PDA

View Full Version : Examples of Photoreal work.

Project813
07-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Hi, my company is considering picking up a 3d package for our use. Which could be huge for me, and my plans for the future as far as me gaining experience.

Im trying to get examples to show them of what these applications are capable (given the user is skilled). If some of you could point me in the direction of some photoreal work of tools, buildings, or stillife images in general, that would be a huge help.

I'll be posting this in the Lightwave, Maya and 3Dstudio max sections, and is in no way meant to start one of those "my app is better than yours" threads. They just want to see examples of all three.

:thumbsup:

Remi
07-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Newteks Gallery (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/gallery/spgm.php?g=LightWave3D)

Check it out...tons of images:thumbsup:

Geta-Ve
07-02-2003, 08:10 PM
well first of all check out the gallery section of www.newtek.com .... second, just look around here, you will find tons of amazing photoreal work..

unfortunatly i cant give you any "direct" links.... but seriously, easiest thing, use google.....lol just search up "photoreal work done in lightwave" or something like that, im sure tons will come up....... and same goes to any other software....

hope this helped just a bit...... ;)

EDIT: hahaha, 2 minutes apart... same info basically.........

leigh
07-02-2003, 08:10 PM
All of the popular 3D packages available these days (icluding LW, Max and Maya that you mentioned) are capable of producing decent renders.
But as far as photorealism is concerned, that really comes down to the artists themselves, and their ability to create realistic models, texturing and lighting.

Check out the gallery on Newteks site (www.newtek.com) and have a look at the LW gallery there. As for Maya stuff, just look at most of todays vfx-heavy films to see it's stuff in action, and I'm sure that discreet have a gallery on their site too for Max :)

Limbus
07-02-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Margus

If some of you could point me in the direction of some photoreal work of tools, buildings, or stillife images in general, that would be a huge help.

For photoreal architecture take a look at the gallery of http://www.cgarchitect.com/ you can sort it by used app.

Flo

JacquesD
07-02-2003, 09:18 PM
I'll agree with Leigh on this... I think you should stop thinking that realistic artworks will depend on the 3D packages you'd use but on the artist skills... I thought most people would have understood that by now.

my 2 cents.

ThirdEye
07-02-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
All of the popular 3D packages available these days (icluding LW, Max and Maya that you mentioned) are capable of producing decent renders.
But as far as photorealism is concerned, that really comes down to the artists themselves, and their ability to create realistic models, texturing and lighting.

Check out the gallery on Newteks site (www.newtek.com) and have a look at the LW gallery there. As for Maya stuff, just look at most of todays vfx-heavy films to see it's stuff in action, and I'm sure that discreet have a gallery on their site too for Max :)

I 100% agree with what Leigh said but there's a thing that should be considered: all the movies you see on the screen are indeed made also with Maya, but the render output is always Renderman. Maya's default renderer is not famous for its quality (especially the AA is really poor) and it can be really trivial to set up. In the most recent versions Alias|wavefront added a Mental Ray output, but it can't handle all the features of Maya (subdivision surfaces for example) and its integration is far worse than Softimage|XSI's for example. The 3DS Max scanliner isn't anything special too, but its quality can be enhanced by the several 3rd party renderers available out there (finalRender, Brazil rs, Vray...), obviously you'll have to spend a lot. Lightwave renderer is prolly the best among the ones you chose, i heard it's a bit slow but the output quality is really good as you can see in the Newtek.com gallery. I don't know if you avoided C4D, XSI and HDN on purpose, check them out too if you don't know them, they're all capable of great results in terms of photorealism. Just my 2 euro cents :)

EvilE
07-02-2003, 10:02 PM
I am for shure no maya fan but in Maya 5 you can render subds with Mental Ray .

EE

ThirdEye
07-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by EvilE
I am for shure no maya fan but in Maya 5 you can render subds with Mental Ray .

EE

Thanks EvilE, i didn't know that :) I've heard many complaints about that integration tho, but i can obviously be wrong since i didn't try it personally, the PLE doesn't come with Mental Ray :hmm:

Project813
07-03-2003, 02:04 PM
thank you all for your responses. Theyre much appreciated.

kryoboy
07-16-2004, 10:46 PM
cant go wrong with maya, lightwave, softimage or 3dstudio. all have ups and downs of diffrent nature, but are all capable of producing stunning images with the right artist.

i have been educated with max, and maya. I have taken a liking to maya for a few personal reasons, mainly because i have gotten to know it inside out, so its only natual for me because i have deadlines and i dont have time to lean max scripts, or expressions or whatever it has. I dunno anymore.. maya on the brain 24/7 lol.

* my first maya experiance was not good, being trained my max first.. ohh the confusion i was in about everything. It grows on you and isnt the most friendly package but packs a punch when u get to know her. by the end of my degree in animation max wasnt even a word to me anymore *

mayas mentalray is fine, but less user friendly, but defintly educational and powerful implimataion into maya shading networks, espically maya 6.

personaly if i was to learn another package it would be softimage.

Orkman
07-17-2004, 04:44 AM
These guys rock. Looks pretty real to me. Lightwave.

http://www.mir-visuals.com/arkitektur01.htm

HowardM
07-17-2004, 04:50 AM
These guys rock. Looks pretty real to me. Lightwave.

http://www.mir-visuals.com/arkitektur01.htm
NICE! I like the way they use humans, blurred, tweaked, to make the shot perfect!
:D

mandel
07-17-2004, 06:31 AM
http://www.raph.com has tons of amazing cg.

Ziah
07-17-2004, 07:17 AM
k i think it would be safe to say that lw has the best in app render without a third fprime has not surpassed it as yet as i find it has some problems with rendering hard edge subd's some weird shawdows here and there ...all things that do happen when your mesh is not smooth but render perfect in lw render......mental ray does supprt sub'd rendering if im not mistaken, final render and brazil are excellent as well

NeptuneImaging
07-17-2004, 08:36 PM
I have something that may look photoreal (my first time), but I am not finished with it yet...and I do not it is photorealistic enough for me...
It is a goblet and bowl that I am making for a school project and for my portfolio. After reviewing Leigh's book back and front, I figure I test my texturing skills. Mind you this cup is still being shaded for lighting conditions. I will also make a version with fingerprints as well as extreme damage done to it...

What do you think?

K.C. Riley/Freelance Artist

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.