PDA

View Full Version : convert avi to mov

juntao
07-02-2003, 08:35 PM
ok i rendered out a little animation and saved it as a .avi but now i want to convert it into .mov. i don't have any apps like premeire or final cut so is there a way to do the conversion in max?

Adso
07-03-2003, 12:49 AM
You could render out your stuff in .mov format directly from Max.
You could load the avi in videopost and render out a .mov.

Or if you've got an avi with audio on... Well, I had this problem recently trying to compress an avi movie to mov format. Even using premiere I wasn't happy about the compression I was getting at all. It was utter #$%&!

The solution - I upgraded to Apple Quicktime Pro. Doing that gives you new options in the Quicktime player to import avi files, and export in numerous formats with lots of compression / video / audio options. The size of the file was only a couple more meg than the divx version, and quality was comparable.

It didn't cost much at all (what is it, 20 something bucks?) but it saved me a tonne of stress and hassle. I pointed this option to a mate of mine and he too found it incredibly worthwhile for putting his company's showreel on their site. Worth checking out!

juntao
07-03-2003, 04:13 AM
how would i go about video post? when i try to "add image input event" max just crashed every time.

you really think going for QT pro is worth it? $20 isn't much but i'd rather see if i can do for free with max...

EDIT: its $30

Adso
07-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Errm, that's odd. Nothing special about "add image input event" really, it should take whatever file you throw at it.

Is your .avi file ok? Can you open and view it in Max? That should tell you if it's alright or not. A thought ... You could always just shove it in as a background map and render the thing out as .mov video. Slower but simpler.

Regarding the QT Pro - heck it sure was worth it for me. After 3 days of compression tests and getting nowhere, it did it in 3 minutes. But if you're just trying to do a quick conversion over to .mov format then max should be able to do it for you just fine (and like you say for free :) )

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.