PDA

View Full Version : Some Recent Maxscript practical work...

DaveWortley
02-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Guys, just thought I'd share something I've recently been working on.

The Task was to create an image of a Rugby players' face made up of individual signatures supplied from a collection of Irish Rugby Fans made at recent games.

This image would then be used on a website and each Rugby Fan could go onto the website, type in their name and find their signature on the image.

The client requested a stylised version of the image with impact, not anything that looked too much like a photo.

The whole image is made with pFlow + MaxScript. There were over 2500 unique signatures that had to be tracked and we ended up repeating them up and this image used somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000. The signatures were supplied at different thicknesses so thicker ones were placed in darker areas of the image, scale and orientation was set by Maxscript to help define the shape and contours of the face/body and it also picks up the colour as well, altho a lot more colour work was done in post.

Each signature was tracked and outputted to a data file which was then used by the web company to locate and overlay a copy of the signature on the rendered image.

http://www.bethedifference.ie - click on the rugby players face "Be the difference"

Unfortunetly at the last minute the client decided they wanted it on a blue background, which looks awful on this version and was not done by our production house, which is a shame. There is also a lot of quality loss on this, the original image was 16,000pixels wide. (think the website might have a few bugs on it getting the high res level to work).

There will be a 2nd image online soon which should hopefully be better quality as we comped it onto a blue background ourselves, and this used over 6000 unique signatures.

j-man
02-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Hey very cool Dave. I like this sort of application for PFlow and MXS.

J.

thatoneguy
02-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Very cool. I've done a similar technique for toon shading but the calcualtions take FOREVER. What was performance like with that many shapes? My solution exclusively used object+ and other PFlow stuff and I wonder if your maxscript approach would calculate positions faster.

EDIT: HA! I just searched for a Gavin and one of them signed "Chuck Norris" Go Gavins!

DaveWortley
03-02-2009, 01:17 AM
http://www.bethedifference.ie/#state=/O2%20Rugby%20Campaign/

The sites been update with the 2nd image and the engine has been improved now so the quality is better.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm still cheering for Ireland in the 6 Nations so we get another couple of images for the campaign!

DaveWortley
03-02-2009, 01:54 AM
Very cool. I've done a similar technique for toon shading but the calcualtions take FOREVER. What was performance like with that many shapes? My solution exclusively used object+ and other PFlow stuff and I wonder if your maxscript approach would calculate positions faster.

EDIT: HA! I just searched for a Gavin and one of them signed "Chuck Norris" Go Gavins!

They are all texture maps. no splines thankfully. My Machine was using the full 8gb of Ram to render it with al the textures in the memory. I had to use Scaneline because Vray was messing up with that number of textures for some reason. I didn't need to use object+ It was just the standard Position operator. Then it got the orientation by a very very very slow find target which pointed to some nice contour flowing splines i'd painted over the facial features. The slowness meant the particles didn't move far but they turned to face their nearest splines, kind of a magnet iron filing effect.

The outputting of the data didn't take too long.

JohnnyRandom
03-02-2009, 04:05 AM
Wow, that's really sweet! Nice job ;)

Fabiomussarela
03-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Dave, awesome work :) congratulations :)

j-man
03-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Hey BTW is this anything like microsoft seadragon ?

J.

DaveWortley
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey BTW is this anything like microsoft seadragon ?

J.

I think it's more like Google-earth than SeeDragon, I wasn't envovled with the actual website development, just this image, the data pipeline and the print versions, which look a hell of a lot better because we added a few thousand more extra signatures to make the image denser and get some better colour on. When we get them on our site I'll put a link here.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.