PDA

View Full Version : Give thickness to a bottle

MortenSJ
02-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Hello

I am quite new to Cinema 4D, but i some how managed to model a coke bottle. I modeled by using a cylinder and a hybernurb. I tried with the lath nurbs, but i kinda didnt work out. Anyways, i have my bottle, but there is no thickness at all. I have attached a picture showing what i meen.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4153/billede2wz8.png

Hope you guys can help me!

Umbra
02-18-2009, 07:12 PM
There used to be a make thicker free plugin, the link for it is dead.

Anyone have a link...

cmyk
02-18-2009, 07:27 PM
You can make a uniform thickness by dropping your mesh into a Cloth NURBS object (Under the Character Menu).

Here's the Hierarchy:

-HyperNURBS (Set subdivision to taste)
--Cloth NURBS (Set subdivision to zero, but set the Thickness Value to taste [probably a negative value in this case])
---The Mesh

AdamT
02-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Not necessary. Select all the polygons and extrude inward with the caps option turned on. Make sure you set the maximum angle parameter above 90.

You can also use an explosion deformer (cluster parameter), or if you have Cloth you can use a cloth nurbs object.

cmyk
02-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Of course, another more permanent way, is to select all the polys, and extrude toward the interior. Then clean up the interior by deleting polys and melding the points. The pros of using this method are that you can shape the interior non-uniformly like a real bottle.

In the future, it would be best to draw a spline of the profile (outside and in), in Illustrator, import it into C4D, then drop that into a Lathe NURB. Set the spline to uniform or adaptive so that the points in the spline find a happy medium. This will determine how the polys in your mesh will be created, so adjust the degrees of the angle in your spline, while you have Gouraud Shading (lines) turned on, so you can see the result.

When you are happy, Select the Lathe Object, and hit the C key to make it editable. Now you can add further detail in the bottle, such as the ribbing on the exterior of the bottle, and other things if needed.

The point is, start off simple and rough let Cinema do most of the heavy lifting and initial work as possible THEN go in and refine. This will come with experience and practice.

DaveD
02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
I was going to suggest the extrusion trick also but after looking at your model I wonder if you could fake it. If you select the top edge of your bottle and extruded that edge inward a couple times you might be able to simulate the thickness. Of course it wouldn't actually be thick all around but you'd never notice since you can't see it anyplace but the top unless you intended to break the glass and do a cutaway of some kind. Together with a nice shader that simulated the proper glass refraction you should be in business. If that still doesn't look quite right try adding displacement to your shader to give it a little thickness.

neitrok
02-19-2009, 11:55 AM
I think this free plugin is something you are looking for.
http://www.xsyann.com/
Jiri

3DBond
02-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Not necessary. Select all the polygons and extrude inward with the caps option turned on. Make sure you set the maximum angle parameter above 90.Agree. It also wouldn't be terribly difficult to make the inside less uniform.

The spline in illustrator is just frustrating for meI prefer the Loft method myself.

MortenSJ - 3DFluff Vol. 1 might be worth checking out.

Nanome
02-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Jiri
That plugin is fantastic!! Thanks for the link :)

pzdm
02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
There is an Explosion FX deformer, there is a thickness as well :-), really nice tool in many cases with dynamic thickness feature

P

SilverCity
02-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks, AdamT and Pavel. I wasn't aware that the Explosion FX deformer could add thickness to an object. Great tip!

Locobox
02-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Nice plug, I was looking for something like this :beer:

However Im not able to see it under the plugins tab in C4D! I unzipped it in the plugins folder and restarted c4d several times with no luck!

any ideas?

Im running R10.5 under winXP 32!

/Marc

Troyan
02-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Nice plug, I was looking for something like this :beer:

However Im not able to see it under the plugins tab in C4D! I unzipped it in the plugins folder and restarted c4d several times with no luck!

any ideas?

Im running R10.5 under winXP 32!

/Marc

It works in 10.5 on the Mac.

Troyan
02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Jiri

That's a great plugin. I can't believe this isn't a core deformer built into Cinema.

Locobox
02-21-2009, 10:26 PM
So its only a Mac plug!!? :sad:

Thanks Troyan!

Troyan
02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
So its only a Mac plug!!? :sad:

Thanks Troyan!

No, it's a C++ plug so it should work cross platform. Basically I confirmed it's working in 10.5, on the Mac at least.

JoelOtron
02-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Jiri

Thanks for that link
Some gems in there

Renderwise
02-22-2009, 05:33 PM
No, it's a C++ plug so it should work cross platform. Basically I confirmed it's working in 10.5, on the Mac at least.

And I can confirm it works on mac and c4d r11

Cheers!

sgiff
02-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Can't get any of these plugins to show up on PC. They look pretty useful though. Anyone have any ideas. I have 10.5.

Locobox
02-23-2009, 08:49 AM
@sgiff, I was starting to think it was only me!
I got the same configuration (C4D R10.5 WinXP 32) Already tried to install it on 2 different PCs with no luck!

Can't find any documentation on the dev site, Is the plug only for R11?

/Marc

CDCD
03-19-2009, 07:33 PM
I dont see the plugin too(PC). But in a Mac C4D-10 works perfectly.

Neil V
03-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Oh my God! How did I ever live without this plug-in? It's fantastic! Would be great if this became part of the core package.

fla
11-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Cant see it either....mac, cinema 11
video looks awesome, should definently be a part of cinema!

ClassicGamer
11-11-2009, 02:18 PM
what a fantastic response, I would have agreed with some of the suggestions too.

That's also a very good model of the coke bottle, it looks very good indeed.

That's what I love about this community there's always plenty of people to help you out!

Mattser
11-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Cant see it either....mac, cinema 11
video looks awesome, should definently be a part of cinema!

It works in Mac 11.5 and 11 - but only in 32 bit mode, at least under OS 10.5.6 .
Too bad, it really looks nice.

vid2k2
11-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Make thicker is a great little helper. I use it regularly.

However, I'd use extrude edge because the inside of the bottle is smooth,
and the bottom of the bottle is thicker than the sides would be.

Another option is to lathe/loft the interior of the bottle> make editable > bridge
the points to the existing mesh. Reverse normals and apply a nice heavy
refraction to the tint of the glass color.

Sample: outside contoured/inside smooth

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2009, 08:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.