PDA

View Full Version : two quadro cards under xp. help!

viob
02-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi there
This one is driving me crazy!

system
Sun workstation Ultra40
2 x amd opteron cpu
2 x nvidia quadro fx570
4gb ram
windows xp sp3

i installed and connected one monitor each to the two graphics cards. Btw both cards are running just fine if they are on their own.
Under Windows / Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager it shows both cards. I even uninstalled the Nvidia driver and installed them for both cards again. Driver version is not the latest, driver version 175.16.
After that one card is running fine, the other is listed in the Device Manager with an exclamation mark, saying ‘not enough resources’?!? I don’t get it…
Does anybody know a solution for that?
In the bios there is only a setting for enabling SLI. But I want to run 2 x 1 card on 1 monitor. So SLI I think is not the option to try…
Thx for your help.
Cheers
P

aglick
02-18-2009, 02:27 PM
you are probably out of "option rom" space in the motherboard's BIOS.

look it up... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_ROM

This can cause problems with booting and the OS seeing the devices properly.

Try turning off any unused on-board devices in your BIOS.

imashination
02-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Just out of curiosity, why 2 cards for 2 screens? The 570 is really a pretty slow card, the difference you'd notice in performance would be very slight.

viob
02-18-2009, 03:54 PM
The reason is that this workstation is for a lot of graphic related work as well. Adobe CS package and printing. We just recently bought a colour calibration set (spyder3) to get the monitors as close to colour proof as possible. As I found out Windows is not able to run two monitor profiles on one card. As the two monitors are slightly different in colour I have to run a specific profile for each of them... and this can only be achieved with two cards. In OSX they say you can handle two profiles in one card...
And we just had two spare 570 here in the office. I thought I start with two identical cards to make it easier :) nice try...
P

imashination
02-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Which colour system are you using to change them? The built in windows profiles, the driver, adobe gamma or the colormeters own software? Ive got individual control over each screen's profile here.

viob
02-19-2009, 08:41 AM
It's the software that came with Datacolor Spyder. How do you assing the monitor profiles to your individual screens?

p

imashination
02-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Go to your display settings, where you select the res/ re-arrange dual screens. Hit the advanced button on the bottom right and go to the colour management tab. What do you have in here?

viob
02-19-2009, 09:59 AM
If I go into that menu I see my monitor and I can load both profiles. But both monitors are the same make and therefore are listed with the same name in the hardware device manager. So I go into that colour managment tab on the left monitor and choose profile 1. I close everything and open the tab again on the right monitor and choose profile 2. If I go back to the left monitor it is on profile 2 as well...
How do you handle that? Do I miss something here?
P

vlad
02-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Well I have the same problem here. I calibrated both my monitors separately, therefore I have two color profiles in the list. But if I assign a profile to one monitor, the other monitor automatically gets it assigned also.

imashination
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
I dont have an xp machine handy, but even though under vista both screens are listed the same. If I apply a profile to one screen, the other doesnt change, so it appears both can be handled separately.

jipe
02-19-2009, 08:29 PM
I had the same problem with XP/dual monitors/custom color profiles, but I recently moved and am currently only using one monitor. However, my research a few weeks back led to this program (http://www.hex2bit.com/products/product_mcw.asp) as a possible solution for assigning separate profiles to each monitor.

viob
02-20-2009, 09:05 AM
@jipe
I couldn't find any hint hoe to handle two different profiles in the software you listed...
and it's creating another file type for the profiles. the datacolour software creates *.icm files.

@imashination
it looks like vista can finally handle two different profiles. xp is still stuck with one per graphic card...

any other ideas anybody?
thx
p

vizion
02-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Try switching to vista perhaps..

viob
02-20-2009, 04:25 PM
hm. let me think about it....
no.
because then we have to switch 20 machines to vista which is not really working well with 3dmax as far as I heard/read about it.
but thx for the comment.
p

aglick
02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
hm. let me think about it....
no.
because then we have to switch 20 machines to vista which is not really working well with 3dmax as far as I heard/read about it.
but thx for the comment.
p

huh?

I haven't heard that.

We have thousands of 3DSMAX 2008/2009 users running Vista 64 on our machines with virtually zero problems reported with stability or performance.

Of course, your SUN workstations may not be happy about running Vista...

viob
02-24-2009, 10:04 AM
... and that's perfectly fine. I just say switching to Vista is not an option right now.

Now please can we get back to the main problem here?

Windows XP. One graphic card (quadro fx570). Two monitors. Is it possible to handle two individual colour profiles (*.icm files) with one card?
Thx
p

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2009, 10:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.