly got this forum confused with "Focused Critiques".

Anyhow, as I said before... 95% EXCELLENT IMO.

[/b]

betelgeuse
07-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Hey guys, thanks for looking. I can take the criticism; I may not necessarily agree with it, though ;) Although the jaw may be slightly tall, I think it's within normal limits. What it really needs is to have the back of the cranium extended posteriorly just a little more.

As far as textures go, I agree that the teeth texture is the weakest part. I have modified it so that it's a little more specular (as well as swinging the light source around to get a nice highlight). I don't think the teeth shape are too round, imo.

Yes, it is supposed to be anatomically correct. And, as far as I'm aware, there are no other foramen on the front of the jaw besides the mental foramen that I've included.

Anyway, thanks again for looking:
http://www.stratacafe.com/profiles/images/mike_gleason/228973200314231.jpg

HapZungLam
07-03-2003, 08:30 PM
are you using the same map for all of your teeth? well, i don't have a problem with it. But between every teeth, maybe you want to tweek the UV a little bit different. you had a bump for the skull? you sure want bumps on the teeth.

betelgeuse
07-04-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by HapZungLam
are you using the same map for all of your teeth? well, i don't have a problem with it. But between every teeth, maybe you want to tweek the UV a little bit different. you had a bump for the skull? you sure want bumps on the teeth.

It is one map, but each tooth has a separate UV. You're right, however, that I should probably dirty them up a little differently.

What kind of bump do you think would look good on the teeth?

Bliz
07-04-2003, 11:07 PM
I think the teeth would be helped if the canines were shaped more like canines. Most peoples canines are pointed, not in a count dracula stylee but definately pointed.

Still - great work. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.