PDA

View Full Version : Teapot Invaders!

labbejason
02-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Tried out another game! Lots of fun making this one. Went with Space Invaders with classic teapots.

Check out a screen capture of it here:
http://www.jasonlabbe3d.com/animationFiles/screenCaps/teapotInvaders_screenCap.mov

or download the game from here (mzp file, so drag & drop in max, restart, and check under JDLtools):
http://www.jasonlabbe3d.com/files/scripts/JDL_teapotInvaders.zip

Have fun :P

martroyx
02-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Nice work Jason :thumbsup:

I think lightning are too fast, they're really hard to avoid and they always seam
to hit you when you go for the power up ...:eek:

Martin

PEN
02-18-2009, 02:34 PM
I love it J, Great work, I would have thought that they were keeping you busier over there at Frantic. I will have to tell Chris you have more free time;)

Well done.

Dimich
02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Heh, neat stuff! It is a bit too fast for the first levels though I think. How about pacman now:)

labbejason
02-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys! I sort of consider myself a gamer, and I don't find it THAT hard soooo.. :P That's the whole reason the teapots charge up to white, so it gives you just enough reaction time. It kind of reminds me of Nintendo games where they are 100x more harder than today's games.

I actually tried to do Pacman before, Dimitry, but when I put in the first ghost, max was chugging. Probably really sloppy scripting on my part, but maybe I'll give it another try later.

Trust me Paul, the last thing I need is MORE work!

martroyx
02-18-2009, 09:32 PM
...but maybe I'll give it another try later.

Cool !!! let us know when you do, I badly want to make one too :-P

LoneRobot
02-19-2009, 08:49 AM
great work Jason, nothing left for you to do except make a max version of Horace goes Skiing. That still kicks Halo's arse

diffx
02-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Nice job Jason! Guess it's my turn again..hmm.. how about minesweeper? :)

Mathieson
02-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Great job Jay!

Hey, Jerry, remember Frogger? I used to be so into this game. Getting that frog across the street was my entire life.
Hint hint..

labbejason
02-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Thanks guys.

martroyx: Will do :). You should give it a try too!

LoneRobot: hehe that looks like a fun one! Got to love the classic games. It could be a biped that skis down.

diffx: I think you should try out either minesweeper or asteroids!

Mathieson: Holes! I need holes!

Fabiomussarela
02-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Hehe, awesome :) Congratulations jason :)

martroyx
02-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Will do :). You should give it a try too!

sure, I'm in :)

labbejason
02-22-2009, 02:50 AM
Thanks Fabio!

Looking forward to what you come up with, Martin.

martroyx
02-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi Jason,

finally finished my version of pacman :-)
the ghost part was the funniest to do ... I may add more level when I get
more time !

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/pacmax

Hope you like it,
Martin

labbejason
02-26-2009, 03:44 AM
Hey Martin,

I'm trying to run pacMax but it's giving me a dotNet error of an invalid directory for some reason. I'm thinking that it may just be an error on my part. I put the two files at:
\3ds Max 2008\Scripts\pacmax\

Using Max 2008 32 bit by the way.

From what the screen shot shows, it looks really hilarious! I guess this means that it's my turn eh? Suggestions? :)

labbejason
02-26-2009, 03:56 AM
Never mind, got it working! Just needed to restart.

Soooo good!! You got Blinky's AI to follow pacman! I would only restrict the player from being able to hold down the arrow keys so he's forced to move slowly and so he can't accidentally go through a ghost while going fast. Very funny stuff, pacman's moving animation made me laugh.

Dimich
02-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Wow, cool stuff! Would it be possible to release the code for learning? Maybe the source code for the API you have there as well? Would really appreciate it!

Mathieson
02-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Great job Martin! Lots of fun.

martroyx
02-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Thank you guy, glad you like it :)

I would only restrict the player from being able to hold down the arrow keys so he's forced to move slowly and so he can't accidentally go through a ghost while going fast.

in fact I could have calculated the player vs ghost collision on every move but I leave it on ghost move for speed purpose of course :-)

Would it be possible to release the code for learning?

well of course , just need to clean this a bit because it's a bit messy :-)
the code for the win32 wrapper is free and can be downloaded from :
http://mwinapi.sourceforge.net/
so Jason, what about a pinball machine , that would be nice I think :wip:

Martin

DaveWortley
02-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Frogger, or one of those old fashioned racing games would be cool!

LoneRobot
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM
how about putting a few of these on planes in the viewport and enabling walkthrough assistant, could be just the same if you made the sound effects yourself.

PEN
02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Great pacmax game, I thought about this as well in the walk through mode. My son loves mazes and I thought about doing a corn maze type idea but with things you need to pick up or avoid, then I thought of Pacman and then you posted this. How we all think a like.

martroyx
02-27-2009, 03:15 PM
I posted the code on scriptspot, there's not to much comment so you just have to figure out ;)

Martin

labbejason
02-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Doom would be pretty fun :). Someone at work gave me a really good idea that I want to try out, but I'll keep it a secret for now!

Thanks for posting the code, Martin. Will be very useful.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2009, 10:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.